July 4th 1918

Thread: July 4th 1918

July 4th 1918

The Battle of Le Hamel on July 4th 1918 was an Allied triumph, and strategically very important in the closing stages of WWI.
    A largely Australian force with a contingent of raw American troops, commanded by Sir John Monash, fought what has been described as the first modern battle,
    where infantry, tanks, artillery and planes operated together as a co-ordinated force with every detail planned meticulously.
    The plan allowed 90 minutes for victory, this was achieved in exactly 93 minutes.
    While relatively small in comparison to previous battles of the war, Hamel would have far-reaching consequences for warfare, particularly trench warfare, which had defined much of the First World War.
    Like the Battle of Cambrai in 1917, Hamel provided a major example of the capability to successfully implement combined arms in offensive operations.

The use of artillery, armour, infantry and to a limited extent air support as the future of warfare. The pace of the battle and the way in which different elements collaborated effectively would inspire the development of both doctrine and technology over the following decades resulting in the German Blitzkrieg, which would dominate the European battlefield 21 years later and would continue to evolve into the high-tempo manoeuver warfare in the 21st century.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the history lesson. Just now finding out more about WWI. The forgotten war. Much to learn ! Regards,Scott

It was a significant date and operation as it was first Australia-American combined effort and the first genuine combined forces op of the 'War to End all Wars'.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 0