Ju-52
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ju-52

Ju-52

Hi Flyers,

After reading of the recent tragic crash of the JU-52 in Switzerland with 20 people on board, I started looking for a JU-52 I could fly in V4. I did find a very good one by Oliver Fischer on SimViation but its an FS9 model and when I tried to convert it in ModelConvertX I got a series of error messages that started with:

System.Xml.XmlException, An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 525, position 33.

Not sure what that means and I will try to post on the model convert forum at FSDeveloper once they approve my account, but does anyone know of a good V4 compatible JU-52 (or knows how to fix that modelconvertx error)?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018-8-11_13-44-58-739.jpg   2018-8-11_13-45-19-558.jpg  
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

I have tried that also some time ago with the O.Fischer JU52 and his Bücker Jungman and had get the same results.
    A valid contact address does not seem to exist either, so i have let it be.
    I wish you, that you have more luck.
    Aerosoft has a JU52 in the pipeline as far as i know, since July, 2013
    so you have a good chance to get this baby airborne earlier.

2 of the texture names have a "&" in them. That's causing the problem.

Oliver Fischer Ju-52 is the best out there. Although it was made for FS9, it has a modeling quality which is very rare, and it has one of the best virtual cockpits I have ever seen.
    The only way to enjoy it in Prepar3D is... to enjoy it in P3Dv3, where it looks spectacular.
    Somebody on the french FS forum even made a high resolution repaint from the "Where eagles dare" movie.... I don't have the link anymore...
    Would be nice to have it converted at least to FSX native format, but from what I read above, this looks more difficult than usual models...

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Would be nice to have it converted at least to FSX native format, but from what I read above, this looks more difficult than usual models...
    Not particularly.

All shots in P3dv4.3.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    Not particularly.

All shots in P3dv4.3.
    Oh I must have that, you should package up your conversion and share it, or at least let us know how you did it.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Would like to know how, too.
    My first flight was in a Ju-52, Portuguese Air Force, a "few" years ago...

Regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan-121011-0055.jpg  

Much as I would love to share the modded model, I don't have permission to do so at the moment.
    As far as modding instructions go, it's a bit difficult. I did this one quite a while back and can't remember all the details. Every conversion is different and some require new animation code and a fair amount of trial and error!

Thank you Dave for this information and hope to maybe get back this old beauty in P3Dv4. Would be a dandy to fly it before Aerosoft gets its version out.....
    Best regards, Manfred.

Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    Thank you Dave for this information and hope to maybe get back this old beauty in P3Dv4. Would be a dandy to fly it before Aerosoft gets its version out.....

i do not think that Aerosoft get that ready ???

is there a way that DaveWG maybee share his mod?

Thank´s
    Ralf

Since January 17, 2021, there's a new FSX/P3D conversion of Oliver's Junkers 52 in the SOH library here, thanks to Bulbbulb2 and InDeepSchit. It's really nice to fly again with an old favourite of mine...

Unfortunately, in FSX, the propdisks cast solid shadows on the ground, like a regular FS9 portover. Maybe it's the same in P3D, can't tell... Since it's FSX native, I hope removing the shadow is no big deal? I've tried that myself with MatMDL, with no luck so far. I guess it takes MCX and a proper SDK recompilation. This unfortunately I cannot do... Help!

Downloaded the beauty yesterday and she works really fine in P3Dv4.5 - no prop issues here . Good to get her back and a big thanks to all involved who made this possible.
    Best regards, Manfred.

Hi,
    Prop issue ....set "no shadow" to true in "enhanced parameters" with ModelConverterX! I think this solve the problem.

JMC

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    ........ but from what I read above, this looks more difficult than usual models...
    If the model calls for textures with a problematic name it should be a fairly simple HEX edit. Something free like FRHed, open the mdl file using it. Search for the texture names with the '&' and replace the character with something problem free ie. a normal character. Rename the offending textures to suit, et voila. Should convert (don't quote me on this, I have no desire to try it to test, lol).

Jamie.

SOH-CM-2022
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    If the model calls for textures with a problematic name it should be a fairly simple HEX edit. Something free like FRHed, open the mdl file using it. Search for the texture names with the '&' and replace the character with something problem free ie. a normal character. Rename the offending textures to suit, et voila. Should convert (don't quote me on this, I have no desire to try it to test, lol).

Jamie.
    No need to hex edit.
    Just copy or rename the textures so they don't include the '&' then import the model to MCX and convert as normal.
    Before exporting to FSX or P3D format go into material editor and change the file names called for by the texture to reflect your revised naming scheme.

BTW if you like 3 engined 1930s airliners be sure to get v3 of the Savoia Marchetti S.73 by pcmeneg (assuming you don't already have it).
    For P3D v4 search for S73_V30p.zip, for FSX and earlier P3D versions search for S73_V30f.zip.

In my humble opinion it is as nice as the JU-52

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    ...Search for the texture names with the '&' and replace the character with something problem free...
    Thanks for tip Jamie, but the file "ju52_horizontal&engines_t.bmp" was correctly renamed to "ju52_horizontal_engines_t.bmp" prior to this FSX/P3D conversion. So that's not the issue here (I double checked with Hex Edit). Texture conversion from bmp to dds makes no difference either...

Quote Originally Posted by gastonj View Post
    ... set "no shadow" to true in "enhanced parameters" with ModelConverterX! I think this solve the problem...
    Merci Gaston, seems like a very good idea, but I can't use MCX (no SDK installed here, can't recompile...). So I hope somebody can check if this solution indeed does work, and share the mdl file for unlucky FSX users like me!

Hi,
    I did that for the "model" ,not done for "model.1". Try by renaming the model ju_52_X or better modify the model.cfg
    JMC

ju_52.zip

I did that for the "model" ,not done for "model.1"...
    Merci ! But it looks like you recompiled it as a P3D model, not a FSX model... Sorry, I'm still using FSX, and I know I'm an intruder in the P3D forum... Hope you can try again... And maybe we can switch to this Ju-52 thread in the FSX forum?

I found where this "no shadow" parameter is in ModelConverterX 1.4, changed it to TRUE, but with no SDK installed, I can't export... Maybe I'm too lazy and I should install the SDK... I still have the CDs. But I remember it was quite a pain to install...
    Last edited by vonstroheim; January 22nd, 2021 at 14:15.

EDIT: I've made it! Check in the FSX forum or download fix here: Ju52 FSX prop fix.zip

What a nice plane.
    Did some "playing around" with this one.

Ju-52/3 mg6e (Ju-52/3 MS) mine-clearance aircraft

and the JU-53/3 on floats

greetings
    Klaus

And another one : Ju-52/3M g3e "Behelfsbomber"

greetings
    Klaus

Would love to get a hold of the float and minesweeper variants! Any plans to release these models?

Hi,

I am sorry bit I think the CV is quite buggy. Background square gauges textures are black, they should be transparent like original model. Not really serious but a little disappointing!

JMC

SOH-CM-2022
    Hi,

I am sorry bit I think the CV is quite buggy. Background square gauges textures are black, they should be transparent like original model. Not really serious but a little disappointing!

JMC
    Hi,
    The individuals who did the conversion missed a step, in the VC the VC panel textures $.... haven't been set to transparent. in MCX try setting those textures to Default Transparent using the Material Editor.

Gavin

Members who have read this thread: 2