Migration of Controller Profiles/Files (a fix I found)

Thread: Migration of Controller Profiles/Files (a fix I found)

Migration of Controller Profiles/Files (a fix I found)

A bit of a preface to this story, please bear with me. So, as some here may know, back on July 12th, my PC got hit by lightning and was thus the end for that system for my Flightsim usage. I have since bought a nice system with an i7-8700K, GTX 1080 GPU, 32gb RAM, and twin 1tb SSD's and a 2tb HDD. Great system for DCS and P3Dv4 but one thing I always hate is migration of files following a new PC purchase. On the previous PC I had DCS and FSX but after losing that PC and with the age and limitations of FSX, P3Dv4 was now in the cards as the only logical replacement as a general platform (plus I do use the P3Dv4 platform for actual training/education purposes and not entertainment). Anyhow, having gotten used to DCS's UI, I like how it's set up but it can be time consuming to set up for each aircraft in deep detail. Once I did so, I backed up all the controller profiles to two difference storage drives just in case. When I put DCS into my new system and reinstalled everything, pretty quickly I moved the controller profiles into place BUT much to my dismay they didn't work. Stumped as to why, I got no answers from research on the matter. I ended up creating a new profile for the F/A-18C and figured I would have to do the bindings for all the different models over again. On a whim. I decided to go and look for the updated profile and BOOM! I see both the original backed up profile (one each for the stick and throttle, an X-56 HOTAS) and the two new ones. It was then I realized that the newly installed/updated Logitech drivers for the X-56 for W10x64 were labeled differently from the ones I had saved in W7 on my old PC. The old profile files (lua files) were labeled as follows:

Saitek Pro Flight X-56 Rhino Stick {B811C430-5414-11e6-8001-444553540000}.diff.lua
    Saitek Pro Flight X-56 Rhino Throttle {B811C430-5414-11e6-8003-444553540000}.diff.lua

and the new ones I created for the F/A-18C looked like this:

X56 H.O.T.A.S. Stick {F479A380-8DF0-11e8-8006-444553540000}.diff.lua
    X56 H.O.T.A.S. Throttle {F479A380-8DF0-11e8-8007-444553540000}.diff.lua

So, inspecting the newer file names, I decided that I might be able to get away with renaming all of the old saved lua controller files with the new name entries via copy & paste (leaving the lua file extension intact). It worked!

I have my DCS installation on a separate SSD (F: drive) from my W10 Pro OS but the portion of DCS that contains the controller profile is on my OS SSD; C:\users\username\saved games\DCS\Config\input\FA-18C_hornet (or other aircraft)\joystick.

Anyhow, long winded explanation for a simple fix in case you encounter a similar situation trying to migrate DCS controller profiles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also, anyone here can feel free to share this on any sites serving DCS users.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great find!!! Thank You for info.

Patrick

Members who have read this thread: 0