North American SNJ-5 "NAS Pensacola 1950".zip

Thread: North American SNJ-5 "NAS Pensacola 1950".zip

North American SNJ-5 "NAS Pensacola 1950".zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FSX Military skins - Korean era

Description: This is a repaint for the payware FSX/P3D A2A Simulations AT-6 Texan. This repaint depicts the SNJ-5 BuNo.91066 which survives today in storage pending restoration with Tri-State Aviation in Wahpeton, North Dakota. The aircraft is depicted in original, authentic 1950-1951 era markings as it would have had while stationed at NAS Pensacola during that period. The aircraft is presented as it would look if fully restored and flying today in those original markings, including its real-world registration of N8005V applied under the tail.

Includes modified VC textures to reflect authentic details of an original in-service SNJ.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit North American SNJ-5 "NAS Pensacola 1950".zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Beautiful.... I just Love your work and attention to all the details. Thank You for Another Wonderful Warbird!!

I don't know if it would be 100% accurate, historically, but it's certainly entirely possible that it should have either Lt(JG) A.H. Bernard, or Lt(JG) T. Tomlinson under the aft canopy rail. The one is my father, the other is a real good friend.

Great looking plane! Definately going in the hangar!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Thank you gentlemen for your replies! This is a repaint that I actually did a couple years ago, but never got it uploaded anywhere, I only had shared it on the A2A forum with a temporary download link that had long since expired.

Pat, do you have your father's logbook and does this aircraft's BuNo show up in it? That would be quite fascinating, as the reason I did this repaint is because it was a request by another flight simmer, Bill Beseler, whose grandfather flew this very aircraft a number of times in training as it shows up in his logbook. As I mention in the repaint description, the airframe still survives today, completely intake and unrestored, in storage (but completely stripped to bare metal).

When I did this repaint, I spent a lot of time researching the specific stencils and stencil locations and the sizes and placements of the stars & bars as SNJ's operating from Pensacola at the time had, so that it would all be as accurate as possible (without actually having any photos showing this particular airframe at the time). The only detail that was not known is what the individual aircraft number/"buzz number" was. Unless an original photo is found, or a record of the aircraft from Pensacola would have it marked on it, it is impossible to know what that number was since it never had anything to do with the BuNo or any other number associated with the airframe. I just picked "28", as it would have been within the range of numbers used, I didn't have any photos showing an SNJ with the number "28" (therefore it could have been an option, since I couldn't prove it was another airframe), I had enough photos to accurately draw the stencils for the the 2 (which was also used upside down as a five) and 8, and it was also my age at the time I did the repaint. The sizes and placements of the "28", and as I mentioned the design of those stencils (and all of the stencils you see on the aircraft), are all accurately drawn and located.

In the VC, I've used my WWII-era modified textures, which accurately color the canopy frames black, and among other things depict the instruments in the period-look. On this one in particular, I also re-did some of the instruments again to have the look of the Navy gauges. Not all, but several of the gauges on these SNJ's had some of the details of the dials (ticks and numbers) colored "Munsell Green", and you'll find that depicted with this repaint. For the full compliment of Munsell Green gauges, you'll have to operate the aircraft with the Knots-version of the airpseed indicator, rather than the MPH-version.

Pat, do you have your father's logbook and does this aircraft's BuNo show up in it? That would be quite fascinating, as the reason I did this repaint is because it was a request by another flight simmer, Bill Beseler, whose grandfather flew this very aircraft a number of times in training as it shows up in his logbook. As I mention in the repaint description, the airframe still survives today, completely intake and unrestored, in storage (but completely stripped to bare metal).
    Sadly, no, that item is forever denied me. My father and I haven't spoken in over 30 years, and never will again.
    I was going by stories I heard my father telling his friends at some of the parties thrown at our home when I was a kid. Some very interesting people there, too. Tennessee Ernie Ford, one of the Lears, and so on. But he told stories of his days as an IP at Pensacola, before he was rapidly and somewhat forcibly transferred to Miramar, due to an "incident" during a Change of Command ceremony at Pensacola. He got stinking drunk, and made his opinion of the outgoing CO, by leaning against a palm tree and yelling "HA!" every time the CO paused during his speech. Full Officer's Dress Whites, including sword.
    He was transferred, and quietly told he'd never see another promotion. He decided it was time to go to work for the Airlines, and United snapped him up. He did pick up a nice 1932 Ford Model A, a '32 Coupe Special. 2 spare tires, rumble seat, the whole nine, on the way up Interstate 8 out for the desert towords San Diego. Paid $10.00 for it. Drove it for years...

But anyway, I know he flew SNJ's as an instructor at Pensacola until then. Just which plane(s) I couldn't say...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Bomber_12th.
    Did you ever do a repaint of the Pacific Fighters restored - Dan Friedkin owned P-51B "Berlin Express" for the Warbirdsim P-51 Flight Leader/P-51B Fighter Pairs for FSX?? Do you know if the plan for that Mustang is to remain in England or will they eventually ship her back to the States?? That airplane/restoration just amazes me. Such a Beauty.... Sure gave us a scare last year to hear the Canopy let go. Could have been bad.

I spoke to Ray Fowler at Oshkosh about the differences in Flying the B/C and the D. He said Roush's "Old Crow" looked Cool, and the visibility was really great out of it... but the tail was always unhappy and the D flew a lot better. Muszala had said the same thing about "Berlin Express" but said it was really a great airplane to Fly. "Old Crow" even put the fillet on the tail after flying it for awhile to improve that handling. I thought that was interesting.....

Members who have read this thread: 1