F11-F Tiger back at Millington

Thread: F11-F Tiger back at Millington

F11-F Tiger back at Millington

The F11-F Tiger that was on display on Navy Road was removed, repainted, and now relocated at the Millington Regional Airport (Old NAS Millington). The landing gears have been added.
    Some of you that were previously assigned here may remember this aircraft when it was in a different pose on Navy Road.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tigercat.jpg  

I was there for Navy AFUN 'P', Avionics and AT 'A' school in 1968. NATTC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blueangels-154b.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	61414
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    I was there for Navy AFUN 'P', Avionics and AT 'A' school in 1968. NATTC

There was a little sign under this plane,,,do you know what it says?
    I'm guessing just the name of the aircraft.

BTW, The viggie on a stick is still here in the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    There was a little sign under this plane,,,do you know what it says?
    I'm guessing just the name of the aircraft.

BTW, The viggie on a stick is still here in the same place.
    Sorry, no clue as to what the sign said. I only went over to 'Northside' once or twice. Once was to join a group at the enlisted club for several rounds and pitchers of beer. Only 19 at the time. Shh! don't tell anyone
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

I was there, just like Zippy, just a little later. '78-79, same schools but with AFTA added, and then again for AVI-C7 in '82.
    My first time, I distinctly remember that plane. I had a pink motorcycle Well, it started out red, but it was faded when I bought it. A Suzuki 500 2 stroke. Street Machine. Quick as heck, but topped out at only about 75. I would ride it all over the place, and I remember seeing that plane.
    I would go to Northside fairly often. I had 2 girl-friends (WAVE's), that loved to ride the horses on the trails, and looked awesome in bikini's at Navy Lake. We went nearly every weekend. Yes, the three of us. We shared a house in The Mud-Flats we brown-bagged to on my motorcycle if we didn't HAVE to be in the barracks for duty section, field day, or whatever. 3 on that bike was a bit of an adventure!

I don't recall, honestly, if the plane was there the second time I was there. I was married by then, no, neither of the two WAVES I mentioned, and had a child. Lived in a house on the same block as previously, however. I remembered that block very fondly
    Sightseeing wasn't a real high priority for me any longer. I'm going to presume it was there, but C7 was a hard school, and I stayed focused mostly on that, and caring for my family.

Great to see that bird back where it belongs, though. Thanks for the post!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    I was there, just like Zippy, just a little later. '78-79, same schools but with AFTA added, and then again for AVI-C7 in '82.
    My first time, I distinctly remember that plane. I had a pink motorcycle Well, it started out red, but it was faded when I bought it. A Suzuki 500 2 stroke. Street Machine. Quick as heck, but topped out at only about 75. I would ride it all over the place, and I remember seeing that plane.
    I would go to Northside fairly often. I had 2 girl-friends (WAVE's), that loved to ride the horses on the trails, and looked awesome in bikini's at Navy Lake. We went nearly every weekend. Yes, the three of us. We shared a house in The Mud-Flats we brown-bagged to on my motorcycle if we didn't HAVE to be in the barracks for duty section, field day, or whatever. 3 on that bike was a bit of an adventure!

I don't recall, honestly, if the plane was there the second time I was there. I was married by then, no, neither of the two WAVES I mentioned, and had a child. Lived in a house on the same block as previously, however. I remembered that block very fondly
    Sightseeing wasn't a real high priority for me any longer. I'm going to presume it was there, but C7 was a hard school, and I stayed focused mostly on that, and caring for my family.

Great to see that bird back where it belongs, though. Thanks for the post!
    Pat☺
    Those mud flats are long gone now. You probably would not recognize north/south side as all the wooden barracks and schools are gone . S-1 is gone. The pedestrian bridge that went over Navy road is gone. The Marine reserves have located from Memphis to on base Millington. They have some kind of motor pool of trucks and stuff. The Army on on board too with their vehicular toys as well. I think the powers that be decided to locate that F-11F on the North side closer to the control tower (Hornet Street) as a tribute to what was once a Naval Air Station - it's across the street from what once was AME "A" school -

Repair work done on F11

Found some pictures of the F11A undergoing repaint.
    At bottom of link, go to page two to see photos of F11A repaint project.
    http://www.blueangels.org/Aircraft/Stick/F11/Memphis/Stickm4_13.htm

Hey Gray Eagle! Haven't talked to you in a long time! NC

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Went to Navy school there as a AQ. Met my first girlfriend there too......The early '80's. Can't believe it's closed now. Brings back a lot of memories ....

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Went to Navy school there as a AQ. Met my first girlfriend there too......The early '80's. Can't believe it's closed now. Brings back a lot of memories ....
    If I were Navy, that's the rate I'd have come out of Millington an AQ.

Spent my career in the military, mostly, working F-4 N/J/S radar, first Aero-1A, and then AWG-10A/B/C.

I'd wager our schooling tracks were probably very similar, if not identical.

Did you go to AFTA or C-7? Just being nosey...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

If I were Navy, that's the rate I'd have come out of Millington an AQ.

Spent my career in the military, mostly, working F-4 N/J/S radar, first Aero-1A, and then AWG-10A/B/C.

I'd wager our schooling tracks were probably very similar, if not identical.

Did you go to AFTA or C-7? Just being nosey...
    Pat☺
    I can't remember if it was called the Hawg-9 or 10 - but I remember a picture of a pigs face with a parabolic dish on its nose and lettering below it
    had HAWG 9. Haven't seen it since.

Only one we ever got in Yuma was the HAWG-10. We had stickers our Westinghouse Tech Rep got us with that hog cartoon on them, and said "I aint 'fraid of no HAWG!"

When I first got there, we were on the Awg-10A, and the AWP/RFI ration was just incredible. We had 30 planes in the squadron, and I bet that we had 3 times that in complete radar systems, if you added all the AWP parts together. It seemed like every duty section weekend was a working weekend, since we had ex-reps up the yin-yang. All that magically changed when they finally ot the Hawg-10B in. Suddenly, we didn't have stacks of gear in the shop, and back in supply waiting for parts. Some, but nowhere near as many. It was WONderful!!

I went to school in El Toro for the Aero-1A, but they were phasing it out when I got assigned to the squadron. So, I learned as I went on the HAWG. 5 years later, they sent me to school on it, so they could finally change my MOS. All I had to do at school was make sure their benches were up every morning, and they day was mine. I knew the system better than the instructors. A nice, 3 month vacation in Virginia Beach NAS. Better than Yuma!. ANYwhere is better than Yuma.

I got assigned Corrosion Control shop for a year. I got elected to volunteer to run it. I managed to get an old Aero-1A antenna dish base, the part that holds the larger, mesh portion. We painted it up nice, and hung it on our wall. Said WC-69A Corrosion Control. Bring Your Gear Here. Best Care Anywhere! And, in smaller letters across the bottom, our motto, "Dirt is Our Buisiness!"

Anyway, that was the best use of a radar's BCM part I ever saw...
    Par
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Only one we ever got in Yuma was the HAWG-10. We had stickers our Westinghouse Tech Rep got us with that hog cartoon on them, and said "I aint 'fraid of no HAWG!"

When I first got there, we were on the Awg-10A, and the AWP/RFI ration was just incredible. We had 30 planes in the squadron, and I bet that we had 3 times that in complete radar systems, if you added all the AWP parts together. It seemed like every duty section weekend was a working weekend, since we had ex-reps up the yin-yang. All that magically changed when they finally ot the Hawg-10B in. Suddenly, we didn't have stacks of gear in the shop, and back in supply waiting for parts. Some, but nowhere near as many. It was WONderful!!

I went to school in El Toro for the Aero-1A, but they were phasing it out when I got assigned to the squadron. So, I learned as I went on the HAWG. 5 years later, they sent me to school on it, so they could finally change my MOS. All I had to do at school was make sure their benches were up every morning, and they day was mine. I knew the system better than the instructors. A nice, 3 month vacation in Virginia Beach NAS. Better than Yuma!. ANYwhere is better than Yuma.

I got assigned Corrosion Control shop for a year. I got elected to volunteer to run it. I managed to get an old Aero-1A antenna dish base, the part that holds the larger, mesh portion. We painted it up nice, and hung it on our wall. Said WC-69A Corrosion Control. Bring Your Gear Here. Best Care Anywhere! And, in smaller letters across the bottom, our motto, "Dirt is Our Buisiness!"

Anyway, that was the best use of a radar's BCM part I ever saw...
    Par
    Ah, yes, Tweaker, brings back memories of all the squadron "crud crew"s on old ESSEX and MIDWAY boiler boats. The Hangar Bays always had a couple of A-4s and F-8s being worked on as the result of all the sulphur etc. from the heavy stack gasses those ships made trying to make wind over deck. FORRESTAL and KITTYHAWK classes were much better, but corrosion control was still a big deal.

That Tiger's sister that was at the main gate of NAS Pensacola for decades is now at Discovery Park in Union City TN. We have a friend from out of town visiting and took her there a week ago. I was quite surprised to see it there. I went by it daily for about 4 years all together when I was stationed at P-cola. Discovery Park had quite the write up on the aircraft's history.

http://www.blueangels.org/Aircraft/S.../Stickm4_1.htm
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Members who have read this thread: 0