Morotai scenery: computers don't make sense

Thread: Morotai scenery: computers don't make sense

SOH-CM-2018

Morotai scenery: computers don't make sense

Hi all!

I desperately need help from scenery gurus.

I am working on my Morotai scenery trying to finish it up.

But unfortunately I had to wipe my hard drive, reinstall Win 10 and reinstall FSX Accel.

I reactivated my Morotai scenery (that has worked flawlessly on other installs) that is compiled on another computer and all WAS well until:

1. I reinstalled ORBX HD Trees. This made the default FSX scenery background show. Finally got that to go away.

2.Then I reinstalled ORBX Global Base, restarted FSX and now my Morotai scenery has big square spaces devoid of trees. This never occurred in other installs.

3. I recompiled (Didn't change anything in ADE), just recompiled, copied the new files and went to fly and now more trees are missing! And no matter what I do I can't get them back.

No matter what i have done, I cannot get the scenery to show as it has shown before.

It is driving me to distraction that something that was working well (the scenery) is now out of whack under the same conditions it was under before! All I have done was put back what was there before.

I am open to all suggestions.

My ONLY thought is to start over but that is a huge undertaking.

Thanks in advance, Joe

This may be a silly question, but is the scenery on the same level as before in the scenery manager?

SOH-CM-2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    This may be a silly question, but is the scenery on the same level as before in the scenery manager?
    No Dimus, I don't consider it a silly question. The answer is yes at the top as it is the only thing added. Sorry if this looks funny but for some reason the return won't work in this window, although it works in other apps. I have since Run antivirus------no problem detected. Uninstalled FSX, uninstalled my weather etc. Wiped the drive clean and partitioned it into two volumes of about a TB each. Am now re-installing FSX Gold into one volume. I will leave it very vanilla and check again. Everything worked fine on the new box for about a month. Then due to a weird problem with WIN 10 (one I have never encountered in my almost thirty years of computing) had to reinstall the OS and everything else. That's when the scenery went south. (BIG SHRUG!) So I continue to work on the problem. Thanks, Joe

Presume you're using FSX Central v3 for the ORBX installs? Apologies if I sound a bit pedantic. I would have recommended to install ORBX Global Base first, then HD Trees, then ORBX Libs, then Morotai. It shouldn't matter if the FSX Scenery Library is loading in the proper order, but sometimes these things can be a bit arcane.
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

SOH-CM-2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Taylor View Post
    Presume you're using FSX Central v3 for the ORBX installs? Apologies if I sound a bit pedantic. I would have recommended to install ORBX Global Base first, then HD Trees, then ORBX Libs, then Morotai. It shouldn't matter if the FSX Scenery Library is loading in the proper order, but sometimes these things can be a bit arcane.

Hi Craig,

Thanks for answering. I always use FTX Central to install. I am not quite sure I understand the reasoning for the order you suggest but the reason that I installed in that order is because that is the order in which they were purchased and installed on the old box. I hope that you will be able to see the differences in how the scenery was affected.

The image below shows HD TREES only

The Image below shows after Global base was installed. Noticed trees disappeared.

The Image below is HD TREES only

This image is after GLOBAL BASE added. Note the trees in between the two tower locations have disappeared.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JMF-2018-aug-21-010.jpg   JMF-2018-aug-21-005.jpg   JMF-2018-aug-21-003.jpg   JMF-2018-aug-21-004.jpg  

Another question: Are your objects in ADE set to not exclude autogen?

SOH-CM-2018
    More shots.

this shows HD TREES only. Notice no breaks in the coverage of trees.

After GLOBAL BASE, notice the big blocks of trees missing. I think that this is because of the way the Global base affects the LC maybe? But what I don't understand is why as it didn't before.

Also I was not able to add the Morotai scenery in the scenery library while it was outside of FSX in its own folder. It wasn't able to be added to the library until I dropped it in the addon scenery folder WITHIN FSX and added it in the usual way. There was no difference in my method of adding it except for where it was located.

This is all very baffling to me. And driving me nuts.

All drives have been checked for viruses, none found.

I am at a loss, as I have been with MSFS since '98 and am no novice.

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JMF-2018-aug-21-002.jpg   JMF-2018-aug-21-008.jpg  

SOH-CM-2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Another question: Are your objects in ADE set to not exclude autogen?

Hi Dimus,

Some are set to suppress autogen and some aren't. That has never changed. The only thing that has changed is the way the scenery displays now as compared to before.

Check my post on My Vacation: Morotai. These were taken when the scenery displayed as it always did, Before Friday or so.

Joe

SOH-CM-2018

I hate my brain sometimes. I had to run out to get some things for a commitment at my church.

But my brain runs things in the background. it prevents me from falling sleeping at times.

Well Craig's post kept running in the background and it occurred to me that the ORBX libraries weren't installed.

I quickly installed, quickly checked, and it appears things are back to "normal".

All my hullabaloo for no real reason. BAD BRAIN!

This just goes to show that many heads are better than one.

Thanks Craig and Dimus for your help.

It is much appreciated.

Joe

It's great when thing are sorted, isn't it?

I find thats how some of my problems are solve'd, you just have to walk away a bit and occupie your mind with something else and hay-presto, things seem to fall in to place Glad its sorted now, scenery looks really good, cant wait to try it

Joe - sorry to not get back to you sooner, and glad you were able to sort it out. I suggested that order because I recently switched from FSX Boxed to FSX-SE after purchasing a new PC, and that's what was recommended on the ORBX forums for a fresh install. I've had times when an ORBX Libs update was needed for some of my installs to work properly, and had noticed that you didn't include it in your original install order. Thought I would suggest it just in case.
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

SOH-CM-2018
    Thanks to all that responded and/or offered their advice. Yeah I am glad I got it sorted out. Now back to Morotai with no distractions. Thanks again. Cheers, Joe

Members who have read this thread: 0