A Stearman Haven - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Stearman Haven

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Sorry I'm late!! The Tower you're missing is actually in one of the FSX default libraries (Buildings.bgl). I loaded Instant Scenery to check it and you can see the highlited Tower and the object listing in the smaller window. Not certain why it wouldn't be showing since it's a default object.

Tower-apr-5-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr
    Hi Ed,

I just checked.
    I have Orbx scenery (Global, Vector, Open LC NA) for this region.
    In my C: FSX/Scenery/Global/scenery folder I have buildings.bgl file of 23,878 KB size, but not sure what's inside it as can't open it.
    I know Orbx did a lot of changes to scenery during the installation process and I let their installers do their thing without interfering.

If the tower object is really missing here, is there a way of adding it back as a scenery object for KCRS, like the green C-47, or ?
    Last edited by MZee1960; April 5th, 2020 at 15:10.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    Hi Ed,

I just checked.
    In my C: FSX/Scenery/Global/scenery folder I have buildings.bgl file of 23,878 KB size, but not sure what's inside it as can't open it.
    I know Orbx did a lot of changes to scenery during the installation process and I let their installers do their thing without interfering.

If the tower object is really missing here, is there a way of adding it back as a scenery object for KCRS, like the green C-47, or ?
    The Orbx scenery shouldn't be a problem, as I have exactly what you have installed and my tower shows fine. I checked my "Buildings.bgl" and yours is much larger. Since we both apparently have the same installations it's odd that mine is one size and yours another. By the way, mine is dated 9/26/2007 (16,632kb).
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

The Orbx scenery shouldn't be a problem, as I have exactly what you have installed and my tower shows fine. I checked my "Buildings.bgl" and yours is much larger. Since we both apparently have the same installations it's odd that mine is one size and yours another. By the way, mine is dated 9/26/2007 (16,632kb).
    Hi Ed,

mine is dated 16/08/2006 .

Thank-you, for checking.

Milan .....
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

Hi Ed,

I just checked.

If you install ModelConverterX, you can view all the objects inside a .bgl file. This object in question is named gen_yardtower 9d4d839e-0f93-4dc0-baa0-7c55d11a3264. If your buildings.bgl does not have it, some other program has overwritten it.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sieggie View Post
    If you install ModelConverterX, you can view all the objects inside a .bgl file. This object in question is named gen_yardtower 9d4d839e-0f93-4dc0-baa0-7c55d11a3264. If your buildings.bgl does not have it, some other program has overwritten it.

Dave
    Found no such object anywhere.

Thank-you, for your input.
    MZ...
    Cheers, MZee ...

Sorry I'm late!! The Tower you're missing is actually in one of the FSX default libraries (Buildings.bgl). I loaded Instant Scenery to check it and you can see the highlited Tower and the object listing in the smaller window. Not certain why it wouldn't be showing since it's a default object.

Tower-apr-5-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

I'm trying to follow along on the buildings.bgl file for FSX that Mzee brought up. Out of curiosity, I was looking for that file in _P3D V3 and did not find that file yet it seems the airport
    is displayed okay in P3D V3. Maybe that buildings file is not used in P3D

a question about the A_controltower_t.dds file. I backed up my original file first then copied this one to the world/scenery folder (As per readme)
    I wonder if that file could of worked if it were installed in the Corsicana texture folder instead?

There are two files material_6_0.dds and material_6.dds - do they go to the Corsicana texture folder?

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I'm trying to follow along on the buildings.bgl file for FSX that Mzee brought up. Out of curiosity, I was looking for that file in _P3D V3 and did not find that file yet it seems the airport

a question about the A_controltower_t.dds file. I backed up my original file first then copied this one to the world/scenery folder (As per readme)
    I wonder if that file could of worked if it were installed in the Corsicana texture folder instead?

No. I tried that and the control tower resolution just remained the same as default. I just simply renamed the original entry in the World/scenery folder to xxxxxx_t.ddsoff and then copy\pasted the version included in the download to the same folder, and it worked fine. I can also revert back to the old file easily if need be by renaming it back and deleting the 'new' one.

Do you, by chance have REX for airport textures ?
    Apart from missing the buildings.bgl file specific for the tower, I also seem to have a nicely paved concrete runway where the grass landing strip should be. I suspect it's a REX texture because REX provides runway textures for all airports found in the original FSX provided they are not third party addons with alternate, specific, ground textures included in the package already.
    Cheers, MZee ...

There are two files material_6_0.dds and material_6.dds - do they go to the Corsicana texture folder?
    the A_controltower_t.dds texture file needs to be in the texture directory at the same level as the scenery directory with the buildings.bgl it is used by. This file is a higher resolution version of the one you overwrite.

The material* dds files go with railing.bgl and need to be in the Corsicana_Fld\texture directory so the railing.bgl can find them.

Dave

I did not find in P3d this buildings.dds file. Is this an instant scenery file or exclusive to FSX?

Thanks
    Hi,

The file I seem to be missing is called 'gen_yardtower 9d4d839e-0f93-4dc0-baa0-7c55d11a3264' , (as per Dave's post #54 above), and is found inside the FSX default library 'buildings.bgl'.

Somehow, I can't find it. If the file is not part of the downloaded scenery package, and is called on to show in sim, then FSX will look for it in the default library.

I think I could potentially download and install this file manually inside the KCRS folder, but where to find it ?

Sadly, I think, for me, it's time to accept what happened, and move on to other things.
    Cheers, MZee ...

It looks like some other program, installation, update, etc has overwritten the "Buildings.bgl" file that is a default FSX file as I mentioned above. . .it would also have been default in P3D. Now I have installed P3D_V4.5, Orbx Basic, Vector Landclass and a number of other Orbx regions yet I don't have the problem you display and as we've seen your buildings.bgl file has a different date and size. I can send you my version and you can try that. . .but because there's no way to tell what changed to cause yours to lose that object, there's also no way to tell what replacing your version will do to some other scenery down the road.

Bottom line here is that given that we both have the same basic scenery and Sims there's no reason you should be having this problem. I will post a zip with the file you need here. Save the one you have currently by either renaming it or moving it to your desktop temporarily. Try the new one I send you and see if it fixes the problem.

Update: Just to be sure, I checked both buildings.bgl files (FSX & P3D) and that tower is in both those bgl's, but neither file is as large as the one you have (?)
    Here is the bgl file. . .see if this works.
    Last edited by falcon409; April 6th, 2020 at 16:52. Reason: Added Info

Current System Specs:

It looks like some other program, installation, update, etc has overwritten the "Buildings.bgl" file that is a default FSX file as I mentioned above. . .it would also have been default in P3D. Now I have installed P3D_V4.5, Orbx Basic, Vector Landclass and a number of other Orbx regions yet I don't have the problem you display and as we've seen your buildings.bgl file has a different date and size. I can send you my version and you can try that. . .but because there's no way to tell what changed to cause yours to lose that object, there's also no way to tell what replacing your version will do to some other scenery down the road.

Bottom line here is that given that we both have the same basic scenery and Sims there's no reason you should be having this problem. I will post a zip with the file you need here. Save the one you have currently by either renaming it or moving it to your desktop temporarily. Try the new one I send you and see if it fixes the problem.

Update: Just to be sure, I checked both buildings.bgl files (FSX & P3D) and that tower is in both those bgl's, but neither file is as large as the one you have (?)
    Hi Ed,

I will give it a try and see if it helps. It's a mystery, but what can you do. I downloaded a lot of your great scenery packs in the past, and have had no issues with them.

Latest one is here : http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/118901-A2A-Free-P-40-Accu-sim?p=1216075&viewfull=1#post1216075

This one fits in well with other airports in the area, like 2B2, 6B6, KACK and KBID.

Thanks, again, for all the help,

Milan .....
    Cheers, MZee ...

Hi Ed,

I tried your 'buildings.bgl' file with the same result - no tower is displayed.
    I wonder if Orbx's Vector has anything to do with this, even though KCRS elevations seem fine and can't find KCRS listed in either the 'enabled' or the 'disabled' side of the Vector AEC Tool.

It's too bad I cannot get the tower to show to complete the picture 'so to speak'.

Thank-you for your help and input, but I think it's time for me to put this scenery aside for a while.

Cheers, Milan ....
    Last edited by MZee1960; April 9th, 2020 at 19:29.
    Cheers, MZee ...

I got an answer from Avsim today ......... kind of makes sense.

It seems the 'buildings.bgl' file is a directory of the various textures available in the sim for various default (building) objects. A given scenery package contains folders (scenery, texture) for some items which are custom made for it, then in FSX, the sim will be called on to use the 'buildings.bgl' file to locate any textures the scenery package is using that are 'default'. The sim will then get 'directions' from the .bgl file as to where to find the texture in question - usually in the FSX/Texture folder. If the textures are not there, then nothing is displayed in sim. Apparently there exist some default textures in FSX which, although present, are deemed 'incomplete' in some versions of FSX and only partially display the needed object in sim.

I think I'm missing the texture file (as Dave mentioned above) for 'gen_yardtower 9d4d839e-0f93-4dc0-baa0-7c55d11a3264'.
    Cheers, MZee ...

I got an answer from Avsim today ......... kind of makes sense.

It seems the 'buildings.bgl' file is a directory of the various textures available in the sim for various default (building) objects. A given scenery package contains folders (scenery, texture) for some items which are custom made for it, then in FSX, the sim will be called on to use the 'buildings.bgl' file to locate any textures the scenery package is using that are 'default'. The sim will then get 'directions' from the .bgl file as to where to find the texture in question - usually in the FSX/Texture folder. If the textures are not there, then nothing is displayed in sim. Apparently there exist some default textures in FSX which, although present, are deemed 'incomplete' in some versions of FSX and only partially display the needed object in sim.

I think I'm missing the texture file (as Dave mentioned above) for 'gen_yardtower 9d4d839e-0f93-4dc0-baa0-7c55d11a3264'.
    Actually if a scenery object fails to find the textures needed to give the object it's "realism" then that object normally appears as black, not transparent. What they told you about the building.bgl is common to all scenery objects. Each bgl file, whether it's an object library (contains a grouping of scenery objects) or a single object bgl there will always be a corresponding texture folder. So no mystery there. The mystery here is that the object doesn't display at all, as though there is an exclude overriding that particular area and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense really.

Have you tried deleting that scenery completely, downloading it again and installing to see if that corrects the problem?

Current System Specs:

Actually if a scenery object fails to find the textures needed to give the object it's "realism" then that object normally appears as black, not transparent. What they told you about the building.bgl is common to all scenery objects. Each bgl file, whether it's an object library (contains a grouping of scenery objects) or a single object bgl there will always be a corresponding texture folder. So no mystery there. The mystery here is that the object doesn't display at all, as though there is an exclude overriding that particular area and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense really.

Have you tried deleting that scenery completely, downloading it again and installing to see if that corrects the problem?
    Hi Ed,

I just finished downloading and installing the KCRS basic scenery (without the 'fixes' for the fence, aircraft etc. yet). Below pics are what I get with the re-install. Not much difference, I think.

YoYo had mentioned in his post above that he sees what appears to be two different 'airport sceneries' in one ?

I have no Orbx freeware airport packs or other 'Corsicana' airport scenery.

When I call up the 'default' KCRS in sim (with just Orbx Global, Vector, Open LC NA and REX Essentials running), I get an asphalt runway with white markings, a few generic autogen hangars, an airport flood light tower, and some electrical boxes surrounded by a chainlink fence.

When I install your KCRS, I still get the same flood light tower, the electrical boxes surrounded by a chainlink fence, but a different runway texture (with no white markings this time), along with your scenery (buildings, jeeps, aircraft, etc.) What is very strange is, I also get what appears to be the floating, waving guy, behind whom I can see 4 or 5 window/screens and a couple of faint vertical lines (my post#47 here : http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1215937) ...... all of which may belong to a tower texture which is either mostly missing or perhaps incomplete/corrupt ? This would lead me to conclude I don't have a correct tower texture in the FSX folder, and/or something is trying to overwrite (and maybe prevent) the correct textures from showing in sim. That something may well be responsible for the asphalt runway textures which show up, even though they're not part of your scenery.

Cheers, MZee ...

Both runways appear as asphalt on my screen ...... (not grass).

Maybe there is somewhere an Orbx entry for KCRS in their Global, Open LC or Vector folders which has a file for KCRS that needs to be renamed to 'off' ? I just can't find it.
    It's just too bad I can't pinpoint whether Orbx (or maybe even REX) is causing this anomaly.

I think it's best I move on, it's frustrating, yes, but what else to do, lol ?

Cheers, MZee ...

The file "Buildings.bgl" resides in the Scenery\Global\Scenery folder and the needed texture "USa01yardtower_All.dds" is located in the corresponding texture folder. I have read back through all the posts and I don't see where that was checked unless I missed it. Below is what the texture sheet looks like:

Current System Specs:

Mzee, what I see on Your screenshots it isnt default runway's texture. It looks like you have problem with other addon, maybe REX, I dont know. I use REX Texture Direct - Enhanced Edition for asphalt runways. I didnt have any problem here (but its P3Dv4).

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Mzee, what I see on Your screenshots it isnt default runway's texture. It looks like you have problem with other addon, maybe REX, I dont know. I use REX Texture Direct - Enhanced Edition for asphalt runways. I didnt have any problem here (but its P3Dv4).
    Thank-you, @YoYo, I also suspect REX Essentials has something to do with these runway textures showing up over the grass strips.

I'll have to investigate further, and play around with the REX Essentials pop-up configuration panel a bit.

Good thing the asphalt runways are in the correct spots, at least, lol !
    Last edited by MZee1960; April 11th, 2020 at 18:42.
    Cheers, MZee ...

The file "Buildings.bgl" resides in the Scenery\Global\Scenery folder and the needed texture "USa01yardtower_All.dds" is located in the corresponding texture folder. I have read back through all the posts and I don't see where that was checked unless I missed it. Below is what the texture sheet looks like:

It worked ! The tower is now present.

Thank-you, so much, Ed, and everyone here for your input !

I checked my folder structure over many times and all was OK, but the "USa01yardtower_All.dds" was obviously corrupt as only the 'windows' were showing in sim.
    I noted Ed's texture file had a newer date from my version, so I opted to simply swap it out with Ed's version ....... and voila ! All OK now.

I just have to find a way of removing the two asphalt runways and bring back the preferred grass strips they overlay .... a REX Essentials issue most likely.
    Will have to play around with the REX pop-up configuration tool a bit.

Cheers,
    Milan .....
    Last edited by MZee1960; April 11th, 2020 at 18:44.
    Cheers, MZee ...

The asphalt runway textures seem to be linked to my Orbx Vector configuration.
    I found a file in the FSX\ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_APT\scenery called 'ABP_KCRS.bgl' which I renamed to 'off'.
    The result was no asphalt runways visible at ground level, but asphalt started to gradually re-appear as elevation above airport gradually increased ....
    ..... at higher elevation, both asphalt runways showed up again.

So, (with thanks to Dave for pointing me in this direction), I know the asphalt runway is somehow connected to my Orbx setup, which may need some tweaking to get just right.
    Cheers, MZee ...

Static Aircraft

I like having extra aircraft on the field especially like here when they would have had dozens of them. You can get around static aircraft with AI. On my Hawthorne AAF I created 24 Stearmans each properly numbered from photos in the class book I was fortunate to download and made them from Dave Eckhardt's Stearman PT13. then In AIFP3 I created flight plans for them flying to and from the two auxiliary airfields Hagood and Kennedy I also created in ADEx from photos (with a little artistic license as Ed did). At different times of the day starting right after morning chow at 0800 they start doing flight ops until 1600. It is so real to see them all lined up in the morning mist just after reveille which BTW is actually sounded along with morning colors with effects I created and so much fun to watch. You can even fly in the front cockpit with "your student" in FSX in the aircraft views. I believe that I posted screenshots here. the only problem that I had is when I used some stock hangers and in daytime they look great but at night are lit all night. At first it bothered me but I guess the mechanics are working all night fixing the aircraft that the students "beat to death" LOL during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I like having extra aircraft on the field especially like here when they would have had dozens of them. You can get around static aircraft with AI. On my Hawthorne AAF I created 24 Stearmans each properly numbered from photos in the class book I was fortunate to download and made them from Dave Eckhardt's Stearman PT13. then In AIFP3 I created flight plans for them flying to and from the two auxiliary airfields Hagood and Kennedy I also created in ADEx from photos (with a little artistic license as Ed did). At different times of the day starting right after morning chow at 0800 they start doing flight ops until 1600. It is so real to see them all lined up in the morning mist just after reveille which BTW is actually sounded along with morning colors with effects I created and so much fun to watch. You can even fly in the front cockpit with "your student" in FSX in the aircraft views. I believe that I posted screenshots here. the only problem that I had is when I used some stock hangers and in daytime they look great but at night are lit all night. At first it bothered me but I guess the mechanics are working all night fixing the aircraft that the students "beat to death" LOL during the day.
    When I downloaded my RealAir Spitfire, I found it came with an airfield, 'RAF West Malling', and some AI Spitfires as well. I installed both addons, started my free flight at RAF West Malling ...... and to this day still take off and fly circuits in the area with all the AI Spitfires. Very entertaining, and challenging as well, to fly these 'squadron formations'. What a great idea this was !
    Cheers, MZee ...

The asphalt runway textures seem to be linked to my Orbx Vector configuration.
    I found a file in the FSX\ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_APT\scenery called 'ABP_KCRS.bgl' which I renamed to 'off'.
    The result was no asphalt runways visible at ground level, but asphalt started to gradually re-appear as elevation above airport gradually increased ....
    ..... at higher elevation, both asphalt runways showed up again.

So, (with thanks to Dave for pointing me in this direction), I know the asphalt runway is somehow connected to my Orbx setup, which may need some tweaking to get just right.
    There is an underlying ADE (AFCAD) file somewhere in the Orbx realm that calls for a solid runway and that has to be removed, not tweaked. I would do a search within the Orbx folder using the name KCRS and delete any and all that it finds.

Current System Specs:

@MZee, I have ine idea - did you use FTX Vector Correction Elevation Tool? You must use it after every installation of new airport. Did You?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Members who have read this thread: 1