Finally In Sim

Thread: Finally In Sim

Finally In Sim

Well, I'm finally in-Sim with P3Dv4 with my new rig and have began adding as many addons as I can that I already owned that don't need a paid upgrade (the ones that need such an upgrade will come in due time). Overall, I am very impressed from the standpoint of it running like we always hoped the original FSX program would. The visuals overall are better but I wish LM had done more with the ground textures, LC, etc etc. Still, now I can actually enjoy flying from point A to B without memory & VAS errors ending my flight while using high end aircraft and scenery. I will eventually get ORBX stuff to fill a lot of the gaps but still, am happy to be back on platform after FSX's bugs eventually helped to tire me of Flight Simming. What's amazing is that it runs so smoothly with nearly everything maxed out. Had I done that on my previous rig and with FSX, it would have been a brain jarring slide show. I will still tweak P3Dv4 here and there to get the best overall performance but man, I can't get over the shadow and light bloom effects. Now I truly feel like I am flying in a real aircraft again!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great news! I agree with you on the ground textures and ORBX really helped in that area, now if only they would upgrade the ATC.

Happy flying.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Still working in add-ons as well, of course tweaking. I'm running PTA and Orbx, may move REX over. Many immersion points coming from the real world, the moving cloud shadows are just one (sitting on the ramp about to crank and it gets dark all of the sudden). I think the true experience will come when I check out VR.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Still working in add-ons as well, of course tweaking. I'm running PTA and Orbx, may move REX over. Many immersion points coming from the real world, the moving cloud shadows are just one (sitting on the ramp about to crank and it gets dark all of the sudden). I think the true experience will come when I check out VR.
    Oh man, trust me, it IS a true experience! The other day I finally got things set up correctly, and was on the Enterprise flight deck, catapult 2, in a Tomkitty. Hit the catapult trigger on my controller, and POW! I have a Buttkicker connected to my seat, and I let out a "Holy Crap" so loud that it scared my wife in the next room! NC

I had a harrowing experience with Active Sky two days ago.

I was flying the C-130 in IFR conditions and with ATC to the Vientane airport. There were numerous thunderstorm cells at least in a 40nm radius around the airport and visibility was marginal with heavy rain. Had to declare 3 missed approaches and was guided around the airfield to intercept the ILS again. I have been flying in such scenarios often, but never have I experienced such realistic vertical air movement like that in the simulation so far. I was flying at 200kts and the up- or downdrafts were so extreme that the stall horn went on all the time and you really had to keep an eye on the altitude and speed indicator and VSI! Sweaty palms! The only thing that is missing now is hail and icing.

What I'm trying to say is: For me, a realistic weather engine adds immensely to the immersion and the challenge of mastering difficult situations in the simulation.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    Great news! I agree with you on the ground textures and ORBX really helped in that area, now if only they would upgrade the ATC.

Happy flying.
    You could give VOX ATC a try. I only started using it a short while ago, and I don't use it all the time, and it can be a bit buggy. BUT, it adds a lot to the sim having an ATC which can use SIDS and STARS, can direct you and other traffic like it actually matters, and allows you to actually talk to ATC.

Years ago I thought what was the point with a lot of addons, but honestly products like the PMDG 737, together with a good weather engine, FS2Crew and VOX ATC can recreate such an amazing, immersive experience.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    You could give VOX ATC a try. I only started using it a short while ago, and I don't use it all the time, and it can be a bit buggy. BUT, it adds a lot to the sim having an ATC which can use SIDS and STARS, can direct you and other traffic like it actually matters, and allows you to actually talk to ATC.

Years ago I thought what was the point with a lot of addons, but honestly products like the PMDG 737, together with a good weather engine, FS2Crew and VOX ATC can recreate such an amazing, immersive experience.
    I use editvoicepack pro, its a marked improvement

Members who have read this thread: 0