USS Bon Homme Richard (CVA 31) Vietnam era - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: USS Bon Homme Richard (CVA 31) Vietnam era

So correct

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    The pilot house on an Essex is nearly the size and arrangement of that of a Fletcher Class destroyer, pretty small for a fair sized ship because of the narrowness of the island. . I see that you did get the "Conflagration Station" in the hangar deck! There was also as I recall a large fire door that could divide the hangar deck in two.

Great ship!
    I remember when touring Yorktown down inCharleston how small it was compared to theKittyhawk class (USS AMERICA CVA-66)

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Mighty fine work!!!
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

Gauge

Testing all the animation and lights with the gauge

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GAUGE.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by CIMOGT View Post
    Testing all the animation and lights with the gauge

Impressive...

Formation

USS BON HOMME RICHARDS

USS LEXINGTON

USS HANCOCK

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CV31.jpg   CV16.jpg   CV19.jpg  

Beautiful work!
    If you need assistance with the Air Wing skins, let me know and i will gladly lend a hand.
    Really looking forward to their launching.

Cheers!
    Deke

BTW, if any of you have a spare 16 minutes (does anyone really), here is a recent youtube video of Oriskany- be gentle - my rig is in the autumn of its existence...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH8ezfRjH0A

All the best.

uTube Video

Great video, TAKE 5 minutes (actually 15) to view it. I wish I could do video like that. I have trouble taking clear jpgs LOL

Thanks

hi Deke

thank you for the offer of help, as soon as the gauge is finished (i hope this weekend) i send you an PM to evaluate what scheme and squadrons will be reproduce, the formation in the deck at this time are:

f-8 crusader
    a-7 corsair II
    e-1 tracer
    a-4c
    a-4f
    ka-3b

the aircraft have individuals textures to have different numbers in each plane

regards

Walter

Quote Originally Posted by navy81 View Post
    Beautiful work!
    If you need assistance with the Air Wing skins, let me know and i will gladly lend a hand.
    Really looking forward to their launching.

Cheers!
    Deke

BTW, if any of you have a spare 16 minutes (does anyone really), here is a recent youtube video of Oriskany- be gentle - my rig is in the autumn of its existence...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH8ezfRjH0A

All the best.

Outstanding job ! Can't wait to add this beauty !!!

Plane Guards

hi Deke

thank you for the offer of help, as soon as the gauge is finished (i hope this weekend) i send you an PM to evaluate what scheme and squadrons will be reproduce, the formation in the deck at this time are:

f-8 crusader
    a-7 corsair II
    e-1 tracer
    a-4c
    a-4f
    ka-3b

regards

Walter
    If you setup a plane guard helo, use the same helo from Oriskany, UH2A Seasprite. You can find the Det's at the Carrier/Airwing site I linked above.

Test animations video

Some of the animation added to the model

hi Deke

f-8 crusader
    a-7 corsair II
    e-1 tracer
    a-4c
    a-4f
    ka-3b

regards

Walter
    Walter,
    Sounds great! I am not sure if you are able to configure the Air Wings beyond where you have gone alrady, but if you have the A-4's, you might consider leaving out the A-7's - they never were together in any of the Air Wings on Lex, Hancock, or Bonnie Dick - and never even routinely served aboard them, but they made one deployment on Tico (together with A-4's), and did serve on Oriskany (but not together with A-4's) - if you want to go to the difficulty of making separate configurations.
    I think I would create Skins for CVW-5 (NF) and CVW-21 (NP) for Hancock (2 separate sets), CVW-19 (NM), CVW-21 (NP), and CVW-5 (NF) for Bonnie Dick (3 sets). Lexington really did not deploy with the aircraft configuration you have set up - she was redesignated a CVS (from CVA) in early '60s - and then went only on a single 1 month deployment. For her, if you possibly could, change the static aircraft set to only TA-4's and maybe T-2's if they could be found. I have seen statics of those (if I recall correctly) by Guy Diotte over at Simviation in the past.
    Anyhow - lots of potential here and I know many are really looking forward to the culmination of your hard work!
    Many thanks and cheers!
    Deke

Hopefully we will also see cleared deck and hangar bay versions of these carriers....so we can configure them for the new stuff coming out from Simworks Studios?
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

CIMOGT:

Here is a useful web sit I use as a reference frequently that will show you how to configure historically accurate Air Wings. You can navigate to all the carriers and you need to look on each carrier's main page for the tab "deployments" that will then show the aircraft type and squadrons for each deployment.

https://www.navysite.de/cv/cv31deploy.htm
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

The Hancock in certain years (eg 1958) had as many as six different main fixed wing type of aircraft, FYI.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Folding elevator

Looking at frame 2:03 I noticed the elevator folding. Just an FYI; I was on this ship and the elevators never did that when I was aboard.

Some of the animation added to the model

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Looking at frame 2:03 I noticed the elevator folding. Just an FYI; I was on this ship and the elevators never did that when I was aboard.
    Likely wouldn't have been done often but the edge lift on the Essex class were designed to fold as shown, presumably something to do with getting through the Panama canal?

Pretty sure I've also seen shots of the Iwo Jima and/or Tarawa class doing the same though haven't been able to confirm yet.
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lex1.jpg   lex2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by fallenphoenix1986 View Post
    Likely wouldn't have been done often but the edge lift on the Essex class were designed to fold as shown, presumably something to do with getting through the Panama canal?

Pretty sure I've also seen shots of the Iwo Jima and/or Tarawa class doing the same though haven't been able to confirm yet.
    I stand corrected - The folding elevator was before my time (circa WWII). I've sailed on two Essex class carriers and they both may of previously had a deck edge elevator like that but they
    never "folded" such as that during my cruises to Viet-Nam -We never had to sail thru the "big ditch" (Canal Zone) so I wouldn't of known.
    I would always see them raise and lower -not fold; was not aware that the deck edge elevators did fold. Interesting.

EDIT: Pictures of carrier above ^ look to illustrate before they were retrofitted with angled deck (SCB-125) and allow operation of jet aircraft (SCB-27C) May 1953.
    Ship Characteristics Board Program 27 explained here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCB-27
    Last edited by gray eagle; October 27th, 2018 at 05:49.

Wal ……….. Lexington really did not deploy with the aircraft configuration you have set up - she was redesignated a CVS (from CVA) in early '60s - and then went only on a single 1 month deployment. For her, if you possibly could, change the static aircraft set to only TA-4's and maybe T-2's if they could be found. ----------- Deke
    LEX was re-designated in her final years as an AVT, based out of Pensacola for training command use. In addition to T-A-4s and T-2s, the Rreplacement Air Groups (RAGs) for the A-4, A-7 and A-6 routinely used LEX for replacement pilots, getting 10 day and 6 night traps before going on to fleet squadrons. The F-4, F-14, RA-5, E-2 could not be handled, so they used fleet carriers assigned for CQ duty off the east/west coast.

AVT officially was a designation as "Auxiliary Aviation Training" ship, had no combat capability and was not counted as part of the official aircraft carrier force structure.

Wal ……….. Lexington really did not deploy with the aircraft configuration you have set up - she was redesignated a CVS (from CVA) in early '60s - and then went only on a single 1 month deployment. For her, if you possibly could, change the static aircraft set to only TA-4's and maybe T-2's if they could be found. ----------- Deke
    LEX was re-designated in her final years as an AVT, based out of Pensacola for training command use. In addition to TA-4s and T-2s, the east coast Replacement Air Groups (RAGs) for the A-4, A-7 and A-6 routinely used LEX for replacement pilots, getting 10 day and 6 night traps before going on to fleet squadrons. The F-4, F-14, RA-5, E-2 could not be handled, so they used fleet carriers assigned for CQ duty off the east/west coast.

AVT officially was a designation as "Auxiliary Aviation Training" ship, had no combat capability and was not counted as part of the official aircraft carrier force structure.

Walter,
    Sounds great! I am not sure if you are able to configure the Air Wings beyond where you have gone alrady, but if you have the A-4's, you might consider leaving out the A-7's - they never were together in any of the Air Wings on Lex, Hancock, or Bonnie Dick - and never even routinely served aboard them, but they made one deployment on Tico (together with A-4's), and did serve on Oriskany (but not together with A-4's) - if you want to go to the difficulty of making separate configurations.
    I think I would create Skins for CVW-5 (NF) and CVW-21 (NP) for Hancock (2 separate sets), CVW-19 (NM), CVW-21 (NP), and CVW-5 (NF) for Bonnie Dick (3 sets). Lexington really did not deploy with the aircraft configuration you have set up - she was redesignated a CVS (from CVA) in early '60s - and then went only on a single 1 month deployment. For her, if you possibly could, change the static aircraft set to only TA-4's and maybe T-2's if they could be found. I have seen statics of those (if I recall correctly) by Guy Diotte over at Simviation in the past.
    Anyhow - lots of potential here and I know many are really looking forward to the culmination of your hard work!
    Many thanks and cheers!
    Deke
    In this model the air wing in deck is in a separated 3d model this make more easy edit the component of the squadrons, now i retired the a-7 and added more A-4

Very nice!
    Can more than a single A-4 squadron skin set be done for each Air Wing? With Oriskany, there is only a single mat set for each type aircraft. Not sure if you that will be the case since you had indicated that each aircraft will have its own MODEX/side number. I wouldnt hold up the process for that, but that would make it that much more realistic to the actual Air Wing/Ship combination.
    Standing by for this great work of yours!

Deke

Very nice!
    Can more than a single A-4 squadron skin set be done for each Air Wing? With Oriskany, there is only a single mat set for each type aircraft. Not sure if you that will be the case since you had indicated that each aircraft will have its own MODEX/side number. I wouldnt hold up the process for that, but that would make it that much more realistic to the actual Air Wing/Ship combination.
    Standing by for this great work of yours!

Deke
    in this case I'm trying to have each model have its individual textures, so you can put each aircraft with an individual number and the scheme you want

in this case I'm trying to have each model have its individual textures, so you can put each aircraft with an individual number and the scheme you want
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 1