Another Beginner's Repaint

Thread: Another Beginner's Repaint

Another Beginner's Repaint

For my second ever paint I chose the Carenado Cessna 185. There aren't many UK repaints for this model, and none that I can see using this particular pattern. Carenado famously don't supply paintkits so this is a few of my own layers blended with the plain white textures to represent G-BDKC based in Perth, Scotland. It's definitely work in progress, but good grief this is fun!

Some pictures show her orange, others red, so I went for something in between. It was a real pig lining up the stripes over multiple texture sheets, lots of trial and error and still not quite there. The real one has stripes and a Cessna logo on the starboard wingtip but the way the tips are mapped won't let me do that. Anyway, it's taken ages but I'm really pleased with it so far

Wish there was some kind of easy to understand tutorial to learn repainting, Great job, really good for just starting out painting, I can't get that far with it, not even close.

those are very nice,well done.from what i read that is why carenado does the plain white,so you can add the layers and create paints.

Quote Originally Posted by jymp View Post
    Wish there was some kind of easy to understand tutorial to learn repainting, Great job, really good for just starting out painting, I can't get that far with it, not even close.
    see if this helps you?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    see if this helps you?

There are several simple tutorials on YouTube but this was the video that really got me started! Carenado's plain white textures are very nice, easier in some ways than a 'proper' paintkit with dozens of layers. I find Paint.net a bit more intuitive than Photoshop, and of course it's free (or Donationware, to be fair...)

I posted an introduction to painting on flightsim.com, check that maybe?

Good looking Cessna!
    But careful, those paintfumes can be addictive!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    I posted an introduction to painting on flightsim.com, check that maybe?

Good looking Cessna!
    But careful, those paintfumes can be addictive!
    Would you have a link to that tutorial please jankees..?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWeevil View Post
    For my second ever paint I chose the Carenado Cessna 185. There aren't many UK repaints for this model, and none that I can see using this particular pattern. Carenado famously don't supply paintkits so this is a few of my own layers blended with the plain white textures to represent G-BDKC based in Perth, Scotland. It's definitely work in progress, but good grief this is fun!

Some pictures show her orange, others red, so I went for something in between. It was a real pig lining up the stripes over multiple texture sheets, lots of trial and error and still not quite there. The real one has stripes and a Cessna logo on the starboard wingtip but the way the tips are mapped won't let me do that. Anyway, it's taken ages but I'm really pleased with it so far
    Very nice indeed. Well done. Great to see a "G" rego on the 185.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy74 View Post
    Would you have a link to that tutorial please jankees..?

Cheers
    here you go for part 1:
    https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/conte...ight-Simulator
    links to parts 2 & 3 at the bottom of that page.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    here you go for part 1:
    https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/conte...ight-Simulator
    links to parts 2 & 3 at the bottom of that page.
    Thank you very much jankees.

The Carenado type paint kit is quite easy to use, except when you start to mess with the specular maps or the diffuse alpha layer. But the challenges that arise would do so with other kits as well.

Just follow Bill's video mentioned above, the results are spectacular!

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

IMHO a nice job..Keep up with exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWeevil View Post

Thanks one and all for the nice comments. I will get around to uploading everything when I'm happy, or when my wife tells me to stop fiddling with them, whichever comes first. I'm doing one more G-reg 185 for now and then it's off to try something else - Jankees' terrific tutorial at flightsim.com has given lots of food for thought!

Members who have read this thread: 1