SOH forum connectivity
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOH forum connectivity

SOH forum connectivity

Is it only me having connectivity issues with SOH in the USA? On the other hand no problem though a UK VPN. USA one gets too busy after a few clicks. Using Firefox but the same with Chrome.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Same issue here in France...

No issue in Belgium! Using Firefox.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    No issue here in USA using Firefox .

I had that on my Win XP with firefox, it was because of a firefox update.
    They have an older version on the web site, downloaded, but had to reset up all of my links. ??
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    Is it only me having connectivity issues with SOH in the USA? On the other hand no problem though a UK VPN. USA one gets too busy after a few clicks. Using Firefox but the same with Chrome.
    I have had unreliable connections with SOH for a month or two. Am using Firefox, regularly updated, from NZ. But I don't think that SOH is the only site giving me problems. This makes me think that maybe Firefox updates are causing a problem?

At a certain time of the morning in the UK there is always a “server busy” message, but I’m sure that’s when some admin task is running. I just eat breakfast until it’s free again, doesn’t take more than 15 minutes, then it’s normal service. I do find other software updating gets in the way from time to time.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Members +
    Same here in Cape Town, South Africa. For about an hour in the morning.

hairyspin
    At a certain time of the morning in the UK there is always a “server busy” message, but I’m sure that’s when some admin task is running. I just eat breakfast until it’s free again, doesn’t take more than 15 minutes, then it’s normal service. I do find other software updating gets in the way from time to tim
    END

I have no problem using a UK based VPN (+6 hrs) but here in the US it seems to happen at any old time; not just in the morning; which it did today; but also in the afternoon.

I have free time this week and will keep an eye on it, albeit from the Blighty end. Saturday is out, though, an airshow beckons and the weather is set fair.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Ca BST 22:50 or Central DST 16:50
    Unable to connect

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at www.sim-outhouse.com.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

problems here at 0930 CDT. Using UK VPN again to connect,

I’ve been checking connection throughout this week and at all times of day. No problems encountered all week and no reports on other forums, so I fear your problems may be nearer your end than the SOH server. ISP, local bandwidth, unusual demand on a service - the World Cup is popular in the UK - there are many possible causes. Sorry!
    Tom

I beg to differ. I normally have no problems whatsoever to connect to the site.

But lately, I'm experiencing problems while accessing pages during the early hours of the weekend. That would be something like 8-9 AM in Belgium. The homepage is no problem, but when clicking on new posts or threads, I get an error message.

This happens when using the following browsers: IE, Edge, FireFox and Tor.

Hope this helps.

Priller

I’m sorry to hear that and will pass this up to the admins.

Is Belgium not interested in football? Just a thought. I changed ISP some years ago when a tv “talent” show swallowed local bandwidth wholesale and I’m expecting similar on Tuesday when our lot play their next game.
    Tom

My problem is here but no issues when on a UK VPN even during footie!

That’s why I believe the problems are more local, since our server is US based. Britain having connection privileges on the SOH server over the US just doesn’t make sense.
    Tom

Nope, sorry HS. Tor is a browser that changes your IP from your locality through relaying, thereby guaranteeing anonymity. So when using Tor, I could be in Kuala Lumpur one moment, and in the US another one. there is also no problem whatsoever on my end. I have a broadband connection and my PC is clean and secure.

The problem is most definitely server/network on your end.

I really don't want to be rude or anything.

Priller

No offence taken! I’ve heard of Tor, but that very IP anonymity might flag up warnings on a server run by people with wits and intelligence. The late and much-missed Ickie would have treated that with great suspicion, I’m sure. That doesn’t explain problems with other browsers, though, so we’ll have to wait the admins responding.
    Tom

Hey Hairyspin,

I've read about Ickie. He was the server and network guy for SOH before passing away, wasn't he? I know he was much more to this community.

Not wanting to be disrespectful, but even Ickie would be unable to see through Tor. Tor is a Browser that was developed for the NSA. It evolved into something way much more than that. Tor has become a network of people signing in to use the browser and setting up relays/hosts. You connect to the internet through them. Even the best of network and server admins would not be able to see what is behind the host/relay that is connecting to their servers.

The NSA wanted it for untraceable communications and they got exactly that. But it exploded in their face. Nowadays even they can't trace the traffic.

I use it for online banking, for tests at work and in this particular case, to test the connectivity of the SOH servers. It allowed me to see whether the problems were limited to Belgium, my ISP or whatever. The problems weren't there. When I was experiencing problems connecting while surfing normally, I tried to connect through Tor via countries in most continents and all connections were refused because a) server load, b) network problems on your end. Most likely because of overload.

Let's just say that SOH's popularity is also a burden to you guys. Maybe it is the server, maybe it is the network connection. But it is definitely one of those two.

Priller

Ickie was for many years Mr Back Room on SOH. We have other highly able people on the admins today, but for years the buck stopped at Ickie’s desk and a thankless task it often was. The measure of the man was he always sorted it and you never heard about it publicly. Much missed.
    Tom

That's server guys for ya: always working, never getting the respect for it.

But if I were you guys, I would contact datapipe.com and have them check the box and network connection that SOH is working on. maybe you're not getting the service you're paying for!

EDIT: apparently datapite.com is called rackspace.com nowadays.

Cheers,

Priller

Further to the Tor discussion: it may make IP identification impossible, but I suggest a known user logged in and apparently browsing from London on first click, Genova on second, Brazilia on third and Windhoek fourth might not raise digital eyebrows? I’m no expert, nor do I know SOH operating procedures, but I think that might raise suspicion if security checks were set to look for such signs.

Just my tuppence ha’penny.
    Tom

Correct. But how are you going to have these checks done in an automated way without overcharging the server?

My two €cents in the discussion.

Priller

You’re asking the wrong man. I am from Barcelona...
    Tom

Members who have read this thread: 0