Fa2004 missing terrain.cfg

Thread: Fa2004 missing terrain.cfg

Fa2004 missing terrain.cfg

I have a problem with my fs2004 missing terrain.cfg file. What should I do?

You may find that when you start FS it will generate a new terrain.cfg file.

If FS won't start or if it doesn't create a new terrain.cfg file, you can take a copy from the installation CD-ROMs. It's on Disc 1, and it goes in the main FS2004 folder.

How did you find out it was missing?

Started it up... it said it was missing terrain.cfg file.

One problem... my copy doesn't have terrain.cfg on the cd.

now my sim says my scenery.cfg areas can't be found.

erm, ok its a Windows issue not a Fs issue.

Firstly, try running fs as administrator.

Alternatively backup copies of cfg are stored in your user/your name/app data/roaming/microsoft /fs9 folder on your C drive, you will have to have hidden folders viewable to see the folder.

Ttfn

Pete

I am having an error with scenery.cfg.

I ran it as administrator... and the error came up.

There is a "virgin" copy, or the file that the sim installs in the proper location, of the Scenery.cfg file, located in the FS9 root folder. Do not change or alter it in any way. If you want to look in it, do not use any sort of word processor. Only ever use NotePad (included with Windows), or NotePad++, a freeware program.

You can take and COPY (not move, copy) the file to it's correct location manually. I strongly advise you to make a copy of the file that is already there, if you do. Or rename it. Something to save it, even if it's become corrupted somehow.

If you do this, bear in mind you will be back to the original installation of FS9 when it comes to scenery. None of the scenery you had added to your Scenery Library will be present any longer. You will have to add it back in manually. The default FS9 scenery will be there, just nothing you had added. Including payware, if any.

In Windows7 Home Pro, if it helps, the Scenery.cfg is located here: C:\Users\<YOUR_USER_NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsof t\FS9

Good luck!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

BoeingvsAirbusNKL are you running Windows10? As I had this problem already several times and in all cases it was caused you a backup copy placed in a hidden system folder, called virtual store.

I assume you have already checked whether the scenery config file is in your FS2004 root directory. Don't mess with it before you have made a back-up.

Cheers,
    Huub

Huub vink... i am running windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by BoeingvsAirbusNKL View Post
    One problem... my copy doesn't have terrain.cfg on the cd.
    Oh, it's there alright. The CD's are all the same and they're CD-ROMs, Read Only Memory, meaning nothing can be changed or deleted from them. So it's there.

Do you have your Windows set to hide known file extensions? If so, are you looking for a file named "terrain.cfg" when you have your rig set to not show the .cfg part?

I saw that you're running W7, so you don't have all the nasty weirdness that W10 causes. It seems that you should be able to copy the terrain.cfg file from the CD-ROM and drop it into the main FS9 folder. If that doesn't work then you've got something seriously wrong and I suspect it has more to do with Windows than with FS9.

As for missing scenery areas, this is just a guess, but did you delete your scenery.cfg file and FS9 created a new one, one like the original, straight from the box one that doesn't have your added on sceneries on it?

When i tried to start it up without scenery.cfg... it said it was needed and the sim has to be reinstalled.

Checked the folder properties... noticed it was checked as read only. hopefully that works.

It didn't! Dagnabbit! i don't know what the heck i should do!

Icon5

Hi BA,
    I think it may be your anti-virus, that's taking a disliking, to the Fs9 folder or certain file activity. Have you just recently updated you AV or installed a new one/version?

If you check your quarantine folder in the AV vault, you may find them there, but if not they have been deleted.

Cheers

Shessi

Now i have a bigger problem... the default aircraft can't be initialized because of the aircraft.cfg files is gone!

I think Shessi may be onto something with his idea about AV. Something is deleting or quarantining your .cfg files and your AV is a likely suspect.

Here's another thought - have you been running FS without this problem until now? Or is this a new installation on a new confutor? Or a new installation on an old confutor? I know a W7 rig probably isn't new, but is this a new FS installation on it? If so, did you make the common mistake of letting FS install itself into either the program files or program files x86 folder? If so, that might be your problem. FS9 was written for WinXP (or an even earlier OS?) and it was written to install itself there, the proper and logical place for earlier Windows systems. Alas, it is NOT a good place for it in W7 because W7's built in security features just hate cfg files. So, if your FS9 is in one of those folders, your reinstall will have to go somewhere else. Another folder on your C drive would be OK, another partition or drive even better.

If you do reinstall to a new location you will have to rebuild your scenery.cfg file to include all your add-on scenery areas, but the sim should work normally. I hope one of these suggestions is the answer, because I think I'm all out of ideas.
    Last edited by Mick; July 5th, 2018 at 08:23.

Members +
    Mmmm, loosing aircraft.cfg's happened to me as well, after installing the sim into its default C:Program Files directory. After trying to sort it out, I just did a complete new install into C:\

Problem solved.

Good luck,
    Robin

Finally fixed

It turns out i was missing terrain.cfg, scenery, aircraft.cfg, model.cfg, panel.cfg, sound.cfg, and several other things... it is finally working!
    Last edited by BoeingvsAirbusNKL; July 5th, 2018 at 13:04. Reason: Typo

It turns out i was missing terrain.cfg, scenery, aircraft.cfg, model.cfg, panel.cfg, sound.cfg, and several other things... it is finally working!
    Glad to hear this!

What did you have to do to fix it?

Extracted msgame1.cab and manually place all .cfg files in each corresponding aircraft.

Extracted msgame1.cab and manually place all .cfg files in each corresponding aircraft.
    Awrk! How tedious and annoying! Glad you got it settled.

Good to gear you found a solution

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 0