Viscount - Legends of Flight
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viscount - Legends of Flight

Viscount - Legends of Flight

JustFlight "propose" this aircraft at half price in July (less than 10 €). I am tempted...

It is an FSX model (like the JF DC-6b - Legends of Flight, which works nicely under P3D V4)).

Did someone tested it under P3D V4 ? Are there some 32bits gauge which will not work under P3D V4 (except the usual sound gauge quite easy to substitue..)

Thanks for your feedback.

Gérard

I just saw that ad also and am interested, more interested about the comet than the viscount, but both have some interest.

I am not certain about either but the Viscount, being an Aeroplane heaven design I expect it would.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

I purchased the Viscount for FSX way back when, but I hadn't tried moving it to P3Dv4 yet. I just copied and pasted the
    SimObject folder over, and it works ok. In my own opinion, the plane itself is ok, but the textures inside and out are starting
    to show it's age. If you want an idea, try the default P3Dv4 Lockheed Constellation, also by Just Flight from around the same time.

There are some strange artifacts on a couple of the warning lights in the vc, little black lines moving over the surface of the
    lights, making them look like they're flashing on and off when they're not. The outside of the plane also has a strange artifact
    where light and shadow meet: in certain light at certain angles, there's a series of black dots running along the boundary between
    the light and the dark. But this might just be my install. The turbine sound set could also be very much improved, but again just
    my opinion.

I certainly have newer and better in the hangar. Still, I might take the Viscount out for a few runs again. I like the way it handles,
    a nice steady feel, especially in the turns.

- RobM

As far i can say after an short testflight, the comet works fine and looks marvelous in P3Dv4 .

unfortunately I can not say anything about the viscount.

Best regards
    Ulrich

I like that last shot!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

I ended up getting the Comet yesterday and gave it a try. For the most part it works well, but it has in it the default popup 737 autopilot in it and when I tried using its auto-throttle P3D did a CTD twice.

After that I tried a transatlantic flight (without the auto-throttle) and made it to KBOS (did you know that in P3D4 autopilot works at x64!) But the sim was acting really weird when I landed, some strange screen flicker and only around 4-5fps. Not sure if it was flying at x64 or something else but I am not willing to certify it P3D4 compatible yet.

I will try some more normal flights over the weekend.
    Joe Cusick

I had another CTD with the comet, and I was not even using the autopilot, just throttling up for takeoff. I tried the same flight with the default 737 to make sure there was not anything wrong with my setup and it was fine.

So at this time I am going to have to advise that the JF Comet is NOT V4 ready.
    Joe Cusick

Thanks for your feedback.

I bought last time the JF DC6-B which works decently, considering its age

But I must admit that she is taking dust in my hangar.
    I think I will save for more recent and detailed models...

Gérard

I don't want to hijack Gérard's post . . .
    sorry Gérard
    but
    "So at this time I am going to have to advise that the JF Comet is NOT V4 ready"
    I can not confirm.
    The JF Comet works very well without any problems or any CTD's in my P3Dv4 sim.
    Did you have perhaps copied some 32bit gauges to your gauges folder, from your FSX or 32bit P3D sim?

I just tried installing the Comet in V4.3. Appeared on my screen and looked beautiful, but the sim CTD soon thereafter. I uninstalled it until perhaps someone can help me figure out why it is CTD? Thanks., NC

UPDATE: I ran the JF tool in the Comet's folder for disabling the Smoke Effect. All works fine now!

Apologies to Gérard for hijacking his post.

I tried Navy Chief's idea of turning of the Comets smoke effect. did a couple tests and things looked promising. So I tried a recorded VA flight, EGLL to LFPB. Things were going well until after landing as I was about to turn off the runway, I waschanging view and then CTD.

I did check the gauges, only gau file I could find is the Radar.gau file in the panel folder, and had already I removed it.

At this point I think I am don't know what else to do and am going to have to stand by my 'Not Compatible' opinion.
    Joe Cusick

Icon26

"Just" a thought, has anyone asked on the J/F forums?

I've just purchased the Comet. It appears in the vehicle list of P3D but when I try to use the aircraft in the sim I can only see the nav lights. Aircraft is invisible.

I have copy the two Comet folders from the FSX airplane folder and paste it to the P3Dv4 airplane folder.
    Copy and paste the JustFlight folder from FSX into P3Dv4 and
    Copy and paste the necessary

fx_fueldump.fx
    fx_lightObsRedFlash60.fx
    fx_WT_DH106_smoke.fx

FSX effect files into P3Dv4 Effect folder
    and voila

Comet looks terrific in PD3v4.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I tried Navy Chief's idea of turning of the Comets smoke effect. did a couple tests and things looked promising. So I tried a recorded VA flight, EGLL to LFPB. Things were going well until after landing as I was about to turn off the runway, I was changing view and then CTD.

At this point I think I am don't know what else to do and am going to have to stand by my 'Not Compatible' opinion.
    Well I tried two more flights this morning and success. I suspect that last CTD was just a fluke and will withdraw my 'Not Compatible' opinion, as long as you turn off the smoke.

BTW, has anybody tried the Viscount?
    Joe Cusick

Yes the Viscount works alright with my P3Dv4.3. As to the smoke on the comet as a kid I cannot remember the Comet being that smokey. In fact we always reckoned only the American engines chucked out that amount of smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Postbaer61 View Post
    I have copy the two Comet folders from the FSX airplane folder and paste it to the P3Dv4 airplane folder.
    Copy and paste the JustFlight folder from FSX into P3Dv4 and
    Copy and paste the necessary

fx_fueldump.fx
    fx_lightObsRedFlash60.fx
    fx_WT_DH106_smoke.fx

FSX effect files into P3Dv4 Effect folder
    and voila

Ok, you have me confused. I have the Just Flight Comet installed in P3DV4.3. I have the two Just Flight Comet folders in the Simobjects folder, plus the effects files you list are in my Effects folder. So what did you do differently? If I turn on the smoke, it crashes to desktop. NC

Nothing different, NC. I'm honest, i have no clue, what caused the CTD's.
    I've checked that yesterday again and again.Iv'e activate and deactivated
    the smoke effect,lights on and off, but no problems.
    Hope you can find the culprit,it would be too bad, the comet is a really beauty
    in P3Dv4.

btw
    i added some
    vc lights
    light.12=4, 51.70, -1.35, 0.50, fx_vclight
    light.13=4, 51.70, 1.35, 0.50, fx_vclight
    light.14=4, 50.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_vclight
    light.15=4, 51.00, 0.00, 1.70, fx_vclight
    light.16=4, 46.30, 1.70, 1.40, fx_vclight
    light.17=4, 46.00, -1.70, 1.10, fx_vclight
    or cabinlights
    light.12=10, 51.70, -1.35, 0.50, fx_vclight
    light.13=10, 51.70, 1.35, 0.50, fx_vclight
    light.14=10, 50.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_vclight
    light.15=10, 51.00, 0.00, 1.70, fx_vclight
    light.16=10, 46.30, 1.70, 1.40, fx_vclight
    light.17=10, 46.00, -1.70, 1.10, fx_vclight

Ulrich

As long as you delete the smoke effects it flies in P3D4.3 without ANY problems.
    I use a backup for all my aircraft including effects and gauges, mainly to keep additional repaints and .cfg details in order, but so I can just install a package straight into any sim variation.
    Viscount next.

The results speak for them selves:

No smoke, it was too dense anyway.
    QED
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Viscount transplanted without any problems as well.
    Shame it never received some attention from the repainters.
    Showing it's age a tad but I'd happily stump up some $$$ for a 'new' version.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Marvelous shots,
    and you are right, the smoke isn't really needed,
    or could changed with an alternate lighter smoke effect.
    Also the Viscount looks not to bad.

Would you mind to show how the VC look ?

I am still hesitating, when I see your screen shoots of the Viscount..

Thanks - Gérard

Where can i find the Caravellle for $10?
    Deleted my JF Newsletters.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by big-mike View Post
    Where can i find the Caravelle for $10?
    Deleted my JF Newsletters.
    Mike
    Very good question. JF shows there Caravelle as still 'In Development', so its going to be some time before its available, especially for 10$. I don't know of anyone else who has a Caravelle thats V4 compatible.
    Joe Cusick

Members who have read this thread: 1