Scenery Overload

Thread: Scenery Overload

Scenery Overload

Hi

I wondered if someone in the know might be able to clarify something for me about how X plane 11 works with regard to addon scenery in the Custom Scenery folder...

When you set up a flight does it load everything in that folder or just what is needed for the specific scenery you selected. Something I read suggested to me the former but that seems a bit of an inefficient way of doing things... meaning your going to reach a capacity for add on scenery quite quickly... which is what I think has happened.

I'd reached the point where I'd got 4 or 5 detailed airfields in the custom scenery folder, and that of course means you need quite a few of the Librarys installed in there and I had a few of the SimHeaven enhancement packages. Then I started to find when I tried to load a flight at say Gatwick or Stansted (both default versions) that the SIM would hang and run out of memory. I've reverted back to just the default custom scenery content bar one addon... a MisterX airfield (Catalina) and its associated library and the one HD mesh tile associated with it. All works fine now and to be fair it all looks ok... but I'm a bit wary of downloading and installing any more detailed scenery add ons for it and inclined to stick with just those gateway 3D airports included... the choice of which is still a bit limited.

My Laptop is an Aspire V17 Nitro which has a NVIDIA GTX960M Card and I think Laptop has 8 GB of RAM. Thanks.

Matt

If the simulator runs out of memory, increase Windows' page file size. I've set mine to 24 GB to accustom any memory demands that XP might have.
    The weird thing about XP is that it reserves a huge chunk of memory but ever actually only uses a small part of it. But when it runs out of available space - boom - OOM.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wind...page+file+size

Thanks Bjoern... It says I can go up to 32 Gb so I'll give that a try and see if it helps!

Matt

AFAIK, X-Plane only loads scenery add-ons for the immediate area of your take-off location. As you fly, other add-on files are loaded as required.

My custom scenery folder is 120 GB. I have never had X Plane 11 "run out of memory". I didn't think it was possible. I'm running an I-5 desktop with 16 gb of ram though, besides always increasing my page file size.
    Sue

Thanks for Info. Not sure why it happened in my case but Ive increased the virtual memory size and I will be a bit slower about adding new content and hopefully all will be well..

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by jschall View Post
    AFAIK, X-Plane only loads scenery add-ons for the immediate area of your take-off location. As you fly, other add-on files are loaded as required.
    Normally, the "ring" of tiles around you is also (pre)loaded. There's a way to increase it, but that'll require even more virtual memory.

Members who have read this thread: 0