SAAB J35 Draken WIP (New Skin)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAAB J35 Draken WIP (New Skin)

Cool SAAB J35 Draken WIP (New Skin)

Making an new aluminum skin for the Bookmark Simulations SAAB J35 Draken. Not much to work with on this model but i really enjoy the model so i wanted to make an aluminum skin for it. Bump maps would of been nice too but....

I have only been working on the upper wings and the fin right now. Got a long way to go.

I really enjoy this plane and Bookmark did a fantastic job on this one being it's freeware. Anyway.... here's what i have so far.

I'll be making more paints too along the way after this one is finished.

Cheers!

You can see the difference here with an added paint and the default paintkit. Pretty much an simple paint kit but with a little work and patience.......

Quote Originally Posted by 10gallon View Post
    Making an new aluminum skin for the Bookmark Simulations SAAB J35 Draken. Not much to work with on this model but i really enjoy the model so i wanted to make an aluminum skin for it. Bump maps would of been nice too but....

I have only been working on the upper wings and the fin right now. Got a long way to go.

I really enjoy this plane and Bookmark did a fantastic job on this one being it's freeware. Anyway.... here's what i have so far.

I'll be making more paints too along the way after this one is finished.

Cheers!

Nice to see this one I just had a look at the site of Bookmark Simulations and see it is on its' way to P3D I did my military service in a Draken squadron, but the closest I got was to sit in the cockpit trying not to touch anything in the tiny little space.

Thanks KL791
    Yeah this plane is really nice for freeware. Most all the systems in it work too. The manual is excellent and i love the different auto pilot featured... just like the real one, and you actually have to manage your flight or you can run into problems and flame outs. Very impressive.

Here's a quick vid playing around from tower view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRACwysd6U

Hi 10Gallon,

that is already looking very nice , thank you! Looking forward to your repaint(s) as they seem to be very fitting to this
    excellent freeware aircraft, which I recently re-discovered.

Slightly off-topic, but do you (or any other draken pilot, for that matter) know how to get any vertical speed indication in this aircraft?
    I looked through the manual, but can't seem to find any mention, neither did I find any in the virtual cockpit itself.
    Maybe its "hidden" in some of the other gauges, since I can't imagine that Sweden built an all-weather, IFR capable fighter/interceptor without
    such a basic instrument.

While the manual advises to fly a 3 degree descent profile in a curved approach from downwind to final,
    I'm not sure how this is going to be accomplished without a descent rate info.

I also contacted bookmark sim itself regarding this question, but have not received reply yet.

Kind regards,

Oliver

Try one half the groundspeed. 140kts equals 700fpm rate of descent. I would keep it between 600 to 800 fpm till you cross the threshold.
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

Thanks Flapsfull. A bit more progress today.

I can either upload it without insignias so the simmer can add their own directly onto the dds files or add the original insignias and/or make a few more adding different insignias for different countries. What you think?

Hi again,

@Johndetrick:

John I think you misunderstood my issue a bit .Its not about how to calculate a 3degree descent in general. I know how to do that.
    The point is, so far I cannot find any vertical speed indicator instrument in this airplane, so knowing the target descent rate is pointless,
    as it is difficult to guess your actual rate of descent without indications ( unless you want to use a timer and check against altimeter, which
    which increases workload immensely and is simply not practical in a fast moving jet.

@10gallon,

well this keeps getting better Well, me personally would prefer textures with insignias already included, but that is just my opinion.
    Do what you feel is the optimal solution. Will you upload the repaints here at SOH once they're finished?
    Once again, thank you for improving on this very nice freeware plane.

Kind regards,

Oliver

Looks very nice

Could we eventually get that wonderful repaint somewhere?

Thanks

Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Flapsfull View Post
    Hi again,

@Johndetrick:

John I think you misunderstood my issue a bit .Its not about how to calculate a 3degree descent in general. I know how to do that.
    The point is, so far I cannot find any vertical speed indicator instrument in this airplane, so knowing the target descent rate is pointless,
    as it is difficult to guess your actual rate of descent without indications ( unless you want to use a timer and check against altimeter, which
    which increases workload immensely and is simply not practical in a fast moving jet.

Oliver
    OK I see what you mean. It appears that there is not a VSI or VVI in the cockpit. Reading the flight manual it seems that they used AOA and power settings to establish a correct rate of descent. Sort of how the Navy flies approaches to the boat. AOA and power control. The TF-35 used by the NTPS had a VVI installed.
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

Thanks for all your comments... I have a bit more to do with the paint and it will be available for DL real soon. I'll let you know when and where.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapsfull View Post
    Hi 10Gallon,

Slightly off-topic, but do you (or any other draken pilot, for that matter) know how to get any vertical speed indication in this aircraft?
    I looked through the manual, but can't seem to find any mention, neither did I find any in the virtual cockpit itself.
    Maybe its "hidden" in some of the other gauges, since I can't imagine that Sweden built an all-weather, IFR capable fighter/interceptor without
    such a basic instrument.

While the manual advises to fly a 3 degree descent profile in a curved approach from downwind to final,
    I'm not sure how this is going to be accomplished without a descent rate info.

Oliver
    I created an instrument that does that .
    1. It detects your Nearest airport or you can enter any airport worldwide into it .
    2. It gives you Distance and Bearing and a Steering arrow to your selected airport , regardless of how far the airport is from your aircraft's current location , there are no distance limitations .
    3. You then view all the Runways that are available at that airport and select the one that you wish to use .
    4. You then select which end of your chosen runway you want to land on .
    5. you are then presented with with all data relevant to your approach runway , this includes ;
    * A full high precision ILS Deviation bars ( Glideslope and Lateral (LOC) bars ) .
    * The ILS Deviation bars provide the usual guidance to the ILS aimpoint (touchdown point ) on the runway .
    * The instrument automatically computes a " Synthetic ILS " aimpoint at 6% in from the end of your chosen runway length .
    * The default Glideslope angle is the usual 3.00 degrees , but you can enter and use any angle that you desire .
    * Regardless of your distance or height , the instrument gives you a readout of your current instantaneous ,
    --- actual current Glideslope angle relative to the Touchdown spot on runway , and
    --- current Height in feet above your runway .
    --- current offset distance ( Circuit width ) from the Runway Heading axis .
    ...... so if you are flying the Downwind circuit leg ( ie; reciprocal of Runway Hdg ) , you observe the current actual Glideslope angle
    readout , and either wait till it reads 3.00 degrees , or you climb or descend to get 3.00 degrees .
    Once you get 3.00 degrees you turn to the runway and maintain the 3.00 degrees by adjusting your Pitch angle .
    Your approach can be made using Readout data or the usual ILS deviation bars .
    * ILS Deviation bar tolerances are the usual real life values .
    --- Vertical = Glideslope = +/- 0.7 degrees relative to whatever glideslope angle you happen to chose to use.
    --- Horizontal = equivalent to LOC = +/- 2.5 degrees relative to your Runway Hdg .
    -- NOTE :- it is a " Synthetic ILS " therefore you do not have to set ILS frequencies to your radio.
    * This Synthetic ILS provides full precision ILS approach guidance to every one of the 24,491 Airports that exist in the
    Flight Simulator database , and for all runways at any airport , and at either end of any runway .

Special Note : as the Synthetic ILS utilises the " Runway Heading axis " , I included a " INTERCEPT " facility ,
    you can enter a Distance in Nautical Miles ( eg; 7.1 nm ) , it then generates a location that Distance prior to the ILS aimpoint
    on your Approach ( Runway Heading axis line ) , it then gives you the ( Direction , Bearing , Steering arrow ) to the Intercept position ,
    it also gives you the Height above the runway to intercept the glideslope at that point .
    The intercept feature informs you that you you need to descend from your cruise altitude down to that given height to accurately
    capture the glideslope .
    As you can see if you use this in conjunction with a Radio NAVAID ILS it will give guidance to ILS capture prior to engaging Approach Hold.

Cheers
    Karol

This is the instrument

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a_Intercept.jpg  

OK well tried to upload to SOH but it keeps telling me that the file size is too large. It states an error and says the file size must be no larger then 510 mb but my rar file is only 3mb.

Nevermind it's uploaded... it was my png that was too large. It's onsite now.

The install text [fltsim.xx] is in the aircraft folder once you unzip it. Also, keep all the files in the aircraft folder as they are so it looks right when install it.

Remember.... have fun! and Enjoy.

DOWNLOAD:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum....php?catid=187

Quote Originally Posted by COBS View Post
    This is the instrument
    That looks very interesting. Is it available to download?

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    That looks very interesting. Is it available to download?
    I stopped uploading instruments due to lack of interest , it's not worth the effort involved , years ago people did install them , but today
    the interest appears to be only on eye candy .

Currently it's within an MFD , it's too big and complex a task to extract it , it does work independantly , but in my F-111 panel it's
    integrated into useage with , the Touchscreen Radar , the Mission Adaptive Flight Plan Editor , and the Bomb Navigation System .
    Also the 16 page PDF notes are old and were rushed at time of drafting .

If I did upload it , it would be in as is condition .

Actually it's a neat instrument , for choppers you can set any glideslope angle , or even do an absolute vertical hover letdown
    to the aimpoint with an accuracy of +/- 6 inches if you have a good skill level , also you don't even need to see the landing spot .
    If you fit it to floatplanes you can generate synthetic runways on , rivers , lakes , or at sea .
    It has a separate page that enables you to capture or tag a location and generate those synthetic runways , so if you are doing
    crop dusting or firefighting you create the synthetic runway on , a paddock , road , a beach , or lake and store that to the
    Memory buttons , then you capture crop field , or fire front and store that to another Memory button , so you can shuttle between
    two locations simply by recalling whichever from it's Memory button , then do an precision ILS approach to your paddock or lake , etc.
    With Choppers or Harrier jump jets you can capture a Hardened rooftop in a high rise office tower , it captures not only the location
    of the rooftop but also it's elevation and you can do a ILS approach to it .
    In my Bomb Nav System you can capture a hardened bridge and it directional axis , then do a precision auto bomb release of a ripple series of bombs along that bridge , fun stuff .

If you are still interested I could probably do an upload at Simviation and Flightsim .

Cheers
    Karol

Although screenshots are degraded here at SOH , attached is a schematic of the previously mentioned " Intercept " affair .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b_Intercept.jpg  

Some airport - runway detail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SCN_DATA.jpg  

A few more instrument shots

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Page3 AILA.jpg   Page1 AILA.jpg   Page2 AILA.jpg   fsx 2015-07-31 10-15-37-40.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0