Scenery Question

Thread: Scenery Question

Icon5 Scenery Question

Does anyone know if scenery made in and for FSX will work in FS9 ?

Its one of those, some can and some cant answers im afraid, best way to find out is load it up and see what happens. There are some common problems, like ground poly's not showing and AFD file's not working properly, although you can load them up in ADE and retro them and hunt down any problems in the fault finder facility, some objects may or may not display also, all depending on how they were made and with what program. Trial and error im afraid

Members +
    If I recall, & I stand corrected, FS2004 is bassically a 'flat'world, & FSX is rounded, so there might be errors.
    Trying will no do any harm, just remember where the files go, in case you need to remove.

Thanks for the responses.

It sounds dicey and unpredictable. I'd try it if the scenery I'm interested in was freeware, but it's not.

I'd like to have Golden Age Sims' scenery of Catalina Island, the one that comes with their Douglas Dolphin, in Golden Wings. I'd buy the package if I knew the scenery worked in FS9 even though I know the plane would not. I don't need the Dolphin because a little birdie told me that there's an FS9 Dolphin in the works, and anticipating the plane got me thinking about the scenery.

Maybe I should post in the FSX forum and ask if anyone who has that package also put the scenery into FS9, though I don't know why anyone who has FSX would bother to do that.

Icon5

Hi Mick,
    Only one poor man's choice, still a payware but for Fs9.... https://www.fspilotshop.com/mikemax-...rt-p-2312.html for $10...

And if you don't ask you don't get......

Cheers

Shessi

It sounds dicey and unpredictable. I'd try it if the scenery I'm interested in was freeware, but it's not.
    Your probably right being cautious, if its a FSX payware product, the chance's of it working in FS9 are probably very slim

Mick, IIRC there was/is a very large package around covering ORBX textures 'converted' for FS9.
    I've never followed through on it (probably not legit) but as I understand it this was just global textures.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Hi Mick,
    Only one poor man's choice, still a payware but for Fs9.... https://www.fspilotshop.com/mikemax-...rt-p-2312.html for $10...
    And if you don't ask you don't get......
    Cheers
    Shessi
    Thanks Mark! For ten bucks I was ready to order it. Fortunately, checkbook in hand, I read the description and saw that it's the Airport In The Sky, the land airport they made by lopping the top off of the mountain in the middle of the island. It opened in 1941, not long before the outbreak of WW2, so wasn't present in the Golden Age except for that brief period, less than a year, at the very end.

I was wishing for the old, original water aerodrome at Hamilton Cove with that huge round pavilion on the shore, the hangars up on the hillside and the turntable to help the planes get round that sharp turn on the taxiway to the water's edge.

I've searched extensively and I'm pretty sure it's never been modeled for FS9, neither freeware nor payware. Sad.

I have the FSX GAS Douglas Dolphin with the Hamilton Cove scenery. I tried to "transplant" the scenery into my Golden Wings install. Alas, it does not display at all. I also would appreciate a Hamilton Cove seaplane base for Golden Wings. It does look great in FSX!

Quote Originally Posted by llanning08 View Post
    I have the FSX GAS Douglas Dolphin with the Hamilton Cove scenery. I tried to "transplant" the scenery into my Golden Wings install. Alas, it does not display at all. I also would appreciate a Hamilton Cove seaplane base for Golden Wings. It does look great in FSX!
    Thanks for a definitive answer!

I wish it was different.

Bill Lyons' Grumman Goose package (I think it was the Goose package) includes a very basic version of the Airport In The Sky that approximates it as it appeared very early on (probably when construction had barely got started) and a couple more buildings placed there gives it a somewhat acceptable look. But that hardly fits into Golden Wings, the airport not having been built until 1941, just in time to get shut down, at least for civilian operations, upon the outbreak of war.

In the same package he put a simple dock and a tiny little ticket shed at Hamilton Cove, but nothing that looks anything like the real thing.

The seadrome was so unique, with the buildings up the hill from the water and that steeply sloping taxiway and the turntable for the planes at the corner, and that huge round pavilion - all far beyond the capabilities of a simple object placement program and one who can do just the simplest things with it.

If only...

Members who have read this thread: 0