Took the plunge!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took the plunge!

Took the plunge!

Got my 8 dvd's today, sure glad I didn't have to dl that whole package,lol Going to keep it basic for a while, until I get a handle on what's going on. Want to see the basic look of the sim, before I decide if I want to go into the higher detail mesh and textures, my machine passed the requirements by a lot, so should run it just fine, depending on the settings I use. I know of a lot of plugin's that are suggested to use, but want to get my feet wet first, before I dive into all that stuff.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the DARK SIDE! X-Plane is an awesome 64 bit platform! Enjoy at your leisure.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Thanks, looking forward to getting into it!!

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    ​Also took the plunge today. Now to do some reading to get up to speed.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Blog Entries
    Welcome AussieMan...lots of free world HD Scenery, aircraft, traffic, etc., I recommend a trip to x-plane.org as well.
    Ted

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    You will be pleasantly surprised by the quality of freeware out there. Especially try Mr. X sceneries.

One of the things I enjoy about x plane 11 is I spend more time flying than waiting for things to load... a draw back I find with FSX. I keep finding freeware jems on xplane org... like a PBY Catalina that was payware but is now freeware... wonderful and a delight to fly... and the Aeroworx conversion of manfreds DC-3 is superb too.

Matt

Also plunged today, now trying to get my head around all the new key presses. S and A don't do the views AAargh

Thanks for all the above guides TX.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the real DARKSIDE...you'll grow to love it soon Naismith...
    Ted

My goodness, X-Plane is really gaining momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Also plunged today, now trying to get my head around all the new key presses. S and A don't do the views AAargh
    You'll love X-Plane's handling of views. User configurable quick views, free camera, smooth transitions...

A year from now, after the 'Nervous Nelly' developers are on board, this will be the ONE.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I am not a “fanboy” of any sim. I still fly FSX and P3D and love them along with XP 11. I do find I’m flying XP much more though.

my one hope, however, is that when the big devs come on board, the prices don’t go through the roof as has happened with FSX/P3D.

So much new stuff to research and learn about . Just assigning buttons for my VKB j/s was a challenge.

I can see I am going to have to do some HD rearranging of files and maybe even resort to a Format and reinstall W10 64.

1) Anyone know Laminar's attitude to the amount of re-installs permitted before falling foul of a restriction?

2) Getting my Saitek panels (Radio, Multi, Switch) how to? Is that a further payout?
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Improvements to ATC and AI will be the make-or-break point for XP. In that regard, it still has a long way to go to become "the one".

There is no limit regarding the amount of reinstalls. The DVD version will occasionally check for the DVD and will tell the user so, while the digital download will check for the license file. So there's absolutely no hassle whatsoever. Just move the X-Plane folder around on your PCs as you desire.
    I've got XP running from a 512 GB USB 3 SSD so I can use it on multiple PCs without much hassle.

Hardware connections can be achieved with XPUIPC. (Google may help on that subject.)

As mentioned by others... Welcome to the "not so dark anymore" side.

Since I took the plunge to X-Plane 11 (from release date) I found myself veering away from FSX. By now I would say I spend my time flying:
    X-Plane 60%
    P3Dv4 25%
    FSX 15%

But as Bjoern mentioned, there are a few areas that certainly are in need of some tlc, including multiplayer. It would be nice to see everyone's airplane in the correct livery.

The default scenery is already of a high standard, and there is so much freeware scenery out there that is of payware quality.
    Also have a look at x-plane.org for great aircraft.

Yes, X-Plane is certainly on the right track to become one of the best flight simulator platforms.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    As mentioned by others... Welcome to the "not so dark anymore" side.

Since I took the plunge to X-Plane 11 (from release date) I found myself veering away from FSX. By now I would say I spend my time flying:
    X-Plane 60%
    P3Dv4 25%
    FSX 15%

But as Bjoern mentioned, there are a few areas that certainly are in need of some tlc, including multiplayer. It would be nice to see everyone's airplane in the correct livery.

The default scenery is already of a high standard, and there is so much freeware scenery out there that is of payware quality.
    Also have a look at x-plane.org for great aircraft.

Yes, X-Plane is certainly on the right track to become one of the best flight simulator platforms.
    I agree...really enjoying it more and more!
    Ted

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    A lot less time tinkering with settings and more time flying. With few exceptions, freeware is payware quality. X-plane .org has a rating system and reviews by users.

also love how easy it is to add aircraft and sceneries.

you can set your keys to mimic fsx.

I didn't think I would be saying this, I really didn't, but I have now installed X-Plane 11. It's not that I ever had an issue with X-Plane at all. Quite the opposite, I had been ready to pull the trigger for months, or even years. The only things that have held me back are; the lack of HDD space I have, even with 4 internal HDDs and multiple external HDDs, and the fact that I already had 8 flight simulators installed. Well, now I have 9 .

I actually haven't used it much yet, but I am already impressed with the flight dynamics of the default aircraft. I have also started collecting addons, much to my chagrin. I told myself I would keep it default for quite a while, and actually it still is, apart from some sceneries installed for testing purposes (one of the main reasons I bought the sim). I have been downloading quite a few addons though. I am definitely not going to go as crazy as I have with FSX/P3D addons. So far I have just downloaded a few highly recommended freeware aircraft, a few Mister X sceneries, and tonight I actually spent too much money on the Flight Factor A320, because it was $80 USD instead of $89 USD and I had been looking at it and reading about it. With one livery pack and in AUD dollars it was $126!

That will be all I purchase for a long time. I promise myself .

As I am typing I have just started downloading a few XP11 sceneries by LH Simulations. I really hope they release an X-Plane 11 version of LHBP, as it's one of my favourite airports for FSX/P3D.

Cheers,
    Last edited by txnetcop; September 30th, 2018 at 04:15.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the dark side guys great to see you here..
    Word of advice to help you all enjoy it more..
    X-Plane uses all three axis's and has trim tabs for each axis ( elevator, rudder and aileron ). Rudder isnt that important, BUT, beecause wind patterns are modeled, you'll want to set up an axis or a button for Aileron trim. This is also important if you plane has more weight on one side than the other. Fighting a constant bank is annoying in ways you cannot percieve, especially when your joystick is freshly calibrated. So take the time to adjust your aileron trim and make it a mindless task like elevator trim and youll get a lot more out of the sim..
    There is alzso a little program called World 2 XP which as I believe takes scenery from fsx or other sources and imports it into X-plane..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    I didn't think I would be saying this, I really didn't, but I have now installed X-Plane 11. It's not that I ever had an issue with X-Plane at all. Quite the opposite, I had been ready to pull the trigger for months, or even years. The only things that have held me back are; the lack of HDD space I have, even with 4 internal HDDs and multiple external HDDs, and the fact that I already had 8 flight simulators installed. Well, now I have 9 .

I actually haven't used it much yet, but I am already impressed with the flight dynamics of the default aircraft. I have also started collecting addons, much to my chagrin. I told myself I would keep it default for quite a while, and actually it still is, apart from some sceneries installed for testing purposes (one of the main reasons I bought the sim). I have been downloading quite a few addons though. I am definitely not going to go as crazy as I have with FSX/P3D addons. So far I have just downloaded a few highly recommended freeware aircraft, a few Mister X sceneries, and tonight I actually spent too much money on the Flight Factor A320, because it was $80 USD instead of $89 USD and I had been looking at it and reading about it. With one livery pack and in AUD dollars it was $126!

That will be all I purchase for a long time. I promise myself .

As I am typing I have just started downloading a few XP11 sceneries by LH Simulations. I really hope they release an X-Plane 11 version of LHBP, as it's one of my favourite airports for FSX/P3D.

Cheers,
    If you cant find LHBP in XPlane, and cant find it at the org or org store, there is still the possibility that you can find it on the scenery gateway. You may have to run it through world editor ( WED ) and update the version number or even get involved and update it yourself, but its likely there somewhere..

Thanks for the helpful info Pam .

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I've fallen in love with X-Plane 11 also. My new passion for X-Plane started with 10. On this old box I have XP 10 looking like XP 11, but it doesn't setup as easy as 11 and does have some severe limitations. I have built systems for others that wanted to fly XP11 and have really enjoyed the experience of flying in it on their new system. So hopefully by Christmas I will build a new system for me and my new love...the default aircraft are amazing...of course I will still fly FSX it was my first love. LOL
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    There is alzso a little program called World 2 XP which as I believe takes scenery from fsx or other sources and imports it into X-plane..
    Nope. W2XP converts orthophotos and/or OSM data for use in XP.

FS2XPlane converts sceneries.

Blog Entries
    I've yet to have a machine that can run anything at max settings ( except fsx finally ) so, I'm always fiddling with my x-plane. When i made my plans to revamp my computer with all the hardware upgrades it was because i was building airplanes again but couldnt do video's on this lack luster little I5 work alike ( ryzen 5 ) Hopefully, come february i'll have something put together that does what i want it to do, even though i'm no longer making flight models.

I think its a strange but totally normal phenomena that must be experienced by others, when i watch videos or look at pics on the web and become enamored by what i see and judge it as better than what i have. Therein lies the rub. I can easily imagine a dual cpu machine running two top end ryzens with four 1080s lashed together and 64 gigs of ram running at 3200 mhz on a gsync monitor the size of my wall. Truth told, I probably still wouldnt be satisfied. Truth told, I probably still wouldnt be satisfied. After all, I became enamored with a picture; a single frame in a video, or some other small feature that i most likely have already duplicated a hundred times over, and never paid attention too..

I still see FSX and P3D as great simulators, but they are like life on training wheels for me; a journey on rails. X-Plane isnt so predictable. I like the parts of X-plane that ive run into that reflect reality to such a high degree, like needing aileron trim and changing wind conditions, and i'm hoping that the interface on XP-11 with its ease of use, attracts more people too the sim and more quality developers. It would be nice to join a VA that supported X-Plane, but i havent found any yet. We still have so far to go..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Nope. W2XP converts orthophotos and/or OSM data for use in XP.

FS2XPlane converts sceneries.
    Ahhh.. Thanks Bjoern. I always seem to get them confused.

Members who have read this thread: 0