Airspeed consul

Thread: Airspeed consul

Airspeed consul

My Airspeed Consul build is now availble from FlightSim.com

This was a civilian conversion of Oxford trainers by Airspeed for feeder airline use immediately after WW2.
    Cheers
    Dave M(oly)

Excellent! A real beauty, like all your planes.
    Thank you!

I'll bet Peter Watkins is already spraying paint all over it. I hope so!

Ha ha ! thanks Mick.
    Yes - Peter is already at work - I always make sure he gets an early copy of my builds.
    Cheers
    Dave M(oly)

Superb! D/L,ing now. Thanks molyned .
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Blog Entries
    Your Consul is fabulous David. I really like the fine cockpit instrumentation and animations. And it's a delight to fly.

Having finally found the time to try both the Oxford and Consul, I am wondering if anyone else is having the same problem that I am.
    On starting a flight, ie, engines running and ready to go, both aircraft are toddling along nicely at an indicated 15 kts without any help from me. The throttles appear to be 7% open (easily sorted), but the revs show a "tickover" of around 1100 to 1200 rpm, surely way too high.
    I use a Saitek X52 so the first thing I did was to check the calibration, which seemed to be OK, but recalibrated it anyway. No difference. I zeroed the throttles using the pop-up but the revs still did not reduce, steadfastly remaining at slightly over 1100. Shutting down the engines and restarting had no effect. No problem on the Envoy which, on starting a flight shows a tickover of between 500-600 rpm.
    Any ideas please

David

SOH-CM-2023
    Sorry that is one thing I forgot to look at, I was concentrating more on the ability to get the boost & rpm as near correct as possible!
    Anyway a quick & dirty look has shown that in the aircraft.cfg piston engine section:-
    Idle rpm mechanical efficiency scalar = 0.75 //1.0
    idle rpm friction scalar=1.75 //0.95
    will give about 730 rpm tickover.
    I don't think it has affected anything else.
    Keith

Keith,
    Many thanks for that. I did try a bit of trial and error on the relative values but unfortunately went the wrong way!!!
    However, your adjustments did the trick so I went a little further and adjusted the values as follows
    idle rpm mechanical efficiency scalar = 0.65
    idle rpm friction scalar = 1.90
    With the "pop-up" throttles zeroed this gives a tickover of around 550 rpm, much more appropriate for an elderly round engine don't you think!!
    Once again thank you

David

SOH-CM-2023
    Well done David, thank you for that. I will however take a longer look at the airfile graphs later on, so that hopefully the scalars can return to 1.0.
    Will keep you posted. Mind you I do not know the real world tickover values - any one out there that does know?
    Keith

Members who have read this thread: 1