Captain Sim / XLoad F/A-18D Improvements - FSX

Thread: Captain Sim / XLoad F/A-18D Improvements - FSX

Blog Entries

Captain Sim / XLoad F/A-18D Improvements - FSX

Hey all,

With the recent release of the FSXBA F/A-18C, there's been some chatter on bringing in the VC to FSX.

Here's what I've discovered so far:

VC transplant from the D model, requires no change to the eyepoint coordinates. Bring over the panel, swap out the interior .mdl and rename to the original.

While most systems (maybe all, haven't gone through all) appear to work, I get an FCS error related to the F18.dll With that .dll present, am not sure why - will dig further.

I have no stores configurator - still working on that.

Canopy texture is very light, almost invisible in FSX-A + DX10. I've tried substituting textures from the FSXBA, but not yet successful.

If you have any tips or mods that have worked on the D model, please feel free to share. I'll post my results as I get them.

cheers,

dl

With the recent release of the FSXBA F/A-18C, there's been some chatter on bringing in the VC to FSX.
    The FSXBA F/A-18C has an FCS system designed for FSX/P3D 32 bit, and another, different one for P3D 64 bit. And never the twain shall meet. As long as you have the correct ancillary files for it to function, it should work flawlessly. Naturally, that's for the F/A-18C it's self, with the correct Panel folder, aircraft.cfg and .air files, and Model folder.
    Other than that, it should work fine in another plane

Good luck. I will do what I can to help, but I won't mention the D Model to Jimi!
    THAT is a no-no, big time.

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Just remembered something (I'm not at the PC, so I hope I've got this right!).
    There's an entry in the aircraft.cfg that needs copying across from the FSX BA to the CS D.
    Without it you'll get the FCS fail message. I basically copied all the aircraft.cfg except contact points so the FD would be the same.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Dave - copying all the .cfg contents did the trick. No FCS error now.

What I now have is the refueling probe extends on gear down - sounds like there's an animation conflict somewhere.

And the canopy texture is still almost invisible. I'm starting to think that's a model, and not a texture issue.

Will keep tinkering.

dl

The two really critical sections are the [flight_tuning] , and, MOST important, [HornetFCS] . That contains the settings for the PID controllers in the FCS system.
    I'll wager that was what was holding you back, but hey, I may well be wrong.
    The [Electrical] section has to match too.
    The [Effects] and [SmokeSystem] are needed as well, to get the effects to show properly.
    Finally, the [flaps.X], [airplane_geometry], and [autopilot] sections, although the [autopilot] MAY be optional, I am not certain.

I guess the easiest is just copy the whole aircraft.cfg and .air files over, except the [Contact_Points]...

Glad you got it going, anyway
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 1