Bump maps and textures

Thread: Bump maps and textures

Hybrid View

Bump maps and textures

1. If I was able to make a bump map using Gimp, I assume I would base it on the dds textures files. Once I had achieved that, what would I do with the bump map? Need a tutorial on that.

2. Textures. I assume making a 2018 texture is not just a question of changing the texture from 1024 to 2048?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

No one?

Once you have a file in the proper Bump Map Format you need to save it with the .+nm suffix, and place it in the aircraft's texture folder (it will actually work from anywhere, but this keeps it organized).
    For example:
    n1k2RS_1.dds gets n1k2RS_1.+nm.dds added.

If you draw a new texture if can be any square size multiple starting from 2. 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, etc. When you save the bitmap as a dds there are a number of different dds compressed and uncompressed formats, with and without LOD textures to choose from. If you don't have it automatically generate the LODs for you the DDS will remain square, otherwise it will become a 2x1 rectangle. If the bitmap as boundaries with sharp contrasts you may notice ugly stair-step color artifacts with the compressed file modes in the sizes below 2048.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I'll have a go!

OK I am having trouble with the bump mapping as can be seen from my thread on the gimp forum here

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-bu...d=9311#pid9311

One guy insists I need the original layered texture files or make new ones myself (not happening or ? necessary)
    The other guy rich2005 is more helpful, but obiously I am doing something wrong. For a start I don't seem to be able to overlay one layer on another although I can merge them.

Any help or step by step instruction would be appreciated. Also I don'r see how I can use the same bump map with all the (same) aircraft unless I am meant to just save a file which is texture non specific.

well, the final result depends hows the current final texture skin. GIMP, Paint.NET, PhotoShop or whatelse bitmap editor or any special tool with bump/normal map procedures just makes the paint areas bumpy from the original texture, so:

if you have just the end-user skin with various camouflage patterns, decals, markings etc. they would become bumpy too. in another words, you will need to remove (retouche) such areas from the skin first and then generate the bump/normal map. or you can edit the generated bump/normal map later and retouche the problematic areas there.

if you have a layered texture source, you can save a lot time / to avoid of the retouche edits

Members who have read this thread: 1