FSXBA Hornet
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FSXBA Hornet

FSXBA Hornet

Quick and heartfelt applause to FSDream Team for their F-18c Legacy Hornet improvements

Thank you for all the work you have done to make this baby shine

enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Yeah, their (Jimi's) F/A-18C (Don't ask about the D! ) is great.

BTW, here's the link to the forum with the latest version. The link above, at least for me, goes to the previous version; http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/ind...c,16514.0.html

Actually, the newest newest version, 18.3, is here: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/ind...c,16514.0.html

There's a P3Dv4-specific version, too! (Though apparently they're working on fixing some P3D avionics issues.)

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Actually, the newest newest version, 18.3, is here: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/ind...c,16514.0.html

There's a P3Dv4-specific version, too! (Though apparently they're working on fixing some P3D avionics issues.)
    Actually, the v18.3 has both the P3D 64 bit version, and the older P3D and FSX 32 bit setups included in the same download.

Instructions in the Readme tell you how to make it the 64 bit version. I believe it's default is the 32 bit version. Essentially, it's a matter of which Panel.Fleet folder, and Hornet_FCS.dll file you utilize, as to whether it's 64 or 32 bit.

Yes, Jimi and Orion are working on getting the Avionics right for PD 64 bit. It's still a work in progress, but the v18.3 is a big improvement over the v18.1, believe me.

I don't have P3D, so I can't speak to how well it works, or how good it looks, but in FSX:SE it's a real joy to fly. Aerobatics and traps aboard the boat both. Only problem I've noticed so far is that in a dive, at about 400 KIAS, going through 10,000' MSL, it can give a little wobble. Jimi and team are working on it.

Enjoy it though. It is a joy to fly, and there's 80 liveries, from around the world, for the screenie types.
    I love it, I know that!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

thank you for sorting out the latest / correctest version of the jet for the various iterations of FSX/P3D...it's getting a little oblong trying to sort it all out at this point, isn't it..

Regardless - Great Work has been done and continues to be done to bring the Legacy Hornet to life and closer to accuracy and fidelity. Thank you to the team for their diligence and skill
    enter..the Sandman

I am a little confused about installation to P-3DV4. There are some P3D specific files, i.e. Gauges and Panel.Fleet? So am guessing the contents of the Gauges directory go into the Gauges directory of V4, and the Panel.Fleet goes into the FSXBA Hornet main directory in V4? Is there any other config necessary, i.e. modifying the aircraft.cfg file to tell it to use Panel.Fleet?

Oh, and would love to see a VFA-106 paint done of this (I know a Anniversary Edition was done, but am referring to 1980s paint....when the squadron was commissioned.) I was with VFA-106 from 84-87. They didn't even have aircraft for several months!

Thanks. NC

Like Navy Chief, I'm a little confused as to how to sort out the "...Specific" files, except mine is for FSXA. So far I haven't been able to find any installation instructions. I've never installed any version of this. Are there installation instructions somewhere for the manual install downloads?
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

DennyA posted the latest links and in that link you can clearly see separate downloads - latest one for FSX-A and also the latest one for P3D ver4...
    but it's true that this is getting trickier to suss out with all the versions for P3D and with FSX-A vs Steam...
    enter..the Sandman

The download file for the v.18.3 has everything you need to all the various simulator versions available. Well, for FSX, whether box or SE, and P3DV4 64 bit, anyway.

Jimi has posted an update, May 05 2018, since I downloaded the v18.3. I will verify what's going on with the two downloads. There's one for P3D64bit, and one for FSX. I will get back to y'all as soon as I get them both downloaded, so I can see what gives.
    You can find the two downloads here: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/ind...html#msg117675 . He also has the various updates and improvements the latest update has included in that particular post. I recommend going through the post.

If you have an older zip file, before the 5 May one, and it doesn't have an auto-installer, do this:
    For FSX, or P3d 32 bit versions, Simply unzip the zip file to a temp folder of some sort, and copy the contents over to your \Simobjects\Airplanes folder. It should be good to go. That's presuming you have the correct C++ Redistribuable running.

For the P3DV4 64bit version, you need to make a couple of changes, and/or additions to make everything work right. First, you need to get a copy of the original FSX Acceleration file FA_18.DLL, and place it you main Gauges folder. P3D doesn't include this file. You need to get it from a FSX Acceleration, or FSX:SE installation. You also need to make sure you have the correct C++ Redistributable 2015 (X86) installed. You can get it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=48145 . Make sure you get the (X86) version.
    Then, go to the P3D Specific Files folder. Copy the two files in the Gauges folder to your main P3D\Gauges folder. Overwrite if applicable.
    Then, copy and Overwrite the files in the Panel.Fleet folder to the plane's Panel.Fleet folder. Essentially, you're replacing the Panel.cfg and the DSD sound dll files.

I have a more detailed install instructions here: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/ind...html#msg126200

I hope all this helps!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Ok, I finally got a chance to check the two out. They are specialized, as they indicate in their title and the title of the plane's folder in the appropriate zip file.
    If you go to jimi's post on the first page of the newest Hornet thread here: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/ind...html#msg117675 , you will see that there are two different download links available. One is marked as being for FSX, the other is for P3D. That means P3DV4.

There's no action you need to take for either, presuming you have the proper ancillary files running. The C++ Redist, etc. Just download the right one for your sim, and unzip them into the correct folder. Like for FSX, it would be your \Simobjects\Airplanes. You will need to copy the effects and their textures to the sims \Effects folder. They are found in the planes \Extras folder.

Then hop in and go enjoy! This plane, according to the various real-world Hornet drivers on the development team, flies as close to the way the real one does as any out there. They are named in the beginning of the Aircraft.cfg file.
    It may not be EASY, or whatever you've had available up to now, but it's very realistic.

The plane IS TacPac enabled, as well, for those of you who use it.

Couple it with AICarriers.NET, and vLSO, and AWAAAAYYYY You GO!

Enjoy all!

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Pat, thank you for taking the time to reply to our installation questions. I did install it exactly as you say and all the basics seem to work OK in the limited amount of time I've spent with it.

I was questioning the fact that there were both P3D and FSX specific folders included in the FSX download as well as "default" folders/files. Obviously the P3D folder would be ignored for the FSX version. However, without installation instructions, especially for first time users like myself, it's hard to know if the additional files/folders within the folder titled "FSX Specific" should be exchanged with the default files/folders in the download, as they appear to be duplicates. Do these specific files contain optional additional or more advanced capabilities or effects, or are they just left overs from previous versions, etc?

Thanks,

Steve
    Duckie

However, without installation instructions, especially for first time users like myself, it's hard to know if the additional files/folders within the folder titled "FSX Specific" should be exchanged with the default files/folders in the download, as they appear to be duplicates.
    Originally, when the v18.3 first hit, they included everything for both sims, so they only had to make 1 download file for both sims. FSX, and P3D 64 bit. Now, due to the confusion, especially from the first time users like yourself, they split them off. Why Jimi doesn't include a Readme, or installation instructions, I don't know. It may be because they are releasing small updates, not enough to designate a whole new version, like v18.4 or whatever, too quickly, and Jimi couldn't keep up. I'm not certain, though.
    I will speak with Jimi, and see if we can't get the installation instructions written up and included in a Readme for both download files.
    During the summer, Jimi, Orion, and many other on the Team, are very busy. They are both still active duty military. This may contribute to their rush to release, along with the beta testers, and just general users crying out for various changes and updates. I wager they just ran so far behind, they gave up on the Readme file, or at least the auto-install file.
    As I say, I will speak with Jimi, and see if we can get the Readme back on track.

Pat, thank you for taking the time to reply to our installation questions. I did install it exactly as you say and all the basics seem to work OK in the limited amount of time I've spent with it.
    I am glad it's working for you so well I am happy I could help out a little. I love this plane, if you couldn't tell, and tend to "advertise" it at every opportunity. Up till I started doing that, this plane was almost exclusively used by the FSX Blue Angels for their demo team flying. They have a lot of communication channels internally, so things like install instructions in a written form really weren't needed. With me shouting from the roof-tops, so to speak, they're getting a lot more "strangers", so a better Readme would be a benefit. Many first time installers aren't members of their forums, so that path of information dispersal, used up till recently, is no longer viable.

Do these specific files contain optional additional or more advanced capabilities or effects, or are they just left overs from previous versions, etc?
    Mostly leftovers. No longer needed now that there's 2 separate downloads, one for each sim type. The two "Specific Files" folders can pretty much be ignored.
    The only folder you need to worry about any more is the Extras folder. It has the effects that need to be placed in the sims \Effects folder, including their associated textures.
    It also includes documentation on the aircraft, what it does, and how it does it. Very good information to read up on. Another excellent source of information on the plane is the real-world Hornet's NATOPS manual. I strongly suggest you download it in PDF format. That way, you have the information at your fingertips. You can download it here: https://publicintelligence.net/u-s-n...light-manuals/ .
    That site has an immense hoard of various military manuals, both aircraft NATOPS of various sorts, as well as manuals published by the various services on a huge variety of subjects. Not just US Navy, but all services. Not just US services, but world wide. Great site.
    I suggest taking a moment to browse around it and see what all they have you might be able to use

Enjoy it! It's great for FCLP, with scenery available from Paddles as part of his vLSO effort, as well as carrier ops. Bombing missions, A-A interdictions, the whole nine yards. It's even TacPac enabled.
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Thanks again, Pat, for the detailed explanation. It is very helpful and it is much appreciated.

Steve
    Duckie

Blog Entries
    Read the manual and didn't see any information on loadout. At least to get the center tank visible. My a/c are all totally clean. I'm assuming there's a matrix for adding a given weight to a given store position?

thx,

dl

ps: I don't have Tacpac.

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Read the manual and didn't see any information on loadout. At least to get the center tank visible. My a/c are all totally clean. I'm assuming there's a matrix for adding a given weight to a given store position?

thx,

dl

ps: I don't have Tacpac.
    I dont have tacpac either but the loadouts work independently of the weight and fuel GUI in FSX
    just load a flight then press 'Ctrl+7' I think...and you get a popup window for loading up the externals...You have to click on the 'guns only' window in order to access the hard points..otherwise all you can load are the wingtip sidewinders
    enter..the Sandman

Blog Entries
    Shift+7 it is - thanks. Got a nice 3 tank option that suits me just fine.

cheers,

dl

welcome mate - you've solved a few for me over the years so..there you go
    enter..the Sandman

Does anybody know if the Ladder,and chocks work on this model,I have seen pics of with them both out,and if they do work whats the switches,or key presses?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Exit keys. Shift e + 2/3/4 etc brings up a bunch of animations, incl engine covers, ladder, etc.

Thanks for the answer delta_lima,I suppose you have to be shut down,and have the parking brakes on to see these?

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Shift+7 it is - thanks. Got a nice 3 tank option that suits me just fine.

cheers,

dl
    Jimi and the gang haven't figured out a way to add the correct amount of fuel for additional external tanks you add with the SHFT+7 menu.
    The weight of the empty tank, and it's drag values, are correctly added, when you select them, just as the A-A missiles, bombs, etc. are.
    My solution, as a temporary measure, is to add the tanks into the [fuel] section of the aircraft.cfg file, but make their "amount of fuel in the tank" default values zero. That way, if/when I want to have the tanks on-board when flying, I use SHFT+7 to display them, and have their weight and drag values correct. Then, before take-off, I just go to the Fuel and Payload menu, and add the proper amount of fuel to them. Since there's only 1 value for that parameter, it's easy to remember, even for me.

Alternatively, you can add them into the [Fuel] section as before, but have the correct amount in them. That way, if you want to use them, they are already full and ready to go. If you don't want to use them, or only one or two, you can get into the Fuel and Payload menu, and change the displayed values to zero appropriately. Saves you from having to remember the correct amount for them. Even I can remember "zero"!

PhantomP
    Thanks for the answer delta_lima,I suppose you have to be shut down,and have the parking brakes on to see these?
    Correct. Both engines totally spooled down to zero. Same for the APU. Parking brake set. I won't swear that you have to have the Generator, and Battery, switches off as well. I'll take a look.

Have fun all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Jimi and the gang haven't figured out a way to add the correct amount of fuel for additional external tanks you add with the SHFT+7 menu.
    The weight of the empty tank, and it's drag values, are correctly added, when you select them, just as the A-A missiles, bombs, etc. are.
    My solution, as a temporary measure, is to add the tanks into the [fuel] section of the aircraft.cfg file, but make their "amount of fuel in the tank" default values zero. That way, if/when I want to have the tanks on-board when flying, I use SHFT+7 to display them, and have their weight and drag values correct. Then, before take-off, I just go to the Fuel and Payload menu, and add the proper amount of fuel to them. Since there's only 1 value for that parameter, it's easy to remember, even for me.

Alternatively, you can add them into the [Fuel] section as before, but have the correct amount in them. That way, if you want to use them, they are already full and ready to go. If you don't want to use them, or only one or two, you can get into the Fuel and Payload menu, and change the displayed values to zero appropriately. Saves you from having to remember the correct amount for them. Even I can remember "zero"!

Correct. Both engines totally spooled down to zero. Same for the APU. Parking brake set. I won't swear that you have to have the Generator, and Battery, switches off as well. I'll take a look.

Have fun all!
    Pat☺
    Hey Pat thanks for all the info,but can you please show what the extra fuel tanks section should look like in the in the Fuel section of the hornet config,and what the correct amount of fuel for them should be?

Hey Pat thanks for all the info,but can you please show what the extra fuel tanks section should look like in the in the Fuel section of the hornet config,and what the correct amount of fuel for them should be?
    Happy to!
    Code:
    [fuel]
    LeftAux   = -28.50, 0, 0, 418, 0.0 ;Tank 1     //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)
    LeftMain  = -28.50, 0, 0, 263, 0.0 ;Tank 2     //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)
    RightMain = -28.50, 0, 0, 206, 0.0 ;Tank 3     //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)
    RightAux  = -28.50, 0, 0, 532, 0.0 ;Tank 4     //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)
    LeftTip   = -28.50, 0, 0, 74.1, 0.0 ;Left Wing  //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)
    RightTip  = -28.50, 0, 0, 74.1, 0.0 ;Right Wing //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)
    external1 = -25.50, 0, -28.00, 0, 0.0    :Centerline Droptank, 330 gal. capacity 
    external2 = -25.50, 5.51, -28.00, 0, 0.0 :Left station Droptank 330 gal. capacity
    external3 = -25.50,-5.51, -28.00, 0, 0.0 :Right Station Droptank 330 gal. capacity

fuel_type = 2                                   //Fuel type: 1 = Avgas, 2 = JetA
    number_of_tank_selectors = 1
    electric_pump=1
    fuel_dump_rate = 0.0025                       //Percent of max quantity per second
    I don't believe you can jettison the tanks, so once you add them to the various stations, they are there. If you decide to dump fuel, I am pretty sure the system will dump externals first. I know it uses from the externals first.
    Having said that, it's possible that with TacPac the tanks will be jettisonable (is that a word??). Bear in mind, though, that the fuel quantity in them won't jettison with the tank, I believe. So if you want to drop them, you will need to either use the "fuel dump" system on them first, or zero their amounts in the Fuel and Payload menu.
    I don't have TacPac, so I can't speak to all this from personal experience.

The fuel totalizer display will show the fuel in them for you. You'll have to do the conversion from gallons to lbs, though, to interpret it. 330 gallons = 2185 lbs.
    Remember to watch the plane's gross weight for landing aboard a boat. 33,000 Lbs is the max gross weight to land on the boat, and no more than 500 lbs in any external tank.
    Apparently, early on, they had a situation or three in which the plane trapped aboard with more than that in an external tank, but not totally full, and when the plane caught the wire, the tank detached it's self when the fuel sloshed forward. Fuel tank would go shooting off the angle deck at about 130 kts., with everyone staring open-mouthed. Also, when the tank self-detached, it would trash the mounting system setups.
    Needless to say, they made some changes in the NATOPS to cover this
    I don't believe the sim will do this, but hey, why not do things right?

Notice I set up for my second method. Zero in the externals when the plane first loads in. That way, if you don't want to use them, you need to do nothing. If you do, add them with the SHFT+7 menu, and adjust the Fuel and Payload menu appropriately. When you add them with the SHFT-7 menu, the tank's weight and drag configurations will load automagically, but they won't have any fuel in them. Jimi and team are still working on that. This is a little side-step I came up with to at least get some fuel in them.

enjoy!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Brand new user to this version. Probably a dumb question, and I've certainly tried to figure it out using the included manual and scanning the cockpit - but how do you turn on the FCS? I have an "FCS INOP" message in my HUD that won't go away. I tried the FCS reset on the left side panel.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Members who have read this thread: 1