Parabellum MG14 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parabellum MG14

You were right Allen. The Gotha series was originally for FS98. A.F.Scrubb did the conversion files but the textures are still in .af format.
    I have found MdlPatch at Flightsim so I'll try this out today. Fingers crossed it will still work in Windows 10.

From what I recall from my CFS1 days is that with .#AF/R8 textures you can save them as 256 BMP with the name that the model is looking for and the sim will load it just fine.

Also Martin's Convr8 can convert R8 to BMP and back
    http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/convr8.htm
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    From what I recall from my CFS1 days is that with .#AF/R8 textures you can save them as 256 BMP with the name that the model is looking for and the sim will load it just fine.

Also Martin's Convr8 can convert R8 to BMP and back
    http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/convr8.htm
    Thanks for the tips. Mdlpatch worked just fine. No bombs added yet but she is crewed and gunned. Annoyingly there is a ventral gun station manned by an invisible crew member and his ghostly gun.
    She will certainly need some paint and the ordnance hardpoints will need to be completely redone, but this is what I have so far.....

Ravenna, Guys...

If I may jump in here.. I have an old utility by Chuck Dome called TEX512 that will convert the model to use BMP files instead of the old AF format. Glad to send you a copy, or do a model conversion myself if you want some repaint help.... I made a Gotha AI airfile for the old AER2 version, if you need one.

Great to see community interest here, in WWI.... I may have to get back onto some of my old projects again.

"Don't just stand there, get one up!"

AER_DaddyO

Quote Originally Posted by AER_DaddyO View Post
    Ravenna, Guys...

If I may jump in here.. I have an old utility by Chuck Dome called TEX512 that will convert the model to use BMP files instead of the old AF format. Glad to send you a copy, or do a model conversion myself if you want some repaint help.... I made a Gotha AI airfile for the old AER2 version, if you need one.

Great to see community interest here, in WWI.... I may have to get back onto some of my old projects again.

"Don't just stand there, get one up!"

AER_DaddyO
    Hi AER_DaddyO, So far Martin Wright's Convr8 is working out for the textures, but TEX512 sounds like a more direct route. Will it work in Windows 10? I'd be very interested in a model conversion.....all help very welcome. Actually the need for an AI airfile has been on my mind, so your airfile would be a big help. Do you want to post the link/ files here?

Ravenna,

Got your SOH notice... Check your email. It all works on my Win7/64 bit, but not sure about your Win10. Anyway, good luck and hope it works out as a good option for you.

Regards,
    AER_DaddyO

After using TEX512, and with a lot of help from UncleTgt (thanks John!) The original textures come out sharper than the original AF ones.Strangely the aircraft exploded when started in Free Flight, but using a different air file rectified this. I had thought that the mg14 Parabellum looked a bit big on this Gotha, but I have found a couple of photographs of German rear gunners next to their Parabellums and it appears that Allen has the sizing spot on. Today I'll get back to the DP. Where would I be without the Caleb Flerk site?!

DP finished, although the original Gotha IV had a rear fuselage floor opening to enable the rear gunner to fire at attacking aircraft in what would have otherwise been a blind spot. Now I know why the original DP had a third gunstation.
    Allen's Parabellums look great, The location of the forward bomb racks is a compromise owing to the curve of the nose floor and the horizontal plane of the bombs and their mounts.
    Apologies for the crappy paint job.....just redid the textures to see what went where. For an old model she could be made to look reasonable. My biggest gripe is that two areas (the tail planes and the sides of the nose) seem to be coloured in the model. I sent two emails asking for permission to post work on this G.IV and the Austrian version which appears to have a paintable tail. Both emails have been returned undeliverable.
    Thanks to Allen for the MGs and to UncleTgt for resizing the textures and giving them their correct names.
    Last edited by Ravenna; September 3rd, 2018 at 02:41.

Gotha Grossflugzeug (FS98) model series AFX files

Hello folks,
    Unfortunately the e-mail address I was using years ago for my model uploads no longer works.

I knew AF99 models worked with FS2002, but as I donīt have CFS2 I never found out that
    they could be made compatible for CFS2. I just looked - the first ones I built were 16 years
    ago! Time flies... it was the beginning my modelling activity.

What you are doing, sounds interesting indeed!

One good thing about CFS2 is its built-in "Z" Buffer, so using AF99 to build for it is much easier
    than for FS98 or CFS1, where a lot of work goes into figuring out and implementing correct glue
    sequences, so that parts display correctly with hopefully few bleedthroughs.

Do let me know if I can make your work any easier, and/or should any of you be interested
    to have the AFX for AF99 of any of the Gotha Bomber Series I made for FS98, I will gladly
    supply them. I could also make necessary modifications to improve them.

By the way:
    I was trying to find MdlPatch, to try it out and see what it can do, but havenīt found it.
    Does anyone know where I could get it?

Incidentally, Iīm currently upgrading a FS98 Caudron G.4 bomber model for CFS1, which
    I made some
    years ago, although itīs only an AF99 model. I know thereīs areally good
    FS2002 Caudron G.4 (GMax or FSDS?) around, which is no doubt much better for CFS2.

Anyway, I have a thread on the building process in the CFS1 forum here at SOH, should
    it be of any
    interest.

Update:

Hello Ravenna,
    Iīve just found and inspected the AFX of the Gotha G.II you mentioned in your post, that
    has untextured tailplane and fin surfaces, as well as a part of the cockpit section.
    Iīll try
    to fix this and then attach the model to a post here.
    This may be of some help. How about that?

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; September 15th, 2018 at 08:51.
    "Why make it simple if you can also make it complicated?"

MdlPatch
    https://simviation.com/1/search?subm...ch&categoryId=

Also MdlPatch sounds a lot like convertMDL...
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Plus you may be able to import your AFX file into AD2000 or AD2002 and then Export.
    Smilo in the CFS1 forum knows more about AD2000 than I....

Find them here:
    http://thefreeflightsite.com/Design.htm
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Hello NoDice,

Thank you very much - I got Mdlpatch and will check it out.
    Regarding AD2000 and AD2002, I know they are very good building tools,
    and I have tried them out a couple of times, but Iīm not using them for the moment.
    Thanks anyway, for the tip.

Hello Ravenna,
    If you can manage without possibly improved Gotha G.II model files
    (with correctly textured fin, tailplane, elevator and some cockpit elements),
    no problem, but if you need them, just say so!

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Gotha

Hi Aleatorylamp,
    Good to see you are on the job. Actually the tailplane surfaces I am having trouble with are on your Gotha G-4, but I would be happy to have you fix the model of the G-2. If you PM me your email address I will send you MdlPatch. I'm currently trying to redo the Gotha -4 wing textures to give them a ribbing effect. So far it looks like venetian blinds.
    Also in the queue are your Hiero Gotha-4 and DH.10 models. I'm afraid I got a bit sidetracked doing "housework" in my WW1 install.
    Thanks for your help.

Hi Aleatorylamp,
    OOPS! Crossed posts.....glad to hear that you have MdlPatch. I will get back to the Gotha 4 tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Ravenna

Hello Ravenna,
    OK then, Iīll proceed with the G.2 for a start.
    At the moment Iīm sorting out the PCX source files from the .xAF model textures. I knew only little when I built the model, and only saved the AFX for the G.II, no .PCX - but itīs no problem. The resulting .afa file still contains the .PCX source file names, so itīs going OK.
    Iīll let you know how it goes.

Regarding the taiplane issue on the Gotha G.IV: I actually have 3 different old Gotha G.IV builds (these do have their .PCX textures!),
    and
    Iīve just looked at the light-grey one wth the red aft-fuselage sides in the screenshot you posted a few posts back. In effect, thereīs no tailplane/elevator texture on it either.
    OK, Iīll see to that too!

Itīs interesting to re-visit these old models! ... and Iīm indeed glad to be able to help.
    Iīll see if I can do this tomorrow - the G.4 first because it will be quicker - and then the G.II.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Thank you Aleatorylamp!

Hello Ravenna,
    It turns out that I ended up working on the G.II first, because I was in the middle of sorting out the missing texture source files, and then it started getting more involved, so I stuck to it.

However, do tell me if you need the G.IV done first. It is also on the conveyor belt in the workshop, and I can switch over easily.
    Both models need similar attention, and I really donīt mind which one to do first.

As the 2 models will be used for CFS2, all the bleedthrough problems that this model has in CFS1, will disappear in CFS2, as it does in FS2002, because of the "Z" Buffer in the newer simulators. This will make work MUCH easier.

Regarding the necessary Gotha G.II improvements, apart from the textures that are lacking on some parts, there are a few other things Iīd like to ask. Some of these also apply to the G.IV.

The construction of both models is rather simple, because when I built the models I didnīt know that one could go upto 150% parts, so I kept these down to 99% or so because of AF99 warnings. Consequently, several things are rather simplified.
    Textures are really simple, because I didnīt know any better, and where there werenīt any symbols, I didnīt texture!

Anyway:

1) I have some beige wing texturing with shaded ribbing, but Iīm not sure whether to use it because on some photos, only fine lines are visible, and I donīt know your preference. I would have to measure the ribbing, of course, so that it coincides. Hereīs a screenshot of a possibility.

2) The tail surfaces I believe were plywood, and would not be ribbed. I usually apply a spray can on the surface, in this case with different shades of beige. I still have to make the rudder texture cover the fin - the screnshot hasnīt got that yet.

3) Ailerons on the original plane, I believe were only flat boards, so they would be textured differntly - possibly using the tailplane texture. On the model, as yet, they are untextured 2D planar parts. If textured, it appears that the right one fills the triangle across the "L" shape. This is easily solved by either making the ailerons with 2 planar pieces each, or better, by making 3D structures for them, which I will do, because there are lots of resources left over.

4) The 4-bladed propeller needs improving so that the blades are at an angle. As you know, the G.II propellers turned in opposite directions.
    The 220 Hp Mercedes (rated at 230 Hp) were normally aspirated non high-compression engines, and had normal loss in performance with altitude. Nevertheless, they seem to have crossed the Alps without problem...

5) The G.IV had 2-bladed propellers turning in the same direction.
    Incidentally, you know that the Mercedes DIVa engines were throttle-gated, rated at 267 Hp at 1300 metres, which means that at that until that altitude was reached, throttles couldnīt be fully opened. At Seal Level, only 70% throttle could be used, otherwise engines exploded. So, there were some "gates" on the throttle lever to limit power depending on altitude. This can be emmulated in CFS by regulating the supercharger parameters for altitude performance, and altering the Engine Torque Graph with a "hole" to limiting power at lower RPM.

6) Iīll add some 3D Spinners, or rather, propeller hubs.

7) There is no crew: The problem is that there are insufficient parts to make 3 crew members with heads, bodies and limbs. That was why the CFS1 version of the Austro-Gotha with Hieronymus engines was not hollowed out anymore. Windows were textured and the cockpits and corridoor were only on the textures. That is another question...

Anyway, please tell me which one of the Gothaīs you would like done first, and also, if you have any suggestions to these points, or any other points you may have!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Library Staff
    Hi Aleatorylamp,

Welcome to CFS2! I have all your WW1 aircraft, both CFS1 and FS2002, pressed into service in my WW1 CFS2 install. It will be great to see all your good work updated and given a new lease of life in this sim.

Thanks for doing this!

Kevin

Aleatorylamp,

In CFS2 the pilot and or crew can be added later in the DP file.
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Hello Kevin,
    Thanks for your motivating good words on the successful adaptation of my WW1 aircraft. One must bear in mind though, that
    upgrades will only be with AF99, as I haven't been very successful with more modern building programmes upto now.

Hello NoDice,
    Interesting about adding the crew with the Dp file in CFS2. No need to sacrifice the hollow corridor and cockpits then!
    ...and detailed Parabellum guns can be added too, I take it - which is what this thread is really about.

Maybe the Gotha update project would require a new thread called "Modernizing the Gothaīs" or "New Grossflugzeuge", or something...
    Also, Iīll install FS2002 tonight, to be able to try out the new CFS2 updates properly, which should work fine.

Update: I have just opened a new CFS2 thread called: "Re-working the Gotha Grossflugzeuge", as it will be more practical that way and not hijack this thread, which is really on the Parabellum MG14. I wouldnīt want to be off-topic with so much material as the Gotha upgrades will involve.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; September 16th, 2018 at 13:27.

Aleatorylamp,
    Down the track perhaps a reworking of the Blackburn Kangaroo, with an open rear gunner's position. Like Kevin I have found your FS2002 and CFS1 models useful. It looks as though we will have more than one German bomber using Allen's Parabellums.
    A bit off topic, but I have just discovered that the bomb racks for the Gotha IV were configured in two different ways, depending on the factory producing them. Do we want an alternative DP? I've just about run out of hardpoints in the current DP!
    Cheers,
    Ravenna

Hello Ravenna,
    Iīm glad the old models have been useful, despite the simple textures and some missed ones... The FS2002 model files are the same as the FS98 ones, and I never changed the textures. I wasnīt aware of the shortcomings, but better late than never!

Since I bought AF99 in 2002, it was giving me terrible texture-spread troubles until 2014, when I found out that it was a puntuation issue!
    It uses decimal points, with comma separators, and my Spanish operating system uses decimal commas, so AF99 always got awfuly confused with too many commas for the texture lines in the .afa file, and used whole numbers!

All I could do was use multiple presses on the +10% button! Itīs quite surprising that it worked at all, but it was always difficult until I discovered what was wrong 12 years later! Now thatīs cured, thankfully.

Re. Open gunner wells for the Kangaroo:
    That will be much easier in CFS2 than CFS1 because of the built-in "Z"-Buffer, so we could definitely try that when its turn comes, and perhaps not only for the rear gunner, but also for the fore gunner, if you need.

Re. Gotha Bomb racks:
    - Do they go under the nose or under the wing? Either or both can be put on. Could you post a picture of what you have in mind?
    - Would you need them on the G.II or the G.IV, or both?

Incidentally, should you be happier using this thread for the Gotha upgrades, please say so and we can ask the Devildog73 or simonu to change over the posts on the thread I opened yesterday to this one, and close the other thread. I really do not have a preference. I only opened the other thread because I was a bit afraid I was hijacking this one, and didnīt want to be a pain, so we can do it as you wish, no problem!

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; September 16th, 2018 at 23:59.

Members who have read this thread: 0