Legacy FSX models in P3Dv4

Thread: Legacy FSX models in P3Dv4

Legacy FSX models in P3Dv4

I can't get many of my old (legacy/freeware) FSX aircraft to work in P3Dv4.3 - though I could have sworn most of them worked in P3Dv3 and many in P3Dv4.1.

Am I right in thinking that the later versions of P3D require an *interior* mdl file along with the usual base (exterior) one?

I've tried "fooling" P3D by copying over some other interior mdl and editing the .cfg file accordingly - but no go.

I'm OK on repainting, but the techie side of aircraft *modelling* is beyond me. I've dabbled with ModelConverter to tweak some aircraft that already worked, but that's about as far as my knowledge goes.

Would any modeller out there care to shed some light on this? I'm hoping there's some sort of a quick fix, but I think I probably "stuffed"

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40-4.69GHz | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia RTX2060 8GB | Win10 2004 64-bit 24Gb RAM

To work in P3dv4 they need to be FSX or P3d native. By the sounds of it, the models you're trying are actually FS9 portovers.
    FSx/P3d models do have separate interior and exterior models, but the interior isn't a requirement for it to work in the sim, you just won't see a VC!
    Simple way to check a model is to right-click the mdl, and select "open with.." then choose "notepad". Near the start of the file you'll see "MDL8MDLH" if it's a FS9 model, or "MDLXMDLH" for a FSX native model, and "PV20MDLH" if it's P3d native.

There's no "quick fix". The model would need re-compiling as FSX or P3d native.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    To work in P3dv4 they need to be FSX or P3d native. By the sounds of it, the models you're trying are actually FS9 portovers.
    FSx/P3d models do have separate interior and exterior models, but the interior isn't a requirement for it to work in the sim, you just won't see a VC!
    Simple way to check a model is to right-click the mdl, and select "open with.." then choose "notepad". Near the start of the file you'll see "MDL8MDLH" if it's a FS9 model, or "MDLXMDLH" for a FSX native model, and "PV20MDLH" if it's P3d native.

There's no "quick fix". The model would need re-compiling as FSX or P3d native.
    Thanks, Dave - that's confirmed my worst fears .

Yes - we're talking about pretty ancient stuff - including FS9 portovers. The weird thing is that I did have some of these working in P3Dv3. Maybe the model has to be at least FSX native - whether or not it includes a VC model - or P3Dv4.2+ is stricter on model compatibility.

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40-4.69GHz | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia RTX2060 8GB | Win10 2004 64-bit 24Gb RAM

Yes, v3 still had FS9 format support, but that was dropped in v4.

Thanks again, Dave - now it all makes sense!

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020

V3 was really the best simulation for the most "recent" FS9 models.
    It was displaying them perfectly, with external and internal shadows, and no "props behind the clouds" effect or similar problems with canopies or anything like that.
    The one and only limitation was the fact that 2D buttons were not clickable anymore. But all 3D buttons/levers were still clickable, so a lot of FS9 planes were still perfectly flyable in P3Dv3, in a much better-looking environment than FS9.

Best solution would be to keep both v3 and v4 installed on your computer.
    All FSX-native planes with XML gauges will work in P3Dv4.
    FSX-native planes with .DLL or .GAU gauges will only work in P3Dv3, along with the FS9 planes.

One exception, if I may be so bold. The FSX Blue Angels F/A-18C v18.3 has had it's .dll file, HornetFCS.DLL, updated so now it works in P3D V4 64 bit.
    There are two versions of the v18.3, one for FSX and the 32 bit P3D sims, and one specifically for P3DV4. I can post the link, if you desire, of thee page with the two download files on it.

Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Ah yes, good point, and not specific to that Hornet in fact: some FSX native planes, payware or freeware, had their gauges or modules updated to 64 bits.
    In that case, they become compatible with P3Dv4 of course.

Members who have read this thread: 0