Wing42 Lockheed Vega 5 - Update to 0.04 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wing42 Lockheed Vega 5 - Update to 0.04

I'm aiming for the end of September, but I'm not sure if I can deliver on time, if not it'll be early next month.

Btw. next skins for next update (winers of the poll):

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

New shots from incoming update (and new 3D model!) :

Last edited by YoYo; September 19th, 2018 at 13:23.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    New shots from incoming update (and new 3D model!) :

OooooH Yeah! Now that's a beauty. Can't wait.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Looking forward to the update, even though I am enjoying the current version already a lot.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Found this reference to the aircraft above.

https://grandcentralairterminal.org/...624E/index.php

There's some really cool stuff coming with this update. The sound engine for all cockpit sounds, new inertia starter, a new 3d model for the TWA, an innovative engine simulation with functional spark advance, proper mixture controls, highly detailed carburetor simulation, etc.

I'm so excited to showcase all the features. Unfortunately, I still have many loose ends to tie up. I'm working my arse off to get everything done by the end of the month.

I have soooooooooooooooo much to talk about when it comes to the system simulation of this aircraft, but I don't find the time for it yet.

To give you an insight into my work, check out what my whiteboard looks like today:

I'm engineering the s**t out of this aircraft!

That whiteboard reminds me of my time back in college. I was looking for the graph of Fanno line flow on that board, lol.

Otmar,
    I really very like Your Approach to all subjects !

Otmar,
    I really very like Your Approach to all subjects !
    Thanks man! I'm glad you enjoy the work. I honestly wish I had more time to communicate more of what I'm doing, but I'm still desperately trying to keep a schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    That whiteboard reminds me of my time back in college. I was looking for the graph of Fanno line flow on that board, lol.
    A lot of what I do in regards to the Vega takes me back to uni too. But the approach is a bit more pragmatic than the problem solving in thermodynamic classes. I usually try to visualize the function of a component I'd like to simulate (in this case the carburetor and cylinders of the engine) and think of the different parameters and variables needed to describe the process. Next, I try to produce algorithms to sufficiently model the process. For example the simulation of the lubrication system is heavily leaning on the Darcy-Weissenbach formula. But in many cases I try to find ways to simplify the formulas in order to optimize the process. An example for that is that I assume the fuel-air mixture in the carburetor to behave like an ideal gas, ignoring the different compression rates of the mediums. All of this has to run in real-time after all!

Gosh, Fanno didn't even occur to me! But I recon that it would be too computation-heavy to be used in real-time for the engine simulation anyway!?

What I really enjoy about this process is the little details that can be put into the calculation model. For example, the NA-Y7B carburetor of the Vega is using what they called an "combined economizer and acceleration pump". In my simplified diagram that is the spring mechanism left of the float. The problem it solves is the following: the float of the carburetor is used to meter the fuel injected into the air stream of the intake manifold. The float in this barrel is connected to a needle valve, that means that when the fuel level in the barrel drops, the float sinks down, opening the needle valve letting in more fuel -> the float rises again, slowly closing the valve again. The float mechanism essentially keeps the fuel level constant in the barrel no matter how much fuel gets sucked through the discharge nozzle. Buuuuuut: when the pilot opens the throttle very swiftly, the fuel in the barrel will sink extremely fast, because it takes a few milliseconds for the float and valve to react to the new condition. This could lead to the engine being deprived off fuel, because the mixture gets too lean. The only solution for the pilot would've been to increase the throttle very slowly.

But here comes the clever engineers of Bendix Stromberg with their acceleration pump! With such a system installed (as it is in the NA-Y7B), the throttle is also linked up to a spring-loaded plunger that sits inside the barrel. When you increase the throttle quickly now, this plunger gets pushed down, discharging a large amount of fuel directly into the air stream. The spring on the other hand automatically resets the plunger over time, even while the throttle lever is still in the full-open position!

It's a really nifty mechanical system and I'm honestly in awe for the ingenuity of these mechanical engine components of the 20s!

The way the mixture is regulated is also very interesting, but I think I leave that part for the manual of the Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Vitus View Post
    Thanks man! I'm glad you enjoy the work. I honestly wish I had more time to communicate more of what I'm doing, but I'm still desperately trying to keep a schedule

A lot of what I do in regards to the Vega takes me back to uni too. But the approach is a bit more pragmatic than the problem solving in thermodynamic classes. I usually try to visualize the function of a component I'd like to simulate (in this case the carburetor and cylinders of the engine) and think of the different parameters and variables needed to describe the process. Next, I try to produce algorithms to sufficiently model the process. For example the simulation of the lubrication system is heavily leaning on the Darcy-Weissenbach formula. But in many cases I try to find ways to simplify the formulas in order to optimize the process. An example for that is that I assume the fuel-air mixture in the carburetor to behave like an ideal gas, ignoring the different compression rates of the mediums. All of this has to run in real-time after all!

Gosh, Fanno didn't even occur to me! But I recon that it would be too computation-heavy to be used in real-time for the engine simulation anyway!?

What I really enjoy about this process is the little details that can be put into the calculation model. For example, the NA-Y7B carburetor of the Vega is using what they called an "combined economizer and acceleration pump". In my simplified diagram that is the spring mechanism left of the float. The problem it solves is the following: the float of the carburetor is used to meter the fuel injected into the air stream of the intake manifold. The float in this barrel is connected to a needle valve, that means that when the fuel level in the barrel drops, the float sinks down, opening the needle valve letting in more fuel -> the float rises again, slowly closing the valve again. The float mechanism essentially keeps the fuel level constant in the barrel no matter how much fuel gets sucked through the discharge nozzle. Buuuuuut: when the pilot opens the throttle very swiftly, the fuel in the barrel will sink extremely fast, because it takes a few milliseconds for the float and valve to react to the new condition. This could lead to the engine being deprived off fuel, because the mixture gets too lean. The only solution for the pilot would've been to increase the throttle very slowly.

But here comes the clever engineers of Bendix Stromberg with their acceleration pump! With such a system installed (as it is in the NA-Y7B), the throttle is also linked up to a spring-loaded plunger that sits inside the barrel. When you increase the throttle quickly now, this plunger gets pushed down, discharging a large amount of fuel directly into the air stream. The spring on the other hand automatically resets the plunger over time, even while the throttle lever is still in the full-open position!

It's a really nifty mechanical system and I'm honestly in awe for the ingenuity of these mechanical engine components of the 20s!

The way the mixture is regulated is also very interesting, but I think I leave that part for the manual of the Vega
    Professional work, but what would I actually experience in the sim with these fine engine simulation nuances? -d

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Professional work, but what would I actually experience in the sim with these fine engine simulation nuances? -d
    Fair question. My goal is for the Vega to become a study-level aircraft. Simulating individual components to the extend that I do, allows me to to generate more realistic behaviors. I.e. Failures of components, power losses due to maltreatment or exterior conditions, etc. Making it a more immersive and realistic experience.

This is an ambitious and impressive project. I took her out for a brief flight this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Had a minor head-scratching moment when the starter motor blew, then lo and behold the fuse had also melted and needed to be replaced. First time that I've ever functionally interacted with a fuse on a simulated aircraft, and it was a natural (intuitive) progression in the problem solving chain.

Such a shame to see the wing42 site now.

It looks like something has happened to the product or rather to Otmar the owner and developer of the Vega.

Nothing has been heard since the middle of September and the site is being spammed by many spammers.

It is really very sad.

Otmar if you need any help ask here on SOH,I am sure there are many of us who could help.

Cheers Chris

The site seems to be working ok. You can still place an order.

-d

Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    Such a shame to see the wing42 site now.
    The site is ok, the problem is the Forum (attacked by boots) and with contact with author.
    Health issues maybe? I hope he will back.

Members who have read this thread: 1