KD_RJ_Gius_Rome released by Robert John, Gius, and Kdriver!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KD_RJ_Gius_Rome released by Robert John, Gius, and Kdriver!

Library Staff

Icon22 KD_RJ_Gius_Rome released by Robert John, Gius, and Kdriver!

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Scenery Add-Ons

Description: This is a GSL rendition of the City of Rome, Italy circa 1943. The scenery includes all the major landmarks, rail yards and the airfields of Centocelle, Ciampino and Littorio.

This project would not have been possible without the enormous contributions by Robert John and Gius.

Robert converted all the Rome landmarks and buildings from FSX/FS2004/FS2002 into CFS2 destructible GSL objects. These objects include the Colosseum, Forum, Vatican, Victor Emmanuel Monument, Pantheon, Spanish Steps and Tiber Island. Robert also created the CFS2 Mega GSL Railway Package with Rome in mind. That package includes the Roma Termini Station and the workshops, sheds and turntables of the San Lorenzo rail yard.

Gius built a number of typical blocks of buildings for Rome. He also created some more Forum buildings and a number of ruins and columns. Many of Gius' Madrid objects were put to use in this project.

Rami built the Littorio rail yard which was later modified to take Robert's rail tracks and sidings.

Objects made by Wolfi, Pen32Win, Xavierb, Brunosk, Davmag, Canion and Cees Donker were used extensively in this project.

The airfields, rail yards and Tiburtina Railway Station were made using prewar and wartime aerial photos and maps. Google Earth was indispensable for placing the GSL landmarks and buildings around Rome.

by Kevin Driver, Robert Sprackland & Giuseppe Sisinni

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit KD_RJ_Gius_Rome.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Nice work!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Great job guys...What a team effort
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Icon22 Reply...

Kevin,

It was my pleasure to help, you guys were wonderful to work with. I also wrote much of the readme.

P.S. - I am assembling a package to send to Achim27619 for the ETO. Have we uploaded the villages by Gius yet?
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Seven Hills

Looking great. This is about as close to the actual positioning of buildings as is possible in CFS2 and the scale looks just right. Well done guys!
    Kevin, you were obviously burning the midnight oil for a few nights. Love the entrances to Piazza Navona.

Quite the project boys, thanks.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Just beautiful work guys, thank you for your efforts. Looks amazing!

msfossey

Library Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Kevin,

It was my pleasure to help, you guys were wonderful to work with. I also wrote much of the readme.

P.S. - I am assembling a package to send to Achim27619 for the ETO. Have we uploaded the villages by Gius yet?
    Andrew,

I did thank you in the readme file for doing just that. I've amended the download description to keep you happy.

You can't do a Pontius Pilate with Rome yet - your job is to fill the rail yards with rolling stock and do a Nero.

I still haven't had a reply from Gius. I'll drop him a line.

Kevin

Icon22 Reply...

Kevin,

Geez....just joshing you a bit, no biggie. I know I have to pave the streets, but right now I'm getting Sumatra up to date for DD73.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Rami,
    Dude...everyone knows not to mess with Kdriver !!
    He may just drag you to his world in the down under..
    Then you will have to learn an entire new language bloak..
    ( not sure how to spell that in Aussie )

Kevin, be easy on Rami and wait till his legs are fixed, that
    way, you can teach him how to chase the Emu's off your property..

Library Staff
    Thanks for the compliments chaps.

I know Andrew is only joking - he's not a bad bloke (note spelling Dave).

Actually chasing emus off the property is not that far from the truth. I live only 3 miles north of the centre of Sydney, yet the area has been invaded by brush turkeys in recent years. They are fairly large birds and roam around the yard as if they own the place. They have a habit of wrecking gardens by building a large mound for a nest.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    ...yet the area has been invaded by brush turkeys in recent years. They are fairly large birds and roam around the yard as if they own the place. They have a habit of wrecking gardens by building a large mound for a nest.

Kevin

Yum...manna from heaven..."honey, dinner's in the yard...get my rifle"

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Actually chasing emus off the property is not that far from the truth. I live only 3 miles north of the centre of Sydney, yet the area has been invaded by brush turkeys in recent years. They are fairly large birds and roam around the yard as if they own the place. They have a habit of wrecking gardens by building a large mound for a nest.

Kevin
    Well, that's what happens when you live so close to Sydney Harbour national park. Their living room is probably harbourside Sydney's collective backyard.

Kevin
    Hi all
    Nice work.
    Now I understand your interest.
    The Seven Hill's is the 'centre' of Sydney. (or near enough)
    Cheers
    Stuart
    PS Go Manly!!!

Kevin
    Kevin,
    Great work by all!
    I can see Tuskegee Airmen campaign is outdated and due for revision once BPF is completed and uploaded.....

I agree with Bearcat, only if your turkeys are as dumb as US wild turkeys, you just walk up to them with a club, baseball bat, or other useful object and clunk them in the head. Do you guys have an Aussie equivalent of Thanksgiving?
    Lee
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Library Staff
    Thanks Lee,

They say when you cook a bush turkey in a pot, throw away the bush turkey and eat the pot.

Like Britain, Canada and New Zealand, roast turkey (not the Australian variety) is part of our traditional Christmas dinner.

Kevin

Thanks Lee,

They say when you cook a bush turkey in a pot, throw away the bush turkey and eat the pot.

Like Britain, Canada and New Zealand, roast turkey (not the Australian variety) is part of our traditional Christmas dinner.

Kevin
    ROFLOL! Love the visual.... I'm going to have to research Australian bush turkey. Surely a bit of hot sauce, really, really, spicy hot sauce would make it tasty?

Glad you all down under enjoy roasting the US type turkeys over the Christmas holidays.

Lee
    Devildog73

Semper Fi

Gladiator

Beautiful job guys. I finally got it all installed, but it came at a great price. In my custom CFS2 MAW install, it kicked my already-high dp count to more than 2000, locked me out of any FF and QC action (even with only ONE model in the aircraft folder and NO SHIPS!), forcing an immediate uninstall/cleanup job to get the dp count back down to a playable level again. I was even careful to use the "limited" install option suggested for the railways. Between my current collection of weapons of multiple nationalities and scenery objects, the count of my objects_dp folder is always teetering on that knife edge of "system failure".

Due to its captivating beauty and attention to detail, this is the most painful scenery install-uninstall i've done in years . Not to mention that it is sorely needed in the barren CFS2 Italia region. I'm gonna have to do some major surgery to strip down my MAW install to accommodate this one permanently , but i'll say again, well done all.

Bearcat,

I found the directions of removing ALL CFS1 objects to be quite a gift when it comes to such matters.
    Once finished with BPF I am going to do a massive reinstall of all my theaters using the clean, no-CFS1 anything, CFS2 in all theaters and reinstall the various campaigns into these exclusively CFS2 versions.

DD
    Devildog73

Semper Fi

I ended up at about 2100 dp's. CFS1 dp's in CFS2 total approximately 150 or so, max.

Even with your suggestion i'm still way over my MAW install's dp threshold, which seems to fluctuate somewhere between 1650 and 1700.

I've just got a lot of stuff in this theater that i want to keep. I'd hate to create another install from clean just for this. That's a big task for another day when i can focus on it.

bearcat,
    I am going way out on a limb here...being that I know that you are a guru with this kind of stuff.
    That is why I am asking you if you think it may be possible to have two DP folders and Aliase to
    the second one and avoid the overload problem ??? I have not tried...yet

Quote Originally Posted by No Dice View Post
    bearcat,
    I am going way out on a limb here...being that I know that you are a guru with this kind of stuff.
    That is why I am asking you if you think it may be possible to have two DP folders and Aliase to
    the second one and avoid the overload problem ??? I have not tried...yet

No way Dave...we're getting into re-writing code now. Its designed to feed out of only one folder named as OBJECTS_DP. The sim has no known algorithm for aliasing object and infrastructure dp's in a second folder.

The sim's executable and dll modules won't even recognize a second - it may as well be a storage bin.

That is why we all depend on you bearcat....and why i did not try it without asking your advice first.

You are the go to man........

Library Staff
    Are you familiar with batch files Dave? Using these, you could have a number of whittled down OBJECTS_DP folders, each with a different name, e.g. OBJECTS_DP_MTO, OBJECTS_DP_PTO, etc. The batch file would rename the desired folder to OBJECTS_DP.

Thanks for compliments Bearcat and MiamiEagle - I like the picture of the P-40.

Kevin
    Last edited by kdriver; December 23rd, 2021 at 05:46.

Members who have read this thread: 0