RAF Brüggen - first impressions - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: RAF Brüggen - first impressions

Bruggen.
    Gutersloh.

Wildenrath?

Dave

I deleted this post because I posted it twice accidentally...
    Best regards, Manfred.

Wildenrath -it's itching to do it, but too little fotos or history unfortunately, I could use a lot of RAF Brüggen and/or RAF Gütersloh objects though...
    Best regards, Manfred.

Where to get these awesome sceneries?

When released (don't ask for a date, please...) on most well known download pages for sure....

Now, these shots will be the final shots for the time being. I have to work on minor details like runway edge smoothing, markings, GSE, vehicles and so on.

Rails now added to RAF Brüggen....

Ramp west maintenance

...first markings at HAS areas. Tricky, because each apron seems to have it's individual markings...

Best regards, Manfred.

Holy caca! Such awesome detail work in your sceneries, Manschy

I am, as are so many other SOH, looking forward to this release! Thank you for all the work you have put into this! NC

Thank you very much, NC!!!

Against all my expectations, I got earlier success to add specular maps to my ground polys. So, rather than expected some few latest shots. Meanwhile, dirt and marking layers were also added:

Best regards, Manfred.

Every screenshot you post, Manschy, looks better and better! NC

Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    Thank you very much, NC!!!

Against all my expectations, I got earlier success to add specular maps to my ground polys. So, rather than expected some few latest shots. Meanwhile, dirt and marking layers were also added:
    Very nice work! It does makes a great difference doesn't it!

Have you tried adding bump maps too? I can't really make out from your screens. All those seams in the concrete would come to life.

Thank you, guys.
    Bump maps aren't added so far. Until now, I used 2048x2048 texture sheets which I arranged haphazardly instead of a big one-piece photoground. That way, I can use far less big texture files by simultaneously crisp ground textures. Will have a look if I add bump maps indeed. Would be challenging certainly....
    Best regards, Manfred.

It is actually quite simple. If you have already assigned a spec map to your GP material you can assign a bump map too. You need of course to create that bump map first and it will need to be subtle in order not to overdo it. Combined with the spec map it gives 3d feeling to the surface. Also using different spec/bump maps on painted surfaces will further diversify the look:

I still have not applied PBR techniques on GPs. I need to do this soon and check what more this new hype may bring.

Your method of using GPs everywhere instead of photoreal background is inspiring. I can fully understand the work involved. Keep it up!

Your shot is quite inspiring. Will give it a try definetely...One question though: Is it possible to place the bump map layer ON TOP of the markings layer? So that way, you won't have markings "above" the seams...
    Best regards, Manfred.

Looks very good , and nice shine on the Asphalt !

OMG, Manchy! Just saw this update. Such beautiful work. Said good-bye to FS9 with my new rig, but your RAF Gutersloh is unforgettable. Thank you for your dedication.

Your shot is quite inspiring. Will give it a try definetely...One question though: Is it possible to place the bump map layer ON TOP of the markings layer? So that way, you won't have markings "above" the seams...
    Sorry for the late reply Manchy, just saw your post.

The bump needs to be applied to the texture/material it represents. If this is below the markings layer then it will be below the markings. However, by applying a transparency level to the markings you get the seams showing them. Also markings can have their own bump and spec maps to represent the painted surface as different from the bare concrete. The actual markings on concrete are quite thick and often cover and fill the seams so having them above with a transparency looks quite good. I’ll see if I can find a screenshot to show you the effect.

Thank you, Dimus. Decided to delay working on the bumps until I finished my night texturing....

Even progress is slowly, it goes on. So this week I started with the first night texturing, the road lighting, because this was a little tricky to get the light beams flat on the ground without any flickering and retaining the ground structures....

Best regards, Manfred.

Best regards, Manfred.

Very nice Manchy!

Is the light splash a textured surface laying a small distance from the ground? If so what is this distance?

Small note: You have a stray light splash without a pole in the middle of the road at the junction on the left side of the housing area.

Ah, Eagle-Eye-Dimus is in the house

Yap, I have to locate and destroy it, thank you (Man, you have what it takes to get a beta tester...).

The light splashes to the ground are all one ground polygon, so its alpha is directly on the ground and allows the ground to shine through better than seperate added planes made as objects/planes... The screen with the Cobra shows it well.
    Best regards, Manfred.

Ah, Eagle-Eye-Dimus is in the house

Yap, I have to locate and destroy it, thank you (Man, you have what it takes to get a beta tester...).

The light splashes to the ground are all one ground polygon, so its alpha is directly on the ground and allows the ground to shine through better than seperate added planes made as objects/planes... The screen with the Cobra shows it well.
    That's good info Manschy, thanks! I have not tried that yet. In my scenery the light poles I placed are over photoreal background so I simply made a night map for the whole ground where the light splashes are simply painted on night version of the bitmap. I have tried light splash included on the light pole model itself for runway and taxiway lights, where I use a textured polygon a few centimeters from the ground.

For larger splashes like yours the GP method sounds great.

Btw I happen to be a beta tester, but it also comes with the job as ship surveyor.

At first appereance not a milestone, but to me finally the last piece of the puzzle to get more reality into the scenery.
    Today I added the first bump maps to the groundpolys, to the concrete areas at first. Not many will follow because of the performance and the upload size in mind. Furthermore, most grass textures are fine enough to fake 3D vegetation....Same with buildings btw...

Best regards, Manfred.

Blog Entries
    Crazy gorgeous - can't wait to fly out of there.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what I have in my hangar that could, as my Milviz Phantom is dead in the water for P3D, and Dean's Jaguar is a long ways off. I haven't yet tried Dave Garwood's Hunters - I'm think they work in P3DV4 ... or ... save up for the JF Tornado, hoping it's not as much a hog in this sim as it was in FSX.

Either way - looks delightful, and will be much appreciated.

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Crazy gorgeous - can't wait to fly out of there.

I haven't yet tried Dave Garwood's Hunters - I'm think they work in P3DV4.

dl
    The Hunters look good and fly well in P3Dv4.5hf.

-Rob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    The Hunters look good and fly well in P3Dv4.5hf.

-Rob
    Thanks Rob!

Great work Manfred. This will be lovely when done. Already is, really...

Members who have read this thread: 0