Firefly - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Firefly

The next repaint (preview).

Fairey Firefly F1 Early, E3-J, Z2116, FAA No. 731 Sqd, East Haven airbase, the end of 1944.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Yoyo,

For the bombs and rockets there's also a switch on the side of the cockpit to select the firing mode, which I think needs to be made. I haven't got the manual to hand but it does vary by version. Did you get the loading gauge to work then?

Love the repaint!

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    Yoyo,

For the bombs and rockets there's also a switch on the side of the cockpit to select the firing mode, which I think needs to be made. I haven't got the manual to hand but it does vary by version. Did you get the loading gauge to work then?

Love the repaint!
    I'll try it again.

Btw. small variation, IN YOUR MODELS KIT STORE SOON :

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

YoYo, such a great merge of the old with the new. That shot certainly brings back great childhood memories.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Yoyo,
    That box art is amazing!
    When I do the Tacpack update I'll try and make the weapons control a bit more logical! Unfortunately I couldn't find a lot of information on what the switches did, I even asked the Fleet Air Arm museum but they haven't catalogued their Firefly stuff yet.

Picked up the Firefly last night. Lovely model, but I had a couple of issues.
    Frame rate in the VC was very low, around 20fps, compared to around 75 in the external view, and quite stuttery.
    Swapping to one of the other Firefly models caused the aircraft to go haywire, spinning and bucking with the prop and spinner missing. Had to restart the sim to recover.

I don't see anyone else reporting these problems, so it may well be something on my system causing a conflict.
    I didn't have much time to troubleshoot last night but I'll try again tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    Frame rate in the VC was very low, around 20fps, compared to around 75 in the external view, and quite stuttery.
    Swapping to one of the other Firefly models caused the aircraft to go haywire, spinning and bucking with the prop and spinner missing. Had to restart the sim to recover.

I don't see anyone else reporting these problems, so it may well be something on my system causing a conflict.
    Dave,

I haven't noticed the fps drop you're getting in the VC, I'm not even sure what would cause it as it's more or less the external model with working needles and no undercarriage!
    Not sure about the prop issue, although I found the Sea Fury occasionally did the same thing. With that I found swapping aircraft while paused seemed to stop it happening. I think it might be something to do with the engine gauge not stopping the sim going to full power on start, which massively over boosts the engine. I had a vague idea for a fix for the Fury, once I'm home I'll drop you an updated gauge to see if it works.

I didnt notice this, fps are like default Maule, not worse, its a light model.

Seems to be the radar that's causing the problem for me. The F1 is fine (round about 55-60fps in the VC). The FR1 is only about 20-22fps in the VC.
    If I open the 2d radar control panel fps drops to about 15. Turn on the radar and close the 2d popup and the fps then jumps up and down between roughly 22 and 45 in a regular cycle even if I turn the radar off again. Disabling the radar in the [VCockpit02] section of the panel.cfg puts the fps up to the same as the F1.

Seems to be the radar that's causing the problem for me. The F1 is fine (round about 55-60fps in the VC). The FR1 is only about 20-22fps in the VC.
    If I open the 2d radar control panel fps drops to about 15. Turn on the radar and close the 2d popup and the fps then jumps up and down between roughly 22 and 45 in a regular cycle even if I turn the radar off again. Disabling the radar in the [VCockpit02] section of the panel.cfg puts the fps up to the same as the F1.
    Ahhh, right, I didnt fly FR1 yet, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    Yoyo,

Here is what I did. The loading gauge works (I think because I see weapons, just no fonts as it was repored before). Switches are UP, Arm is on but when I hit Button 1 - I dont see any effects .

Yoyo,

From memory one of the versions needs a second switch to be made on the right hand side of the cockpit, it may be that?

Dave,

I'll have a look at that when I get home. I'm not sure there's a lot that can be done though because of the way the radar works.

On the deck at last

As per the previous thread on aircraft carrier landings by Yo-Yo, I've been getting things right until I hit the deck then
    I always seen to end up nose forward eating carrier!!

The [tailhook] cable_force_adjust =0.7 - 1.5 fix didn't seem to work for me. What I found to work was:

[tailhook]
    tailhook_length= 0.6000
    tailhook_position=-24.000, 0.000, -0.600
    cable_force_adjust= 2.200

Now I'm buttering Victorious like bread!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-2-17_19-20-36-198.jpg  

[QUOTE=ozrico;1175169]
    As per the previous thread on aircraft carrier landings by Yo-Yo, I've been getting things right until I hit the deck then
    I always seen to end up nose forward eating carrier!!

The [tailhook] cable_force_adjust =0.7 - 1.5 fix didn't seem to work for me. What I found to work was:

[tailhook]
    tailhook_length= 0.6000
    tailhook_position=-24.000, 0.000, -0.600
    cable_force_adjust= 2.200

Now I'm buttering Victorious like bread!

Thanks it works a treat

Having finally got on top of things in the real world I've done a bit of digging into why people were finding carrier landings tricky. And then I found out I wasn't rusty, okay I was but not that rusty, but that the P3Dv4 gauge wasn't doing everything it had been doing in P3Dv3. Full explanation on the blog along with the updated gauge if you don't want to wait for the next update. In short you should now land like the picture below rather than tipping onto the prop!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Touchdown.jpg  

In a fit of productivity I've updated the Firefly for TacPack. If you'd like to update yours the files are on the blog, I'll also be doing an update for the installer in the next week or so once I've tweaked a few other bits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TacPack.jpg  

Ohhh, thank You!

Just picked this interesting aircraft up. Were any of the repaints shown in this thread by YoYo and jeansy ever released? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

TIA
    Don H
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Members who have read this thread: 1