VR Settings Help Request

Thread: VR Settings Help Request

VR Settings Help Request

Gentlemen,

I'm now fully committed to my new Oculus VR gear but my initial experience flying VR in P3Dv4 was less than optimal. I recently upgraded to a new 'super computer' and the VR equipment and while I found the immersive experience truly amazing and my flying (albeit lost many years back..due to medical) was still fairly intact -- and the VR experience proved every bit as 'being there' as promised. However...the video experience was not! The visual were fuzzy/out of focus, etc. I read thru a few recommendations and pushed all the settings to the bottom and let the Oculus control things but it did not improve.

Can someone please provide some guidance as to settings?

I assume that there must be a 'sweet spot' to get things looking rather good or there would be more negative information on the web so I can only assume it is something I'm either doing or not doing.

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help an old fart out with new techonologies.

KevinB

Hey Bookman1960,

Can you let us know your video card, CPU, and amount of RAM? And you're running P3D v4.3, right? With that info, I can try to make some suggestions. The Oculus resolution is pretty low (I have to lean in to read instruments in some planes), but things shouldn't be fuzzy or unfocused.

Also, check the lens width distance slider thing and make sure it's set properly. And try moving the goggles down a bit on your face; weirdly, I find them clearer is they're a little lower than it feels like they should be.

Thank you, Denny.

Here's the basic specs for my PC:

ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING, Intel Z370 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, ATX Motherboard
    i7-8700K 6-Core 3.7 - 4.7GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
    16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V DDR4 2400MHz, CL15, Silver, DIMM Memory
    GeForce GTX 1070 Ti SC GAMING, 1607 - 1683MHz, 8GB GDDR5, Graphics Card

KB

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Hey Bookman1960,

Can you let us know your video card, CPU, and amount of RAM? And you're running P3D v4.3, right? With that info, I can try to make some suggestions. The Oculus resolution is pretty low (I have to lean in to read instruments in some planes), but things shouldn't be fuzzy or unfocused.

Also, check the lens width distance slider thing and make sure it's set properly. And try moving the goggles down a bit on your face; weirdly, I find them clearer is they're a little lower than it feels like they should be.

some tips for using oculus rift (p3dv4.3):
    1) use oculus tray tool to set the profile for p3d (super sampling=2.0, asw mode=off)
    2) lock fps to 30 in p3d
    3) realistic slider settings in p3d (reduced resolution in hmd so can ease back on autogen distance without noticing it, etc.)
    4) in p3d vr setting, select single pass rendering for improved fps

image quality improves a lot by setting super sampling > 1.5. asw=off prevents image from stuttering. you can assign a button on your joystick to zoom in/out to look at instruments in greater detail, if needed.

Members who have read this thread: 0