deadly fire in norcal

Thread: deadly fire in norcal

deadly fire in norcal

the Carr fire started on the 23rd of july,is now 44,450 acres,but it made a huge run into the city of Redding last night,65 homes and 55 outbuilding have burned in total,last night a dozer operator was killed and three fire fighters burned,sounds like it may have been a burnover,and early this am and Redding city fire fighter died,i dont know that situation though.

I'm evauwaited. Start of day 2 away.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Prayers to all. I’m in Red Bluff for a few days and the sky is Smokey and ash falling all over the place. Flukey winds and hot, dry conditions keep cal fire from gaining on it. I think the latest is 500 structures destroyed and entire towns evacuated. Only less than 10% contained.
    all in all, a serious disaster.

I live between Klamath Falls and Crater Lake, and we have our own troubles with fires. Crater Lake area has had a some, under control now, but I listen to the Police/Fire radios, and we get a few more light up every day. Most can be directly attributed to either arson, or simple stupidity. Bon fires, homeless camps, idiots tossing cigarettes out their cars, you name it. The local fire departments and Forest Service have, so far, stayed on top of it. I just dread the days when thunderstorms roll. Lightning can really cause problems.
    We have a huge amount of smoke in the air from those NorCal fires, too. I can hardly see 1/2 mile. It's thick. Really hard on the eyes, as well.
    I'm sorry for those injured and killed fighting these fires. They're all volunteers, and they're giving their lives to keep us safe. I know a couple personally, and I worry for them. My doctor's husband is a Smoke Jumper. She's preggers, 3rd child, and real close to giving birth. I sincerely hope her husband stays safe. She doesn't need the added stress!

I have to say, though, that 99% of these fires are the result of human intervention in how Mother Nature handles things. We've prevented ALL forest fires for so long, that the fuel has built and built. Undergrowth, dead-wood piles, all of that good stuff. The trees and other plants evolved to handle minor forest fires. Heck some pines NEED a fire to reproduce. Small fires also recycle the dead wood and plant growth back into the soil for the next generations to utilize. But now, with the huge supply of fuel, all it takes is a little spark.
    All our fault, and we pay the price. Houses destroyed, pets, horses, cows, and so on die of fire or smoke, even people who want to try to stay and save their homes. All destroyed by human short-sightedness.
    I'm sorry. Just a subject I feel strongly about. I dearly love the forest of all kinds, and hate to see it destroyed. I grew up in the redwood forests near San Francisco, and spent hours and hours wandering through them. At least the redwoods are relatively fireproof. Bark like asbestos helps a lot. But sadly, the redwoods, some literally thousands of years old, and being rudely chopped down and rooted out to make room for the wealthy to build more mansions. An immense loss to humanity...

Ok, ok, </rant off>

Sorry to have taken y'all's time.
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Phantom,i agree with all youve said whole heartedly.is that a word?..anyway ive been talking about better forest management for many many years,i think to efforts of groups like the sierra club is all wrong,i too want to save animals and forests,BUT fires like the distructive fire in lake tahoe several years back are prime examples as to how theyre "rules" are more dangerous..they didnt like people cleaning up downed pine needles ( this is the simple story) that fall in neighborhoods ,they claimed that the cleaned surface allowed dirt to be washed into lake tahoe,dont mind the fact the that type of sediment will settle and the lake will then cleanse itself.so this forest duff was more than a foot thick in places,some idiot near fallen leaf lake allowed a small camp fire (shouldnt have had one burning) to escape and it turned into a huge fire distroying homes and killing animals,ended up with a bear having to be treated for extencive burns and what have you,the good news,the bear is still alive and in a zoo,it couldnt be reliesed as the burns were so bad it wouldnt have been able to move around the natural forest.there was also a 911 issue,at that time all 911 calls from cell phones went to CHP in Sacramento,the dispatcher was being lasy and snt the message to the south lake tahoe area chp,Plaverville i think,anyway,they asked an officer to go have a look,he had to go from the community of Strawberry to almost the state line to see anything,mean while the fire was burning more,and other 911 callers were being told it was being looked into (how stupid can someone be where youve gotten 20 plus calls from 20 differant people that you dont realise there may be a real fire??) turned out some local volunteers saw the smoke,contacted USFS direclty and they responded..by the time the CHP officer arrived,they'd been on the fire for a good 10-20 minutes..this fire is also the reason the university of renos siemic center started the fire cameras in the tahoe area,theyre now spreading cameras all over calif and nevada.

A grandmother and 2 grandkids taken by the fire. :-(
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

heard that,its a shame for sure.

Flying out in the next couple of days is an ANZAC contingent, 200+ highly experienced Australian and New Zealand fire fighters.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 0