Man steals plane, does loops.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man steals plane, does loops.

Man steals plane, does loops.

This story has a tragic ending, but probably what he intended. At least he only killed himself.

https://abc7news.com/stolen-plane-cr...ource/3928151/
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

was watching some live youtube feed of this last night,at fires i thought it was old news,as it all seemed kinda surreal..it wasnt long before i figured it out,but wow.

News clips I see do not show any loop; he does a nose high aileron roll (needed with a slow roll rate), the nose fall through as he gets wings level, pulls out of a very nose low attiude at low altitude. Seems he has flown something before, maybe some lessons or ride-alongs. in order to start and taxi, he was no rookie. Maybe a qualified runup mech or something??

The old adage still holds - takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory. What a muppet.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Nothing official was said, but there's rumors he may have been suicidal. If he was, he succeeded.

Odd sidenote: Attempted suicide is illegal. Successful suicide isn't. Go figure.

At least he didn't take anyone else with him, thankfully. Expensive methodology, though. Not to him, but hey...

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Will the FBI contact Majestic for sales records of the Q400?
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Icon9

There will no doubt be a media knee jerk reaction to a) airport and aircraft security and b) he mentioned he had flown simulators, so awaiting again the hysterical media outflow just as we had post 9/11.

Anyway RIP kid, sympathy goes out to your wife and family who have to carry on.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Odd sidenote: Attempted suicide is illegal. Successful suicide isn't. Go figure.

Pat☺
    I never understood that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    There will no doubt be a media knee jerk reaction to a) airport and aircraft security and b) he mentioned he had flown simulators, so awaiting again the hysterical media outflow just as we had post 9/11.

Anyway RIP kid, sympathy goes out to your wife and family who have to carry on.
    Seeing as how many regulations, restrictions, and laws are knee-jerk reactions, it would not surprise me to see our hobby regulated.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    I never understood that either.
    You cannot prosecute a dead person (IIRC this is actually written in the law of most western countries). Therefore, making successful suicide illegal is useless.

For the record, he was a 'ramp rat' (baggage handler). He had worked there for only three years.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    For the record, he was a 'ramp rat' (baggage handler). He had worked there for only three years.
    He was a very troubled young man with obvious mental problems. Proof once more that 21st century society doesn't give a rats @ss about the mentally ill.

There's no need to use derogatory terms to describe the people who make sure that our luggage travels with us.

Priller

you can find his audio communication with the tower on youtube (23 minutes or so) where the controller is handling his usual load of traffic AND this guy very professionally..
    the 'pilot' admits to having some idea of how to control the plane because he 'has played games, flown on the computer' before.

the audio is compelling and tragic and surreal..all at once. This person was suffering from mental illness and seemed not to have planned to do this - just thought about it a time or two most likely and then
    unfortunately was presented with an opportunity not at all out of line with his job, clearances, and access.

I was surprised that the controller who was handling him was not apparently isolated from his other duties. But probably due to abysmal under staffing had no option to focus directly on this situation. He maintained his composure throughout.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    He was a very troubled young man with obvious mental problems. Proof once more that 21st century society doesn't give a rats @ss about the mentally ill.

There's no need to use derogatory terms to describe the people who make sure that our luggage travels with us.

Priller
    this is a proper statement - thank you.
    enter..the Sandman

There's no need to be derogatory towards the guy...it's a very sad situation and I really do feel for the poor guy and his family.
    Mark

Blog Entries
    I listened to the ATC recordings of the event. Radio traffic was heavy, as you would expect around Sea-Tac, but the conversation between ATC and the young man seemed sparse. When he mentions barrel rolls ATC seems confident they can talk him down, but after some time he declares he might be losing an engine. ATC told him to keep the plane over water, but from that point to impact there was little contact.

Truly bizarre that someone could successfully start a complex aircraft, taxi and TO at a busy facility in the manner that he seems to have done it.

I'll be interested in learning the actually cause of the crash...mechanical failure(s) or intentional suicide.
    Either way, it is sad and regrettable.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I'll be interested in learning the actually cause of the crash...mechanical failure(s) or intentional suicide.
    ... or a novice so-called pilot trying to do a barrel roll at low altitude with a heavy twin-turboprop airliner?

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Truly bizarre that someone could successfully start a complex aircraft, taxi and TO at a busy facility in the manner that he seems to have done it.
    There are many companies here (and there might be in your country as well) which anybody can give a fairly low amount of money to get a one-hour course in a professional airliner simulator. I did it last year for my father's birthday.

[QUOTE=Roxane-21;1151150]... or a novice so-called pilot trying to do a barrel roll at low altitude with a heavy twin-turboprop airliner?

From the film I have seen, he was apparently able to pull off a nose high aileron roll, which is NOT a barrel roll, though the two are often confused, especially in an airplane with a relatively low roll rate. Aileron rolls in such a plane wind up nose low at the end unless they are started with high enough nose high attitude to prevent it from "scooping out" at the bottom without stalling during the maneuver. A true barrel roll hits specific combinations of heading and nose attitude changes throughout the maneuver.

Leaving aside the speculation re how he flew it and what 'maneuvers' he may or may not have performed along with his mental state..........what happened with Airport Security?
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Blog Entries
    He was pushing the airplane hard. The forensics will establish exactly what led to the crash.

He nearly put it in the water here. He had asked ATC if 5000ft. was a good altitude to initiate a roll. ATC recommended that he not try that.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...0&&FORM=VRDGAR
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    what happened with Airport Security?
    If I understand the situation correctly, this guy was (due to his job) allowed to be on the apron next to the airplanes. Then, it was only a matters of seconds to get on the plane and sit on pilot's seat. So, not much thing Airport Security could do to prevent what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxane-21 View Post
    If I understand the situation correctly, this guy was (due to his job) allowed to be on the apron next to the airplanes. Then, it was only a matters of seconds to get on the plane and sit on pilot's seat. So, not much thing Airport Security could do to prevent what happened.
    I wonder what ground control was doing as he taxied - did he ask for taxi to a runup area for maintenance etc, or did ground control think they had a lost comms issue? Curious --

He was a credentialed ground crew person tasked with moving aircraft via tug, loading and unloading all aspects, not just luggage, and was entitled to be virtually anywhere on the airport grounds in compliance with all current regulations. He towed the airplane from a maintenance area to an inactive runway and got it off the ground. One spokesperson said he had to have the engines synchronized and so known the procedures well enough not just to fire it up, but configure it for take off.
    In FSX or XPlane there are Q400 with systems and checklists that are accurate enough to make this possible for a layman.
    Possible that might be changed in the near future because our society looks for easy fixes rather than face the real issues. The authorities are still unpacking this one - just found part of the cockpit recorder (so they can hear conversations he may have had with himself or via cell phone) and the flight data recorder. He was able to locate and read his fuel state and headings and seemed to think he could’ve landed if he wanted to. With a ground stop and all that traffic piled up on the ground and in the air that would have been ridiculous. He seemed aware of that by his remarks. I’m most interested in what the people around him might reveal - he came unwound but could it have been a complete surprise?
    That would be unusual. Someone had to know his gears were slipping.
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post

Priller
    It may only be a language barrier issue, but "ramp rat" is a very commonly used term, used even amongst themselves, and is in no way "derogatory..."

See: https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...erm=ramp%20rat

Further information reported is that he was also certified for tug operations, meaning that he had been trained to start the APU to provide power and hydraulics during tug repositions of the aircraft.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    I wonder what ground control was doing as he taxied - did he ask for taxi to a runup area for maintenance etc, or did ground control think they had a lost comms issue? Curious --
    Honnestly, after they told him he was not allowed to taxi, what else could they have done? Throw a truck across his path, which would have led to the loss of said truck and maybe its driver as well? Fire a TOW missile to destroy the Q400 (not sure this kind of equipment is common on a civilian airport)?

When the man decided to taxi and taxeoff, there was nothing (NOTHING, N-O-T-H-I-N-G) the ground control could have done to prevent him to do so.

Conspiracy theorist proclaim that Soviet Mig 21's not F15's shot down the plane. Migs have a solid history of shooting down commercial aircraft. President Trump asked Putin if he did it. Putin said "No, we are Russian not Soviet". Trump tells congress, "I believe him". Sad!

Source: RT
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Members who have read this thread: 0