Carrier Landing Basics
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrier Landing Basics

Carrier Landing Basics

Ok, since I moved over to FSX SE, I've yet to try carrier ops in it. Just what is needed for them? Or can I just hop into my trusty old Seafire and go for it? FS9 was easy enough with the carriers at anchor although the wind could be a bit of a nuisance at times. I'm wanting to see if I can hit a moving target. Errr...... make that land on a moving deck.

W
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Blog Entries
    Moving carriers was the single biggest enhancement for why I witched to FSX. Never looked back, since that’s easily 75% of my sim flying.

Pattern your progress after real life training. Most folks jump into a fighter and then struggle with poor consistent results. My suggestion is start on trainers, like the T-28. Piglets A-1 and Richardson’s Gannet work well too, with slow approach speeds. Work up to the faster fighters.

Enjoy the progress. It’s very rewarding.

There’s some good threads here. I’ll. Try to find them later (on vacation now). Lots of great help from some really talented pilots. Including DaveB - RIP.

Will pop in later.

DL

Have you got AiCarriers already?

Cees

I've got the Vertigo SBD which is pretty slow.

Cees, I've heard some about it, but where can I find it? Off to see how my Google Fu is working today.

If you hop on youtube and search, you will find a video tutorial for setting up the .net version of Aicarriers. It includes some links to download it. Works the same as the original. Or for payware, get Tacpack and use the carrier functions there. The SWS Midway battlegroup is fantastic - and on offer atm, 30% off I think (see Justflight).

Only just started to give this a go myself after 11 years. Managed to trap the VRS FA-18 on third attempt, then got cocky and it all went downhill ! But I'm hooked - land bases, who needs 'em?

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

You'll find a version that doesn't need java here: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/ind...c,11293.0.html

Cees

Edit: I prefer the non-java version!

Once you get AI Carriers figured out, you need the "Pitching Deck" addon by Orion Lyau.

HP Reverb G2

Blog Entries
    Older thread, but with some still-relevant information, esp with regards to 50s and 60s era carrier naval aviation.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ghlight=Gannet

The royale French Navy content is to die for-and all free. Flying Stations is at a comparable level - all great top drawer material.

Richardson’s F9F Cougar trainer is a delightful little gem too. The virtavia F4D Skyray, that I know you have from those great reps it’s you did a few years back - is also an enjoyable plane from what I know is an a of interest to you.

Cheers,

DL

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Once you get AI Carriers figured out, you need the "Pitching Deck" addon by Orion Lyau.

Has anyone got a working link to Pitching Deck please?
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Oh great! It's not enough that the things are moving about, now they're going up and down too! LOL Guess I'll need that as well.

My Google fu was working and I found the .net version by Orion just haven't quite got my head around the installation yet. And I've raided the library here for any carrier that looked like fun (that would be the old straight deck ones) plus other ships that looked interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrog View Post
    Has anyone got a working link to Pitching Deck please?
    I'd like that too!

Cees

This thread was posted when PitchingDeck was released. Some informative notes on installation. Haven't found a good link to the program yet. All dead ones. I sent him a PM, but he hasn't posted here in several years...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-Pitching-Deck
    HP Reverb G2

P, dead links were all I was finding too.

Oh boy! One of my favorite subjects!

In addition to AICarriers.NET, you need vLSO. Simulates the LSO's extremely well. They're mean and grumpy, though, and very picky, so be warned!
    A good weather engine is nice, too, although I like setting it up myself, using the FSX weather engine.
    Installing AICarriers.NET is actually easier than you might think. You can place the AICarriers folder anywhere you like. Avoid putting it in your C:\Program Files, or C:\Program Files (X86), folder. They will cause nothing but grief.
    The thing that throws people is the entry in the exe.xml file to start it automatically. The critical thing to remember about that is to ensure the <Path> line is absolutely correct. NO errors. Even small, seemingly insignifigant things, like spaces, punctuation, and so on, can give you problems. If you need help with that detail, just let us know.
    Another thing that critical to installing AICarriers.NET is to download and install the correct .NET Framework file. There is a link in the Readme for where to find it. You want the X86 (32 bit) version. A note on it's installation, however: It can appear to lock up, or freeze. It's NOT. It can sit there like that for quite some time, like 15 or 20 minutes. Just wait. Go get some coffee, take a walk, whatever. It will get done eventually.
    Finally, and then I'll shut my mouth, so to speak, make sure you set AICarriers to start as Administrator. If you need help with that, just let us know

The Library here at SOH has some very good carriers to use.
    Another place to find real good WWII carriers is FS Shipyards. It may be found here: http://www.fs-shipyards.org/ Just look over on the left side for the DOWNLOADS link. Lots of real good boats.

Hope all my babbling is some, small help! I love carrier ops in FSX.
    OH, I have to say, delta-lima is 100% correct. Best to use a trainer of some kind, and to a ton of FCLP bounces before you head out to the boat, but that's all up to you.

Only just started to give this a go myself after 11 years. Managed to trap the VRS FA-18 on third attempt, then got cocky and it all went downhill !
    Mr. Teeboy, if I may suggest a much better plane, if you want to fly Hornets, try the FSDT FSX BA F/A-18C v18.3. It outstrips any other plane out there, as far as Hornets go. I can provide a link to the download if you desire.

Have fun all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    There's a working link to Pitching Deck in this thread: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/ind...c,17740.0.html
    Thanks Dave! That's a newer version than the one I have.
    HP Reverb G2

Thanks Dave! That's a newer version than the one I have.
    Probably gonna be like trying land on a mechanical bull. lol

vLSO

You can download vLSO for free. You can configure it for any aircraft if you follow the instructions and you can download the FCLP's to work with it (Fleet Carrier Landing Practice) fields. After you graduate from FCLP you can start practicing on the carrier at sea like real Navy pilots do. "If was easy anyone could do it." You can download the T6A Texan II which is the plane used at Pensacola for JPPTS from Iris. When you have mastered it you can download Dino's T45 for your CARQUALS. Got that Nugget?

Now, since you were talking Seafire...try doing your FSLPs in the DHC Chipmunk. Here is the link for the freeware:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...hc-1-chipmunk/ and Just Flight has a payware version more complete.

Then the advanced trainer was the AT6Texan or for Brits and Canucks the Harvard and there are some freeware and the awesome A2A for payware. Here is an unbelieveable free package 65MB at Perfect Flight:

http://www.fs2000.org/2016/06/01/fsx...6-texan-aa615/

Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Probably gonna be like trying land on a mechanical bull. lol
    Yep, lol. But, the cool thing about this program is that you can set the "frequency" and "amplitude" of the pitching and rolling, so you can start out with "small waves." On my initial setup I had the ship pitching and rolling way too quickly. 30,000 tons takes a while to roll to one side, stop, and come back the other way. I played with the settings in the XML file until the motion looked about like I remember from the "Big-E" days.
    HP Reverb G2

Hey Willy, looks like you are getting plenty of help, no help here, I like long and wide runways. hehe Looking forward to see the final results.

Quote Originally Posted by Taco View Post
    Hey Willy, looks like you are getting plenty of help, no help here, I like long and wide runways. hehe Looking forward to see the final results.
    Should be plenty of flames and scrap aluminum before I get it sorted out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Should be plenty of flames and scrap aluminum before I get it sorted out.
    Say, that reminds me of the good old days when @Panther_99FS used to grace us with his comedic “how not land” screenshots. Somewhere along the line someone coined the phrase “panthered” for a bad landing. The man is a giant of a human being in all the ways that matter. Fun times. Good ole days.

As to technique, knowing the pattern is crucial to making a structured approach that sets you up at the correct altitudes and speeds for the main milestones of a good approach.

The patterns vary somewhat from WWII to modern, and certainly CATOBAR vs STOBAR boats, but picking a boat and learning its pattern will help immensely. Here’s the modern USN, as an example.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...to_carrier.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USNavy_CV1_approach_to_carrier.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	62387

Let us know how you get on!

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Mr. Teeboy, if I may suggest a much better plane, if you want to fly Hornets, try the FSDT FSX BA F/A-18C v18.3. It outstrips any other plane out there, as far as Hornets go. I can provide a link to the download if you desire.
    Now that sounds interesting.
    What makes the FSDT BA Hornet so much better than the VRS one ? (ignoring the fact that one is a freeware Hornet, and the other is a payware Super Hornet, of course).
    Last time I tried the BA Hornet, it still had an incomplete modelling of the VC, with many inactive switches/systems, and a lot of domains of the flight model were still being worked on.
    But that was maybe two years ago. What's the status nowadays ?
    For me, it's hard to imagine that bird doing anything better than the VRS (for which the only critic I ever saw was the speed at which it was accumulating the Gs, which was too fast or too low, I don't remember...)

They've got the FCS pretty well perfected now. Which is to say it flies very very much like the real C model Hornet. That's according to the real world Hornet drivers on the team. They're listed in the aircraft.cfg, if you want to verify anyone's credentials
    The VC is really coming along nicely. I can't say every little switch is perfected, but a lot of them are. They even got the flaps switch to work properly.
    Since they've moved all it's functions to the DDIs, the HUD Control Panel is going to go away with the next update, due maybe September or October. Depends on how fast Jimi and Orion can code

Mainly, though, is the difference in the FCS from the last one you tried. It really rocks now!
    The BA one has an FCS that's coded into the HornetFCS.dll file, and it uses a PID controller, very much similar to the real one. The VRS doesn't have that sort of system. Orion has really rocked on this thing. It took a long time, and a lot of trial and error with the PID controllers in the aircraft.cfg to really zero it in.

Like you said, though, it's FREEWARE. What can it hurt to download and give it a try? Worst case scenario, you don't like it, and delete it.
    It's import, too, to make sure you have all the ancillary files installed. The Simconnect, the .NET Framework, all that fun stuff. Especially the F18.dll file. It comes with FSX, so you SHOULD have it, but if it's not in the FSX\Gauges folder, you need to put it there.
    If you DON'T have all the ancillary stuff, you'll get a big red FCS FAIL message on the HUD, and the FCS is such a big part of this plane's advantage that it's a big fat deal, you know?

Anywho, give a try! What the heck, right?
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 1