FSX-SE vs P3D??

Thread: FSX-SE vs P3D??

Icon9 FSX-SE vs P3D??

I have pretty capable hardware (see below) but lately I've been getting a CTD approx 15-20 minutes into a Free Flight. I am running ORBX scenery in Western USA and Canada, and Active Sky Next purchased from Steam. At this point I'm tired of troubleshooting and trying to decipher crash logs. I was wondering if gambling $60 on P3D would perhaps solve my problems?

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz 36 °C
    8.00GB Dual-Channel RAM @ 1510MHz (15-16-16-35)
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170 PRO GAMING (LGA1151) 38 °C
    ASUS VE278 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ZOTAC International) 34 °C
    232GB Seagate ST325031 8AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 28 °C
    476GB Samsun SSD 850 PRO 512G SCSI Disk Device (SSD) 29 °C
    119GB M4-CT128 M4SSD2 SCSI Disk Device (SSD)

I ran P3Dv4 (64 bit) on my previous rig which had a very comparable configuration to yours. Then again, it also ran FSX:SE.

So I don't think it is the configuration of your rig, but something else.

If I were you (but who am I?) I would do a clean install of your PC and start all over again with FSX at first. Remember that, when changing to a 64 bit simulator, none of your FS9 portovers will work.

Another thing: I see that you still run Win7. Support for that will end by the end of next year. I seriously recommend going Windows 10 as it did a lot of good on my rig performance wise.

Moreover, I changed over to P3Dv4 and I'm not looking back at all. 64 bit is what flightsim should have been for a while now!

Cheers,

Priller

Hi,

Moving to P3D v4 will solve the CTD problems but you will loose anything not compatible with v4. (Older and not native scenery and aircraft)
    If that does bother you you can ease the pain (less likely CTD) by disabling all scenery you don't use during a particular flight. Because that is what causes the CTD's, FSX (and P3Dv3) will load all scenery on your flightpath even if you fly at 10K+ft. and doesn't unload the files when moving away from the scenery.
    A tool like simstarter (NG) comes handy to create different scenery files for different flights but you can do it manually as well.

Regards,

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by mooringj View Post
    Hi,

Moving to P3D v4 will solve the CTD problems but you will loose anything not compatible with v4. (Older and not native scenery and aircraft)
    If that does bother you you can ease the pain (less likely CTD) by disabling all scenery you don't use during a particular flight. Because that is what causes the CTD's, FSX (and P3Dv3) will load all scenery on your flightpath even if you fly at 10K+ft. and doesn't unload the files when moving away from the scenery.
    A tool like simstarter (NG) comes handy to create different scenery files for different flights but you can do it manually as well.

Regards,

Jan
    Sorry Jan, we don't have sufficient information to come to the conclusion that it is the scenery that is causing the CTD's. There could be hundreds of different reasons. If the cause is related to hardware, updates, or what ever, eventually the newly installed P3Dv4 will suffer the same consequences.

Priller

Priller,

You are right about the CTD. Installing P3Dv4 solves the Out of Memory errors many people encounter in FSX (and P3Dv3) but not the crashes (CTD)

Jan

Just so you know, I am running FSX:SE, on a Win7 64 bit machine. I have had a total of one CTD since I installed SE, on the day it came out.
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0