How to get working winter skins?

Thread: How to get working winter skins?

How to get working winter skins?

Ive noticed the CFS3 default airplanes having also special winter paint schemes which loads automatically when winter season selected.

sample for stock Swalbe:
    me_262a_2a_t.dds
    me_262a_2a_t_w.dds

I thought I would put such ones for my airplanes and dine, but it doesnt works. ok, I thought then it is a matter of .mos files, which needs to be made firts. but I didnt found at the Me 262 any such related section.

what I am doing wrong?

If I search all my installs for *t_w.dds, I also found what I assume are non stock aircraft such as Russian_Glad_t_w from ETO_Glad_rus and also ETO_Huri_Mk2rus and ETO_Hs129_P8KU, maybe more. Now that may help you work out how they work or PM Nachtpiloten who did the ETO_Hs129_P8KU.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

I'm not sure what the problem is - I stuck winter skins in with some of my Kittyhawks, and they work properly on my Eastern Front install...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Nothing special was done for the YAK-15 and they seem to work when the winter season is selected.

Keep in mind that the change is not visible right away in the UI. It's only in game and once you get back to the UI screen again that the change is visible.

Also, deleting the bdp file might clear up the issue for you.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

thanks for tips. just no sucess, dont get it.

Make a mos file that calls for the main texture, and name it the same as the main texture. The winter texture does not need to be called by the mos file at all. It will work as long as it is named maintexturename_w.dds.

thank you for confirmation the winter skin feature does not work without builded .mos file, related to the main texture.

ok guys,
    when .mos file created, the winter skin ingame "auto-load" works.

but having another problem, which causes Ive removed .mos files from my latest game add-on releases infact, it is a same song over an over, see:

when loaded my 2048x2048 skin into MOS editor, I have to set Translation 1024x1024 and Scale 2048x2048 values. there seems does not exists any other settings to be able to edit the needed layers and to see the full image.

the final result ingame is then rendered as 1024x1024 resolution skin. that means a half quality, really awful.

I was trying to load a 4096x4096 temporary texture into MOS editor - then the values set is twice higher of course. next, once the .mos file is created, Ive replaced the real skin back to 2048x2048 and loaded the airplane ingame. and what you think? the final result ingame is rendered as 1024x1024 resolution skin. that means a half quality, really awful.

if I remove the .mos files, the ingame textures become sharp 2048x2048 back again.

what I am doing wrong?

I remember having this issue for some aircraft in DPC Korea. I now have <CompositeAircraftTextureMaxDim val="4096"/> set in the configoverrides.xml.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

thanks for tip, well, having same value there.

Have you checked the mos files in Dan/John's etc FW189's such as SJE_fw190a4r6_1_1_43. The skins are all crisp 2048 so I assume they have done something with the mos file? Don't ask me though, I'm quite ignorant!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

got it! to match the resolution when .mos files used, Ive set CompositeAircraftTextureUsage value to 1 (means enabled).

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by BorekS View Post
    got it! to match the resolution when .mos files used, Ive set CompositeAircraftTextureUsage value to 1 (means enabled).
    Um, just to check the blatantly obvious which no-one seems to have mentioned, you ARE testing the winter skin in QC mode in winter, aren't you ? The winter time period is defined in one of the xmls in the Terrains folder IIRC

yes, the QC mod only.
    the primary point of this thread was to learn, hows the winter skin logic - because they dont need to be made as standalone airplane skin slots. solved - it is a matter of _w texture + mos file
    the secondary point was to disclosure, why skins, when the mos file is available, always renderes at my game blurry (half of the real skin resolution). solved - it is a matter of one config file.

Members who have read this thread: 0