Chart VORTAC spec explanation request

Thread: Chart VORTAC spec explanation request

Chart VORTAC spec explanation request

Hello,

On one of the charts I pulled recently, it shows a L and H value under the VORTAC specs.

I have searched all over the place, and have not been able to find an explanation of the meaning of these indicators.

The VORTAC is showing on the KORD O'Hare EIGHT DEPARTURE chart.

Can anyone shine a light on this for me, please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VORTAC (2)_LI.jpg  
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

It is saying you can see the VORTAC on the Low Altitude (Victor Airways) L-28, and High Altitude H-5 and H-10 (Jet Route) IFR airways charts. The "Channel" is used by the military for UHF TACAN. TACAN looks and acts like a VOR with DME, but you dial in a channel vice a frequency. TACAN in the UHF spectrum allows independent military stations where necessary - it is also relatively "mobile" and can be set up at expeditionary locations quickly if needed. A VORTAC means it is a co-located VOR and TACAN station.

Those numbers refer to the NOS enroute charts the GIJ VOR is found: Low Chart 28 or High Charts 5 or 10. Head over to www.skyvector.com and search for the GIJ VOR. At the top right corner of the map, you'll see several different chart selections, including Enroute H-10, Enroute H-5, and Enroute L-28.

There's lots of NOS enroute charts covering the United States (36 Low and 12 High, IIRC). Referencing the chart number on the SID makes it easier for a pilot to find the correct enroute chart.

[Edit: Whoops! Don't know why Mike71s post didn't show up for me until after I posted. Oh well. Sorry for the repeat!]
    Last edited by nagpaw; July 12th, 2018 at 14:06. Reason: Added note about dual post.
    America never stopped being great.

Quote Originally Posted by nagpaw View Post
    Those numbers refer to the NOS enroute charts the GIJ VOR is found: Low Chart 28 or High Charts 5 or 10. Head over to www.skyvector.com and search for the GIJ VOR. At the top right corner of the map, you'll see several different chart selections, including Enroute H-10, Enroute H-5, and Enroute L-28.

There's lots of NOS enroute charts covering the United States (36 Low and 12 High, IIRC). Referencing the chart number on the SID makes it easier for a pilot to find the correct enroute chart.

[Edit: Whoops! Don't know why Mike71s post didn't show up for me until after I posted. Oh well. Sorry for the repeat!]
    No problem - and I completely agree with your input regarding skyvector -a fantastic resource and excellent way to plan a flight. However, many advanced features are kind of a hidden secret, though I have not really read through all the supporting forum material

There's quite a few things I learned about skyvector by reading their documentation. It's really quite useful!

A long time back I figured out a way to use skyvector as sort of a "plotting board" for long, overwater flights. With only the website and my trusty old Jeppesen CR-5 or E6B, I was able to routinely navigate to far off islands in the Pacific in my Super Connie. That was really fun, since I like a good mental exercise every now and then!
    America never stopped being great.

MIke71 and nagpaw,

Thank you both very much for your info.

And nagpaw, no need to say sorry, It is highly appreciated when people are willing to share their knowledge. It is what makes this community so special.

I use Skyvector,com for most of my flights, but never took the time to read their documentation.

I did look everywhere I knew for the answer to my original question, and just had no luck.
    For one, I will certainly be spending some time reading the documentation on Skyvector.com.

I still use my trusted E6B when flying old props, like the graceful DC-2 and DC-3.

Again, thank you both for your reply.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Members who have read this thread: 0