A Bit of Fun in QC Mode

Thread: A Bit of Fun in QC Mode

SOH-CM-2020

A Bit of Fun in QC Mode

You may have noticed that when in QC mode, as well as everyone shooting at you except your own airbase, there are a lot of ground formations spawned. Trains, truck and troop columns, etc. These are generated by the ground.spawns file in the spawns folder.

I took the armored column spawn file called for by ground.spawns - "enemy_armored_column" and tweaked it a bit. Ground type = direct means the column can go overland. Adding "friendly" to the second waypoint's position encourages the armored column to invade the friendly territory around my base in QC mode.

Here are some results - an American armored column crossing my German airbase....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tanks on airfield2.jpg   Tanks on airfield.jpg  

SOH-CM-2020
    Seventy eight views and no comments? I feel a bit peeved for some reason. I go online at quite a different time zone from the northern hemisphere, but all the same. Several times I have noticed that there are a large number of viewers who are not signed up to the forum. Can be anything up to 40 of them. These people I would describe as "takers" who contribute nothing. There are just a few of the same old crowd who actually post anything. I know this is an old gripe.

Some will say that CFS3 as an ancient product is on the way out, but then how come there are so many of these anonymous "watchers" out there?

Unfortunately not like Facebook where one can leave a "like" or similar!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

SOH-CM-2020
    True James, the silent, anonymous masses seem happy to lurk unidentified . In an ideal world, a post like this would stimulate some responses about other interesting tweaks to do with spawn files - maybe our ranks really have grown thin. It would be great if some new faces emerged with a fresh take on things. I would wish for a whizz on xml files and how to do clever things with Auto Hot Key - Daniel can't do everything himself!

For example, I got within a whisker of writing an instruction for Auto Hot Key to open the _mission.xml file (from the Appdata folder), and set skill level to 3, so that every campaign mission was at max skill level. Sadly it took an age to get that far and what I did is lost in the mists of time. This would be a fantastic tool to have, it just needs someone with the requisite skills... (sigh).

Well it seems not much young blood around here with Computer/Software skills. I've tried often to get my son (Comp Sc.) into CFS3 but he was an FSxxxx man and now does no out of work software stuff in any sim. I suppose if, like Clive now, one works at a computer all day, free time is for something else!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

G'day all..

Looks like a whole lot of mayhem to me mate,I imagine it would have some great possibilities in regards to some mission specific ground support goals etc..pity we're shy of a certain creature of shortened stature (a hobbit perhaps?..) to make a bunch of crazy missions to make it happen..
    I personally appreciate anyone's work that goes into cfs3 (still love it,don't play it as often as I should..or finish my projects when I want),certainly yours mate (a number of jap ships of mine come to mind..)..admittedly I guess many like me,find the real life grind tends to get in the way of our hobby and/or probably find the developing side of this would be a daunting thing to get into..I hate to say it,but most younger gamers are looking for a quick and easy way in (mobile gaming has to a lot to answer for..) and spending the time building/testing/releasing your project doesn't appeal to them the same way it does to us. I've tried getting my 10 year old son into cfs3 (he likes it,even wants to learn how to use gmax..),but I struggle to get him away from his tablet playing player unknown etc..sorry,not trying to get on anyone's goat and I guess somewhat O/T,but I think most get where I'm coming from..hang in there mate,always enjoy your work and your point of view..

cheers,jason..

SOH-CM-2020
    Always loved your work, Jason!

Are you sure you haven't got anything on your hard drive that could be uploaded for us to shoot at??

g'day all..

Yes mate,several projects on the go still..the ms07 conversion (nearly finished..),and the yamato is still ongoing (and going,and going..),and made a start on another conversion of one of stuarts awesome jap ships (haruna..or was it the kongo?)..would very much like to release a ship of my own in between though..oh,and some where in there was that update package for the cruisers that I promised some time back (about 90% sorted,i think ha ha..)..uh huh,plenty going on,never enough time to finish..

cheers!,jason..

<like> </like>

I kinda wish we could get rid of them entirely so you can enjoy a nice dogfight and then land in peace. I actually modded my files years ago so you either have none or the AA firing cones are much more realistic like only shooting over tree tops and skyward say above 10-15 degrees. It did help but is not perfect. The worst is having shells actually go off on the ground around you when taxiing back. Spoils the moment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

SOH-CM-2020
    Yes I know what you mean Squiffy. I seem to do more and more quick flights in QC mode to test specific things, and it gets to be an annoying drag when you are just about to get to the point of the flight, and the flak gets you! Mind you the AA can be set to "numpty".

It would be great to have a Hotkey set up so that the "noise" parameter for every gun became 10, then the chances of being hit start to shrink radically.

Now for some reason I've lost the armored column - I made a tweak to the spawn and it doesn't show up in QC mode. I'm getting a hell of a lot of ships parked offshore instead. Can't be paying enough attention to all my own tweaks!!

Members who have read this thread: 0