an N3N for FSX
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: an N3N for FSX

an N3N for FSX

periodically I'm just going to grab a stick I keep handy and wallop this ol' hoss

..that is all
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Agreed and if I had any skill in modeling and what not this would have been in the top ten of projects I would have made. There was one local to me here in Minnesota that has/had one but crashed it after an engine failure recently.

Great Seaplanes

Paul Clawson has a native FSX SOC3 Seagull, my favorite of the USN seaplanes over at Flightsim. He also has the USS Idaho (static) with the catapault available there too. I think I have a thread here somewhere showing my Seagull and the USS Pensacola Cruiser off of Diamond Head in 1939 that I installed "catapaults" on with ADE and it worked great. Tim Conrad did a really nice Kingfisher too. I may experiment with CCP and see if I can get the USS Pensacola moving and the Seagull able to start on the catapaults. I'll do my own thread for that and not hijack this one. Wanted you guys to know about "Put Put's SOC3 FSX and the USS Idaho which I have had a lot of fun with back when it was FS2004.

FSX Curtiss SOC-3 Seagull
    https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib...ght&fid=132213

FSX Acceleration USS Idaho Scenery Object
    https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib...ght&fid=133280

A. F. Scrub has done the NAF N3N in both wheeled and float versions for both Fs2004 and FSX. It's available frim the Flightsim.com library. Shessi has updated both of these models for Fs2004, may also work in FSX.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canary Floats.jpg   Canary Wheeled.jpg  

two points, since the available model(s) is always brought forward in this discussion..
    One - I am not a 3D modeler and cannot 'make my own' or 'do a better job'
    Two - that said - these are outdated by current standards and less than I would typically consider useful in FSX / P3D

So when I beat this particular dead horse can we please begin to assume that what I am talking about is a 'state of the art' model and not a retreaded FS2 airplane.

Furthermore - that since one was begun and seemed to have been taken relatively far along in development, and that interest in it was widespread, I have decided not to let go of my bloodless crusade to see something come of it. Even if it's just the sound of my own bitter keystrokes of anguish and chagrin.
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    ....I have decided not to let go of my bloodless crusade to see something come of it. Even if it's just the sound of my own bitter keystrokes of anguish and chagrin.
    You made my cold dead heart warm again with a good giggle.

Point taken, I'd forgotten you'd broached this subject before. Just trying to be helpful!

I, too, would very much like to see this model redone in FSX native and P3Dv4. A real shame that the MAAM N3N project has faltered. But we can still hope!

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    You made my cold dead heart warm again with a good giggle.
    I am happiest in providing this one humble service - if I can never point to one other worthwhile thing I have done in my lifetime at reckoning I'll be ok with this
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by llanning08 View Post
    Point taken, I'd forgotten you'd broached this subject before. Just trying to be helpful!

I, too, would very much like to see this model redone in FSX native and P3Dv4. A real shame that the MAAM N3N project has faltered. But we can still hope!
    You ARE being helpful - you said what I was trying to say much more succinctly than I did just now.
    enter..the Sandman

I downloaded both N3N wheels and float versions and installed in FSX-SE. The float version the wings are all black.I tried swapping the wing textures from the wheel version which show yellow to float version. No help. Anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks Robert

Robert,

I've got it loaded in FSX-SE and flying with no problems. No black texture on wings nor anywhere.

I'm running FSX-SE under Windows 7. I've got a rather plain vanilla version of FSX-SE, kinda right out of the box.

Flies nice and handles well on water landing & take off. Maneuvers well on the water.

I check'd the wing textures in both wheel and float versions with DXTbmp and it said both textures were 512x512 32 bit. So I'm at a loss why the wheel version works and float does not. My rig runs Win 10 Pro so I don't know.

I haven't as yet converted the .bmp to .dds and I'm also running 512x512 with no problems noted.

I usually convert to .dds if I decide I like the model.

My eyerolling should be audible from the Mariana's Trench to the outermoyst layers of the atmosphere.

It is indeed, I thought it was distant thunder. Have you consulted a doctor, Bjoern?
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

For a bit of constructivism:
    1. Create a petition
    2. Get as many users as possible to sign it
    3. Pass it on to developers known for renditions of woods, fabric and XXL manufacturing tolerances in mechanical parts.
    4. Hope that the "revenue vs effort" calculations are positive
    5. Wait and sit tight
    6. [Outlook hazy, try again]

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    It is indeed, I thought it was distant thunder. Have you consulted a doctor, Bjoern?
    Indeed I did. Severe case of BS allergy.

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    Furthermore - that since one was begun and seemed to have been taken relatively far along in development, and that interest in it was widespread, I have decided not to let go of my bloodless crusade to see something come of it. Even if it's just the sound of my own bitter keystrokes of anguish and chagrin.
    You talkin' to me ??....

Not much luck yet, heywoooody man. What is clear now is that it's no use to continue in Gmax. Constant crash. And it's not even what i want neither. I want it back in Max, where it started. Sofar no luck with FFG. I have the txt file via the Maxscript Listener alright but then the Grabber won't work... Need to talk to Manfred but he's on vacation atm.

Worry not, get there we will. Remember, anguish and chagrin leads to the dark side. Patience you must have, my young padawan.

Quote Originally Posted by llanning08 View Post
    A. F. Scrub has done the NAF N3N in both wheeled and float versions for both Fs2004 and FSX. It's available frim the Flightsim.com library. Shessi has updated both of these models for Fs2004, may also work in FSX.
    Jesus! How can I unsee this?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    You talkin' to me ??....

Not much luck yet, heywoooody man. What is clear now is that it's no use to continue in Gmax. Constant crash. And it's not even what i want neither. I want it back in Max, where it started. Sofar no luck with FFG. I have the txt file via the Maxscript Listener alright but then the Grabber won't work... Need to talk to Manfred but he's on vacation atm.

Worry not, get there we will. Remember, anguish and chagrin leads to the dark side. Patience you must have, my young padawan.

As a fellow modeler, I can help out with FFG. The first and most importantly thing not to do is export the materials/material editor as it will fail upon loading the script in 3DS Max. I don't export animations either as I tend to redo them after the conversion, so it's not a huge loss. Other then that, everything else should be smooth as silk.

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    My eyerolling should be audible from the Mariana's Trench to the outermoyst layers of the atmosphere.
    oh I heard it - just as I was typing the initial post, hadn't even submitted it yet..lol
    those outermoyst layers are the worstest
    enter..the Sandman

Javis!!! you could hear my eyes pop out of their sockets and snap back in again from the deepest part of the Marianna Trench to the outermoystest layers of the stratosphere !

WooHoot
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by euroastar350 View Post
    As a fellow modeler, I can help out with FFG. The first and most importantly thing not to do is export the materials/material editor as it will fail upon loading the script in 3DS Max. I don't export animations either as I tend to redo them after the conversion, so it's not a huge loss. Other then that, everything else should be smooth as silk.
    Thanks, fellow modeller ! I'll try one without exporting the editor. The export an sich works well even with anims included but takes about half an hour. The trouble is that clicking the Grabber icon with Gmax and FFG on the Taskbar doesn't produce any action at all. Clicking it without Gmax active it works fine ( can't find Listener window ). True though that my puter has become a bit unstable lately, might be a problem there as well.

Thanks again for the tip !

Tom (Hairyspin) offers his help as well !

cheers,
    jan

Hi Jan,
    Has there been any news from Dutch on the Sperry autopilot for the C47?

The aircraft is ,in my opinion,one of the best FSX aircraft, payware or freeware.My sincere gratitude for the model and the hours of enjoyment it has given me.

Cheers Chris

Thank you Jan - for taking up the N3N again

To all who have worked on it in the past, who are currently working on it, or whomever may yet work on the Navy N3N - Thank You !
    enter..the Sandman

Blog Entries
    For Javis and anyone else struggling with FFG.

I've been working with this for quite some time now. Very simple, stable and for me.
    I struggled for quite some time with Gmax in Win10, but have been able to stabilize the program enough for general usage.

This utility allows me to bring many Gmax projects into 3DStudio efficiently and with very few glitches.

http://nimcreations.com/project/3ds-...script-utility
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Members who have read this thread: 2