an N3N for FSX - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: an N3N for FSX

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I struggled for quite some time with Gmax in Win10, but have been able to stabilize the program enough for general usage.
    Could you share what settings you use? Thanks!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    Hi Jan,
    Has there been any news from Dutch on the Sperry autopilot for the C47?

The aircraft is ,in my opinion,one of the best FSX aircraft, payware or freeware.My sincere gratitude for the model and the hours of enjoyment it has given me.

Cheers Chris
    Thanks Chris!

No, didn't hear from Dutch for a long time but if i can get the Gmax/Max conversion going we'll have a Sperry III to replace the C-47 inop installation right away. It is kindly donated to us by Mike Cyul from Flight Replicas. He told me he had one left over from his DC-4. So if you have the Flight Replicas DC-4 you can start practising. How about that, huh !

Cheers,
    jan

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    To all who have worked on it in the past, who are currently working on it, or whomever may yet work on the Navy N3N - Thank You !
    You're welcome, heywooood. Absolutely!

( mind you, if it'll all workout eventually... gauges, flightdynamics, soundsuite.. you know ;-)

Cheers,
    jan

For Javis and anyone else struggling with FFG.

I've been working with this for quite some time now. Very simple, stable and for me.
    I struggled for quite some time with Gmax in Win10, but have been able to stabilize the program enough for general usage.

This utility allows me to bring many Gmax projects into 3DStudio efficiently and with very few glitches.

http://nimcreations.com/project/3ds-...script-utility
    Thanks very much, Gordon ! I'll look into it ! ( as soon as this damn heatwave is over.. )

Cheers,
    jan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Could you share what settings you use? Thanks!
    Let me know what specifics you want Tom and I'll put together some screen captures.

I struggled with Gmax, re-installing multiple times and trying various tweaks. The program came back to life when I deleted (with extreme prejudice) Windows Telemetry. I'm not sure if that was the fix, but that's what seemed to work.

Gmax (from FSX disks) install is vanilla on my default C Drive.
    3DStudio Max 2015 is default, including current updates.

Win10...everything disabled that is not necessary for dev work. All of the Bravo Sierra peripherals went in the round file...hopefully they will remain there. lol

ESET security, with permissions for Gmax and 3DS Max.

3DS-Max GMAX Bridge installation was done exactly as per their install instructions. Be sure to get the right scripts in the right files in Gmax and 3DS Max. It's pretty straight forward.

Arno's tools are up to date as well.
    The meshes and animations from the converted models do not seem to have any issues in MCX, although I convert to .mdl via the export menu in Max using Bill Leaming's shortcut tweaks for efficiency.

SDKs
    FSX
    P3Dv2
    P3Dv3
    P3Dv4

NVIDIA Drivers are current

Windows is current with a caveat.
    The last update really broke my system, so I'm currently working out of dual boot on my Win7 Drive.
    I just received the latest Win 10 Enterprise and will need to install a new HD. The system is mirrored, so I'll plug in the working setups as they exist now. Hopefully I'll be back up to full song in the next month or two.

3DS-Max Gmax Bridge

The program worked straight out of the box. I do get some anomalies with euler rotation on landing gear i.e. the K Invader nose wheel that rotates as it retracts. The baked euler from the original model loses it's "align to world" orientation when it comes through the bridge, so all of the axes behave a bit like a Rubik's gyroscope. lol
    I resolve that by keeping generic c-wheel and l/r-gear polys in my assets. I replace the originals that potentially "break" the imported bridge code and start fresh with the generic part. It's a bit of work, but nothing like building a new nose gear.

This is the utility that I used to convert the FSD Lockheed JetStar. That was a pretty complex model, and the "bridged" mesh came across quite nicely. Naturally, the main gear and nose wheel will probably need re-code and of course the various props, but I keep a generic set of prop dummies for these kind of conversions. All of the normal control surfaces came across with full animations, as did doors. VC may be another issue, but all of the basic axes and pivots are where they should be. I haven't checked animations yet.

I figure if something that complex comes through the utility relatively intact, I'm way ahead of the game.

I tried for a long time to get FFG to work, but this Gmax Bridge utility is much more intuitive, so it's my work horse now.

Let me know what else you might need Tom.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Brilliant news about the Sperry Jan and indeed I do have the DC4 by Mike of flight replicas.

This means we will have a fully working C47,FANTASTIC.

Thank you.

Cheers Chris

thanks Jan - yes the caveats - notwithstanding, good news is just all up in this here thread.

enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

N3N Updated

I have just downloaded the latest version of this that was done for FSX in 2015 by A.F. Scrub with many thanks. I am subscribed to this thread and will watch as new things come about. For all things N3N check out the site below if you haven't already.

https://notastearman.wordpress.com

Let me know what specifics you want Tom and I'll put together some screen captures.

I struggled with Gmax, re-installing multiple times and trying various tweaks. The program came back to life when I deleted (with extreme prejudice) Windows Telemetry. I'm not sure if that was the fix, but that's what seemed to work.

Gmax (from FSX disks) install is vanilla on my default C Drive.
    3DStudio Max 2015 is default, including current updates.

Win10...everything disabled that is not necessary for dev work. All of the Bravo Sierra peripherals went in the round file...hopefully they will remain there. lol

ESET security, with permissions for Gmax and 3DS Max.
    The only Windows tweak apart from that I know of is to fix the UVW Editor mouse zooming:- https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...5/#post-790221

I’ve used FFG successfully on several models and haven’t tried Bridge. But then, FFG is my own work, adapted from Bobo’s original, with Manfred’s work on the supporting utilities, so you might expect that...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Thanks very much, Gordon ! I'll look into it ! ( as soon as this damn heatwave is over.. )

Cheers,
    jan
    We are nearly there Jan...... But we must be getting old, as I just learned that in 1976 we had temperatures over 30 Celsius for 17 days in a row........ I can't recall I had a problem with these temperatures in those days!

Cheers and make sure you stay in the shade
    Huub

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    We are nearly there Jan...... But we must be getting old, as I just learned that in 1976 we had temperatures over 30 Celsius for 17 days in a row........ I can't recall I had a problem with these temperatures in those days!
    Me neither, Huub, and sure about getting old.. ;-) But today turned out a real oven, didn't it !

One good thing though.. It made me buy a doggy-pool.

It made me buy a doggy-pool
    OK, I know this is way OT but what sort of dog and does he like it? Our westie destroys airbeds, but I do wonder about getting him a pool for this weather.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Charter Member 2011
    OT again, we brought one of those solid plastic sand pits for kids and filled that for our 3 terriers, shallow enough to go halfway up em when they lay down, no complaints yet and we don't have to worry about it popping
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    OK, I know this is way OT but what sort of dog and does he like it? Our westie destroys airbeds, but I do wonder about getting him a pool for this weather.
    This is the doggy pool i bought, 1.60 diameter https://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Dog_Swimming_Pools Quite a fantastic thing, really. (60 euro)

Proofs again dogs are funny guys. First time i had to lure him in splashing around a football. He stayed in for half an hour and loved it. Thought i'd hit the jackpot. Next day, hottest day since 1944 (38 C. ) when i tried the football trick again it took a while before he found a way to get in (he doesn't dare to just jump in via the step i placed. He's a Welsh Gorgi and really loves water and splashing around in it but wants to keep feeling ground underneath his feet, doesn't dare to really swim). Once he was in he splashed around for one minute and then jumped out.... Later i put him in myself but again he jumped out after a minute or so.

Nope, sofar no jackpot or anything... might change though, hopefully.

The funny thing is that i used to have a small pond there at the exact place. When i got my dog he was 6 months old ( replacer ), he's 7 years now, and he couldn't stay away from it. It took him about 3 days to completely ruin my beloved pond by pulling out and destroying each and every plant. During these exercises he frequently fell into the pond but that didn't scare him off. Tried a fench around it but the only thing i got out of that was that the pond became leaky. That was the end of the pond...

Now that he's got his own pond he doesn't seem that interested in it anymore. Probabely because there's just nothing to destroy...

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    OT again, we brought one of those solid plastic sand pits for kids and filled that for our 3 terriers, shallow enough to go halfway up em when they lay down, no complaints yet and we don't have to worry about it popping
    Great idea, Stiz !

( if the doggy-pool turns out to really be a misser for my dog i might try that too, thanks for the tip ! ;-)

Too hot for outside

We don't leave ours outside except for potty trips because of the heat and humidity. We have a shepherd mix; terrier and dachshund and take extra care not to forget they're outside.

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    He is a handsome little fella !

this thread has literally gone to the dogs..lol
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Apologies for sending this thread in the wrong direction, and to people seeing there's a new post and opening the thread only to find it's about dogs rather than the N3N.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

"We have a couple of dams and most of the beach at Flinders if we need them! Woof"

Our remaining quartet of Beagles, the 'Aqua Hounds'.....................
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
    He is a handsome little fella !
    Thanks, he sure is and he knows it too, got some starlike airs... What can you do when you know you're a Welsh Corgi Pembroke Sable Fluff...

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    this thread has literally gone to the dogs..lol
    Hehe.. I've heard that the N3N was a dog to fly...

Apologies for sending this thread in the wrong direction.
    Was bound to happen with an avatar like that, wasn't it DH.. Besides, i noticed before there's lots of doglovers around here so it's not that bad.

Pilots, dogs, MG's, never a problem :

While we are still off topic I should include of my hound.

He is not really a hound and is not a water dog but will use a kiddy pool if it gets really hot.

Back on topic, you should really work on Paul at GAS, this aircraft seems like it would be right up his alley.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2805.jpg   IMG_2805.jpg  
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post

Now that painting reminds me of Lord Flashheart and his driver "Bob"!!

Priller
    Last edited by Priller; July 29th, 2018 at 08:18. Reason: added gif

Members who have read this thread: 1