FSXBA Hornet - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FSXBA Hornet

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Thanks - so are you saying I need to make the change to the .mdl in MCX and the .air file too? I've never edited one of those either. Is AirWrench the tool for that job?
    Yes, a recent development release of MCX for the MDL, AirEd or AirUpdate I assume are fine for the air file.

I totally accept that it's very easy to upset the delicate balance of a FDE with minimal effort, but I've got a couple of ideas how to experiment with this, perhaps have a look at the 18D also.

Quote Originally Posted by Essex View Post
    Yes, a recent development release of MCX for the MDL, AirEd or AirUpdate I assume are fine for the air file.

I totally accept that it's very easy to upset the delicate balance of a FDE with minimal effort, but I've got a couple of ideas how to experiment with this, perhaps have a look at the 18D also.

When we stop innovating and improving on SOH - then we're dead in the water.

However, I have to say - with this particular bird - I think you'll genuinely struggle to make any improvement to the FDE. It is - how should one put it? - Aah yes...Perfect.

But go ahead - Damn it! - I'll fly it. Mind you. I'd fly a house brick if I could get reliable IAS from it.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Hi, guys!

Just a quick HU about the .air file: I looked at R1101 Line 20. The Cd_ds line. Spoiler drag. I used AAM v2.2. There's a note that reads thus: CAUTION: If CD_ds is set in REC 1540 too, this entry will be ignored
    There's no R1540, so THAT's covered.

It also says: Maximum Cds = Cd_ds * Max_Defl(rad) Sec 320

No R320, either, however it will use the entry in the aircraft.cfg, the section [airplane_geometry], line spoiler_limit = 60.0 //Degrees . Notice that the line in the aircraft.cfg is in Degrees, but the formula requires radians.

Given the values involved, it wouldn't take much of a change to either value to have a pretty good effect.
    I remember when we were working on setting the value of Cd_ds, it didn't take much of a change to have a rather hefty effect.

Just a quick note, to recommend caution when changing Cd_ds values.

A small note on testing things like this, too: If you use the Reload User Aircraft key combo, ensure ALL the AI traffic is totally off. All the sliders full left. If AI traffic is present when the Reload User Aircraft key combo is used to reload the aircraft to test a change, some of the .air file, Aircraft.cfg, Panel.cfg, etc may not be read, so the changes may or may not take effect. This means Aircraft, ships, road/airport traffic, all the AI.
    If you absolutely must leave AI Traffic enabled, it's best to End Flight, exit all the way out to the Free Flight page, and reload the plane from there. Alternatively, go to the Select Aircraft menu on the top menu bar, select a totally different aircraft, like a C172, or whatever, allow it to load all the way, then select the test plane again.
    No matter what method you choose, the trick is to ensure FSX dumps all the data from a particular plane, and reloads it fresh.

BTW: The original designer of the plane's model has been absent for several years now. Without being able to receive his permission, publishing any change to the model files is not legal.

Good fortune! I wish you all the best.

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

How to load Weps?

hi guys, How do I load weapons on the P3Dv4 version? I am using latest build of the FSXBA P3Dv4 version.

I'm not absolutely certain you need TacPack to see the weapons, but I think so.
    If not, have you tried SHFT+7 to call up the Configurator? It's a small, 2D pop-up window, upper left side of the screen. It will have lines with little squares, showing what stations you can load that particular weapon onto.
    Note: ALWAYS click on the Guns Only square FIRST, only then go on to select the weapons and fuel tanks you want. This ensures that the BRU pylons will show. If you don't, it will look like the weapons are floating along with the plane, a little below the wings, but not attached in any way.
    Creepy! Ghost weapons! AHHHHHH!!!!!

Hope this helps a little....
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    I'm not absolutely certain you need TacPack to see the weapons, but I think so.
    If not, have you tried SHFT+7 to call up the Configurator? It's a small, 2D pop-up window, upper left side of the screen. It will have lines with little squares, showing what stations you can load that particular weapon onto.
    Note: ALWAYS click on the Guns Only square FIRST, only then go on to select the weapons and fuel tanks you want. This ensures that the BRU pylons will show. If you don't, it will look like the weapons are floating along with the plane, a little below the wings, but not attached in any way.
    Creepy! Ghost weapons! AHHHHHH!!!!!

Hope this helps a little....
    Pat☺
    Hi Thanks. I have P3Dv4 but dont have tacpack currently installed. (I had it for FSX, but didnt buy the P3D version yet.) I have pulled up the Shift F7 dialog box but it doesnt seem to do anything.

I have pulled up the Shift F7 dialog box
    Actually, it's SHFT+7, not SHFT+F7. Just making sure we're speaking the same language here

Did you get a pop-up that looks like this:

Not huge, maybe 1/8 of the screen's total size.

Like I said, I won't swear that you must have TP to get the weapons to show, but I think you do. I think all that the non-TP version will allow is the fuel tanks. I can't be certain, though. I don't have P3D in any form.

Also: Are you certain you got the correct version for P3DV4? It matters. There are two downloads on page 1 of the thread, one for P3DV4 and up, one for FSX and P3DV3 and below. Also, bear in mind, v18.4 is a PROTOTYPE. It may not perform as expected, at least not completely. Did you try another version? V18.3, V18.1, whatever?
    Once again, though, ensure you download and install the correct version for your sim.

Finally, then I'll shut up, did you let the installer run through completely? Including allowing the .NET Framework install? That can seem to stop running, but it's not. It can look stopped, frozen, whatever you want to call it, for up to 15 or 20 minutes. Just let it run. It WILL finish, I promise.

Let me know how it goes
    Pat☺
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Configurator_NTP.jpg   Configurator_NTP.jpg  
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Hi. Thanks. that worked. and I am using the 18.465 beta in P3Dv4.

Sorry if this is not the place to post this but I have a question for all you FSXBA-FA-18 pilots. I have the latest update installed and working (FSXA). Using weapons config is no problem for me.

However, I find the roll axis is very "loose" and fast. I have a 3% dead zone set in my stick in that axis but find it extremely difficult for me to control a hard bank in this Bug. It is very slow to respond to aileron input once a roll has begun resulting in over rotation almost every attempt. It's also very difficult to hold wings level when hand flying even in calm weather. I can make steady gentle banks if I concentrate. Is this the way this bird is supposed to handle in FSX or are there adjustments that can be made for this?

Thanks,

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    Sorry if this is not the place to post this but I have a question for all you FSXBA-FA-18 pilots. I have the latest update installed and working (FSXA). Using weapons config is no problem for me.

However, I find the roll axis is very "loose" and fast. I have a 3% dead zone set in my stick in that axis but find it extremely difficult for me to control a hard bank in this Bug. It is very slow to respond to aileron input once a roll has begun resulting in over rotation almost every attempt. It's also very difficult to hold wings level when hand flying even in calm weather. I can make steady gentle banks if I concentrate. Is this the way this bird is supposed to handle in FSX or are there adjustments that can be made for this?

Thanks,

Steve
    I actually find it sort of the same way in P3D. However, I hadnt really thought about the behavior until you articulated it. I do know the FA-18 has some behaviors that are unique to it based on flap configurations and when you put the gear down etc. I am told it handles well around the boat, but I found it tricky first few times doing carrier landings because it does handle differently.

I know Jimi+crew are working hard to get the FCS logic accurate for the UA and PA modes of flight, as you are correct the Hornet FCS computers change the flight behavior throughout the evelope. I'm also in P3D now and still need to install it, but my earlier flights in FSX produced that rapid pitch rate the F-18 is known for. I dare not compare the FSXBA to another Hornet on a different platform I'm spending hours in these days, but I'm off to d\l the latest FSXBA P3D beta with Tacpack. Will report back.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

I have a 3% dead zone set in my stick in that axis but find it extremely difficult for me to control a hard bank in this Bug. It is very slow to respond to aileron input once a roll has begun resulting in over rotation almost every attempt. It's also very difficult to hold wings level when hand flying even in calm weather. I can make steady gentle banks if I concentrate. Is this the way this bird is supposed to handle in FSX or are there adjustments that can be made for this?
    The dead zones for the controller axes should all be 0 (full left). The FCS' PID controller handles the rest. The only axis this may not apply to is the Rudder axis. That can have a small deadzone to prevent inadvertent actuation of the rudders during other maneuvers. This plane requires no rudder use during most normal maneuvering. There are a few exceptions, like the Pirouette maneuver, that require rudder input, but most don't. It's known in the Navy as a "feet on the floor" aircraft. You don't really keep your feet off the rudder pedals, but you normally don't use them.

May I ask at what speeds and altitudes you experience the "slow-roll" effect? It matters. Normally, btw, once a roll is started, it must then be cancelled. IOW: You move the stick in roll, the plane starts rolling. You center the stick, and the plane will keep on rolling at the rate you commanded, until you throw the stick the other way, thus stopping the roll. The best speeds for cornering are 300-350 KIAS, at altitudes below 25,000' MSL. Rolls in excess of 360° at one time are prohibited.
    Also, you want to keep the roll trim set to 0, unless you have un-even wing loads, due to unbalanced ordnance on them.
    Presuming the FCS is functioning correctly, it will keep the plane wings level, nose level during flight, with no pilot inputs. You must ensure that you press the FCS Reset button during your normal post-start checks. It will automatically return to the UP position after 1 second.
    Like you get the engines fired up, good generator operation, good hydraulic pressure in all 3 systems, press the FCS Reset button, then go to Flaps 1 (or 1/2 if you prefer, different words for the same setting), and press the Pitch Launch Trim button on the Rudder Trim knob, etc etc, before you launch.

Finally, if you suspect the FCS is having trouble, you can reset it with the FCS Rest button, or the Spin Recovery Switch. A 1 second ON-OFF actuation of either will reset the FCS to all 0 settings, and then it begins building the PID settings from a fresh, clean state. Not generally a real good idea during ACM/BFM maneuvering, just fyi. Things might get real interesting for a few seconds

I never have any trouble during straight and level flight, or making turns, like a nice sharp break for an overhead recovery, ship or shore. The plane does as I require, when and how I ask it to.

I hope this helps a little...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Hi Pat. Thanks for the response. Not doing snap roles or other "aerobatics", just want to be able to perform a crisp break turn. The roll rate is not a problem. I have a sturdy (CH) HOTAS with rudders. I've gone to extremes and even slammed the stick to the stops and I just can't keep up with the roll in a sharp break in either direction. Before I can catch the roll it has exceeded 90 degrees and when I do catch the roll it it rolls opposite thru 90 before settling. Maybe its a practice makes perfect kinda thing but I've not had this happen with other virtual jets, pay or free.

Also, couple things I've noticed. The flap switch shows a poke point but does not operate. It shows to be in the "auto" mode all the time (full up). You mention keeping roll trim set to ZERO. I assume you mean-------- the rudder trim knob because I can find no "ROLL TRIM" knob/wheel.

The jet will not fly straight and level for me. I'm constantly "driving" the airplane. And, at all speeds, without constant attention to NU stick pressure, the nose eventually drops after a few seconds, and unless manually corrected with the stick the houses keep getting bigger until you join someone for dinner!

The FCS button does reset but seems to have no affect. BTW, I haven't been able to start the jet manually yet. Is that possible? Battery - ON, APU - ON, Gens - ON, Throttle cracked, Eng Crank (left or right, tried both ways but no matter) spool to 25% and stays. However, CNTRL - E start every time. After start up, press take off trim button.

I have read the manual.

Great looking jet, just haven't been able to have any fun in it yet.

Steve.
    Duckie

The roll rate is not a problem. I have a sturdy (CH) HOTAS with rudders. I've gone to extremes and even slammed the stick to the stops and I just can't keep up with the roll in a sharp break in either direction. Before I can catch the roll it has exceeded 90 degrees and when I do catch the roll it it rolls opposite thru 90 before settling. Maybe its a practice makes perfect kinda thing but I've not had this happen with other virtual jets, pay or free.
    Do you have the stick's Sensitivity full right? And the Null Zones full left, except maybe the rudder?
    Do you calibrate the stick with CH software of some sort, or do you use some kind of FSUIPC settings? It's best, if you have the payware version of FSUIPC, to ensure all the joystick settings are default, or not changed in any way. It's also best not to use any sort of CH software to align the joystick. Only use the SIM's Controls menu, the Calibrate button, to do the stick's calibration.

Finally, and this may shoot down two birds with one AIM-9X: Are you using the default, default flight? It's best to allow the default flight that came with the sim to load in to the Free Flight menu window, THEN select the location, and Aircraft.
    At worst, use the default flight's plane, the trike in FSX, in cold-n-dark, Avionics ON, magnetos ON and, most important, Mixture full rich.
    Once you have the default plane saved off that way in a saved flight, still use the sim's default, default flight, and once the Free Flight window loads up, load up the default plane in the cold-n-dark configuration saved flight you created.
    If you prefer, you can use the default C-172 to establish the cold-n-dark configuration. Save it off as a flight, but not the default flight. Let the sim's default, default flight load up in the Free-flight window, the load the cold-n-dark C-172 you created. Once it's fully loaded into the world, switch to the Hornet.

To start, Battery ON, Generators ON, APU started, and allowed to stabilize at it's full speed. Select the Right engine start with the Engine Crank switch by the APU panel. You want the right engine first, because the HYD2 system, which operates the Parking Brake, among other things, is run off the Right AMAD. Watch the Engine page on an MFD, and when the N2 comes up to 20%, then crack the throttle out of the Cut-Off position to Ground idle. Notice, you need to wait for the APU to spin the engine up to 20% N2 before you open the throttle. Also note that it's at this point the reason for having the Mixture Full Rich on the cold-n-dark plane you first loaded becomes apparent. On jets, the Mixture is the Fuel Control. If the engines don't start spooling up once you open the throttle, try hitting CTRL+SHFT+F4. You may not have saved your cold-n-dark flight in the C-172, or whatever plane you chose, with the Mixture Full Rich.
    Once the engine spools up to a stable 65% (approx), the Crank Switch will automatically go to OFF. You can then start the Left Engine. Once they are both running stably, hit the FCS Rest switch. Then continue with the Before Taxi checklist.

Yes, the Flaps switch in the VC is non-functional. It's just eye-candy, ATM. You need to use the F5-F8 buttons on your KB. F7 advances the flaps to 1/2, for Take-off for example, then to full, say for landing. F6 will decrease the flaps one setting. F5 is Full Up, and F8 is full down. Handy in the break to select full flaps quickly and easily.
    You may also use joystick buttons, of course, to accomplish the same thing.

Roll Trim: There isn't a switch or knob modeled in the VC. In the real plane, it's the Hat Switch on the stick. In the sim, it's CTRL+NumPad 4 or 5 for left or right. Naturally, you can assign the Roll Trim to two buttons on your joystick.
    Normally no Roll Trim is needed, though. Just make sure it's set to 0° before you load the Hornet up.
    As far as your pitch Trim, check the MFD Checklist page, and make sure it's at 0° Nose Up/Down before you take off. I suspect that either your saved off default flight has the pitch trim set to some nose low degree, or you accidentally trim nose down manually during some phase of your ground checks or take-off procedure. You shouldn't need to touch the Pitch Trim, on the keyboard OR joystick, at any time. The Pitch Take-Off Trim button on the Rudder Trim knob SHOULD be the only pitch trim you ever need to use.
    It's automatically set by the FCS when switching to PA mode. IE: Slowing to 250 KIAS, dropping the gear, and going to Full Flaps, while continuing to slow to about 135 KIAS, depending on the Plane's Gross Weight. The FCS will set the Pitch Trim to +8.1°, as displayed on the HUD.

Finally, make sure you wipe the controls just before you start your take-off roll. Last thing to do before you advance the throttles, or before the cat is triggered. This ensures nothing is stuck where it shouldn't be.

Oh, make absolutely certain your cold-n-dark saved flight has no form of Autopilot setting engaged. No FD, AT, Heading Hold, nothing. Not even the Yaw Damper.

Now my fingers are cramping. I hope all this helps somehow!!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Thanks Pat. Already know/do most of that. The only thing left is to set up a new profile for my stick with no roll or pitch axis dead zones for the jet.
    Duckie

OK, Pat, setting up the default C172, and adjusting the stick sensitivity to 100% with no pitch or roll dead zones took care of it all. I now have a Bug that starts and flies reasonably well (100% better than it did!).

Thank you for taking the time to offer your suggestions and set me straight.

Steve
    Duckie

Thanks Pat. Already know/do most of that.
    I apologise if I give too much information sometimes. I always think "Well, they may know this, but if I don't mention it, they won't, and it will fix the trouble...".
    I mean no insult by over-informing. Better to say too much, than not enough

Thank you for taking the time to offer your suggestions and set me straight.
    Yaaay!!

Very glad you got it going. Now, one last requirement I may have forgotten to mention, and this is vital: Go enjoy the plane!
    That's a requirement of the EULA

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

I apologize if I give too much information sometimes. I always think "Well, they may know this, but if I don't mention it, they won't, and it will fix the trouble...".
    I mean no insult by over-informing. Better to say too much, than not enough

No apology necessary. Like an old high school friend used to constantly remind me,"better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

...Very glad you got it going. Now, one last requirement I may have forgotten to mention, and this is vital: Go enjoy the plane!
    That's a requirement of the EULA

Pat☺
    I plan to do just that!

Thank you, again, for your help.

Steve
    Duckie

Hi !

I just installed version 18.3 in my FSX.
    The question I have is how to get the ladder, wheel chocks to show ?
    Is there a way of removing the pilot also, when aircraft is parked ?
    I wish there was an aircraft config panel popup available where these options could be checked.
    Shift-e opens /closes canopy for me. Shift-e + 2/3/4 etc. does nothing.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Well, according to manual, included in the Extras\Documents folder:
    6.3.17 Ladder, Chocks & Covers. Effect is tied to an exit function and can be activated/deactivated by pressing Shift-E + 3.
    I believe you mus also have both engines shut down completely, with all the hyd pressure drained off, and the battery and both generators to the OFF position on the right side panel.

I am pretty sure that should do it. If it doesn't, it's because Jimi and Team are to busy getting all the other features under control. I'll ask, if you want...

Good luck!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Well, according to manual, included in the Extras\Documents folder:

I believe you mus also have both engines shut down completely, with all the hyd pressure drained off, and the battery and both generators to the OFF position on the right side panel.

I am pretty sure that should do it. If it doesn't, it's because Jimi and Team are to busy getting all the other features under control. I'll ask, if you want...

Good luck!
    Pat☺
    Thank-you, Pat, for the prompt reply. I tried shutting down both engines, hyd pressure drained (saw wing flaps drop down similar to my A2A Mustang when hyd pressure drained), bat. and both generators 'off', and parking brake set - repeated this scenario several times - only once was successful seeing the ladder, wheel chocks and engine exhaust covers show - that was on the Blue Angels trainer version, the other (military) versions were a 'no go'. I am running FSX with SP 1 and 2 (no acceleration). Not concerned with tacpak or weapon deployment etc. - just wanted an 'airshow' type of jet with working autopilot, garmin to fly from point A to B - like civilian jets in FSX. Perhaps a recommendation would be to have the aircraft configuration (ladder, wheel chocks, pilot etc.) show up as a pop up window - same as the 'payload configuration' window for the military version ? On my last flight today with the 'Golden Dragons' repaint, I got an error in FSX : " This graphic card does not meet minimum requirements for shader support. This product requires a geForce3/Radeon8500 class or better graphics card. Flight Simulator will now exit. ". I have had FSX for over 9 years, and never any such error. Running i7 2600k, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7900 GPU, DirectX 11, although FSX is DX9 (not DX10 preview). I temporarily removed this aircraft from FSX , and all is back to normal. Wonder if this 'error' has anything to do with this aircraft being an FSX Acceleration model (hope not, fingers crossed, perhaps a fluke error after playing with it for a long time, changing repaints etc.? ). For my purposes in FSX all seemed to be fine, all VC gauges worked AFAIK, except for the shutdown issues with the ladder,chocks etc. - and also how to make pilot disappear (if possible) from parked aircraft ? If u could check re this further, I would very much appreciate it. I realize this one is still in a 'beta' test phase and hence don't expect everything 100%, just want to know if these are known issues or if these are 'only at my end' - so to speak. Lastly, I just want to say that this is turning out to be one beautiful aircraft, and congratulations to all involved.

Thank-you,
    MZ.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

Just wondering if this project is finished, or ? Haven't heard any news for a while here at SOH. I just wish this aircraft could be packaged in a simple, no frills, no weapons, no tacpack airshow 'Blue Angels' only repaint for the thousands of FSX SP1 and 2 users who do not have the Acceleration addon. Perhaps Jimi could do one ?
    Cheers, MZee ...

How can I remove a pilot?
    Last edited by stovall; September 11th, 2019 at 05:46.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Quote Originally Posted by zsoltquack View Post
    How can I remove a pilot?
    Zsolt, you can use Model Converter X to remove most anything you wish including the pilot. I have also used MCX to add pilots as well.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Zsolt, you can use Model Converter X to remove most anything you wish including the pilot. I have also used MCX to add pilots as well.
    I mean, in a parking position
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Members who have read this thread: 1