MaskRider

Thread: MaskRider

MaskRider

Hey Maskrider, hope you are doing well and are not being affected by the fires in your neck of the woods. It's a shame to see all the damage on the news due to the fires and was just worried knowing you live in the area. Hope all is well with you.

msfossey

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    msfossey ,

That's darn nice of you to ask. Thanks

Yes, it has been a rather hairy few days. The fire, dubbed the "West" fire (because it started at the intersection of West Willows Road and Alpine Blvd) got to within just under a mile from my place. We were ordered to evacuate. Thankfully our wonderful firefighters were able to get a handle on it and put a stop to it but not before it burned down around 37 homes and numerous outbuilding and such. I have lived here for 30 years and seen many fires come and go through this area but this was the first one that ever threatened the "town" itself. It started at the east end of town and burned in a WSW direction, threatening to to burn a ring right around the town- which is only about 2 1/2 miles long. I live at the west end of town proper. I am back in my home again, none the worse for wear. But many are not so lucky. Its a damn shame. Here is a map of the fire that I sent to my relatives showing the situation:

Things are pretty much back to normal now. All evacuation orders and warnings are rescinded. Our particular evacuation order was rescinded around 11AM on the 7th. All roads are open and the fire is 100% contained as of late last night. 505 acres burned. The local library is serving at the clearing house for contacting Federal and State disaster services personnel and several shelters have been set up to help with those made homeless.

Thanks again for your concern.

MR

PS It was damned scary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails west-fire-map-labeled.jpg  

wow that is scary indeed. I grew up on the west coast of USA in Calfironia where big fires are part of life and none of them are fun to see or go thru. I am very glad you are ok. thanks for the update.!!!

Chris
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

Glad to hear you are ok, sorry that so many have not been so fortunate. I live were the cactus grow tall in the "dry heat" and we have our share of fires to deal with. I pass by your town every summer on our way to San Diego and thought of you while watching the fires on the news. Best of luck to you and your community. Stay strong my friend.

msfossey

Icon22 Reply...

Msfossey,

Thank you for taking the time to check in on the safety of other members, that's wonderful and very much appreciated.

MaskRider,

Great to hear that you are intact, I am sorry your neighbors have been affected by this; I hope you all can close ranks and take care of each other.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    I hope you all can close ranks and take care of each other.
    Absolutely. Always. Alpine is still a small town. In a funny little way people here are very loyal to and considerate of each other. We rub shoulders with each other everyday. What affects some of us affects us all. Its a nice place to live- wildfires or no.

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Icon22

Thanks to all for the kind words of support. Much appreciated!

Chris
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Members who have read this thread: 0