AH P-47D Released

Thread: AH P-47D Released

Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Ok, it's a great aircraft. I have one small gripe...Where's the rest of the loadout? If I'm not mistaken (which I am occasionally) there was another attach point inboard usually having a three tube rocket launcher. I think it was an M8 or M10?

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/URG/p47.html

Anyway, love the airplane. I'll tacpack it since it didn't come that way.
    Very Respectfully,

Fac Fortia Et Patere

Doc, as in Tacpack all the way with visual weapons? Trying to add more warbirds in my new P3D install, started with MV Corsair (TP ready) and heck it came with a vanilla MV P-38 (not working w/ TP). Model looks good for a Jug.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by docjohnson View Post
    Ok, it's a great aircraft. I have one small gripe...Where's the rest of the loadout? If I'm not mistaken (which I am occasionally) there was another attach point inboard usually having a three tube rocket launcher. I think it was an M8 or M10?

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/URG/p47.html

Anyway, love the airplane. I'll tacpack it since it didn't come that way.
    The three-tube rocket launcher appeared on the later "bubbles" not this one. They were retrofitted but then a whole swag of other options were too.

@Bazzar,

Ok, I'm not trying to be picky here. So please don't take this as such. The P-47 is superb. However, I'm pretty sure they were on earlier models that had the bubble top. I looked at a historical study that was done (Air Power at the Battlefront: Allied Close Air Support in Europe 1943-45 by Dr. Ian Gooderson):

I don't know if you can see this or not. The 9th AF fired over 13k of these rockets. I could not find a specific version of the D model referenced from a rocket standpoint other than this one and a Wikipedia article on the P-47:

"First deliveries of the P-47D-25 to combat groups began in May 1944. It was followed by similar bubble-top variants, including the P-47D-26, D-27, D-28 and D-30. Improvements added in this series included engine refinements and the addition of dive recovery flaps. Cutting down the rear fuselage to accommodate the bubble canopy produced yaw instability, and the P-47D-40 introduced a vertical stabilizer extension in the form of a fin running from the vertical stabilizer to just behind the radio aerial. The fin fillet was often retrofitted in the field to earlier P-47D bubble-top variants. The P-47D-40 also featured provisions for 10 "zero length" launchers for 5 in (127 mm) High-velocity aircraft rockets (HVARs), as well as the new K-14 computing gunsight. This was a license-built copy of the British Ferranti GGS Mark IID computing gyroscopic sight which allowed the pilot to dial in target wingspan and range, and would then move the gunsight reticle to compensate for the required deflection."

This was speaking of the HVAR. I'm talking about the 3 tube M10 launcher which from what I understand they basically strapped lengthened bazooka tubes with M8 rockets to jury-rigged attach points. I know for a fact the razorback jugs flew with the M10 as well (the A2A jug has them):

And therefore I'm somewhat baffled at the assertion that "The three-tube rocket launcher appeared on the later "bubbles" not this one."
    Could you please elaborate for my edification, what specific versions of the P-47 got the M-10 rocket launcher?

@Victory103 Yes, but that level of modification would require access the model source. As fond as I am of TMAP modifying aircraft, I prefer to work directly with the source model. I know its a detail thing...I've had it since childhood. This modification would be fairly easy as the tubes were fixed and Tacpack has a PseudoRocketSingle weapon that is extremely easy to code for as long as the launcher is there. I already did the A2A jug and this would be a piece of cake if the option for the model was there just like the bombs. So no hassles about visibility other than making the tube empty after firing. And frankly when I'm on a CAS run with rockets I don't look at the tubes I'm looking at the gunsight. As long as they are empty when I do the postflight then all is good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P47rockets.jpg   P47BazookaMounted.jpg  
    Very Respectfully,

Fac Fortia Et Patere

Please bazzar.......no fugly cluster tubes!
    I hate the bloody things and what they do aesthetically to any aircraft!
    It took me ages to get rid of them on previous releases of the '47 and '38, so I don't want to go through the pain once more.
    Doc is (probably) correct, given the USAAF habit of retro fitting all manner of iron to earlier aircraft, in this case it's like giving a Warthog a bad case of Acne!
    "The 9th AF fired over 13k of these rockets"........yes, but did they hit anything?

And a PS: Liking the big old Thunder-bucket!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Our old packs used to have them on those versions that were relevant. There are no plans to add a rocket tube carrying version this time around.

Finally, a bubbletop! But are bombs for FSX only?

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

"The 9th AF fired over 13k of these rockets"........yes, but did they hit anything?
    Heck, with those numbers, you gotta like the odds.
    They had to have hit SOMEthing. Other than the ground, of course
    Whether or not they hit any enemy equipment...Pilots have been known to ummm...exaggerate?... their accomplishments a little bit. Not outright lie, just...exaggerate

Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

No problem. All one can do is ask. Still a nice ship.

As for hitting things, yea, if you ever have had the privilege to be in combat, hitting the target, rocket or otherwise is a required thing in training, much more so in war. Unless you're a coward and want to turn and run, which I saw first hand in 1991. As for exaggeration, your wingman, and squadron mates usually don't let that happen; BDA by overhead and TACP/JTAC eyes on for the CAS stuff do as well.
    Very Respectfully,

Fac Fortia Et Patere

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

@jankees, nice repaints. Where are you storing them these days since OZx is down?
    Very Respectfully,

Fac Fortia Et Patere

nowhere yet, first need to finish them, but it will probably be here or at avsim.

jk3459

jk3472

jk3478

jk3479

I have taken the P-47 up a few times and am enjoying it. Landing it is certainly a challenge, especially if you don't have brake pedals as with full brakes it will nose over very easily.

One bug I did find in the in the aircraft.cfg file for the pro flight model the [Radios] section was missing, disabling the radios.

And if someone from AH/JF reads this please change the titles in the aircraft.cfg file from

title=P-47D...

to

title=Republic P-47D...
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Bought this bird and loving...but IMHO find that rotating effect for propeller and propeller hub, strange. Tried to see P47 real movies in YouTube and found nothing alike. They look a kind of fuzzy (hub). Just my opinion but it doesn't look real to me.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    Bought this bird and loving...but IMHO find that rotating effect for propeller and propeller hub, strange. Tried to see P47 real movies in YouTube and found nothing alike. They look a kind of fuzzy (hub). Just my opinion but it doesn't look real to me.

Regards
    I agree 100% with you. It's the reason I did not pick up this one. It's just to distracting to me (I fly in spot view most of the time).

The JF/AH P-47 prop hub looks like the prop blade is missing. I'm talking about the black circle on the prop hub on the JF/AH P-47
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F4U closeup.jpg   P-47 closeup.jpg   JF P-47 closeup.jpg  
    Greg :USA-flag:

This a truly beautiful model of the P-47D-25 with stunning detail in the graphics. Well done to all concerned. It's easier to fly than the old FS9 A2A versions and generally looks wonderful. But I have to agree the prop animation is a bit strange.

For me, as a painter though, there are some issues of accuracy. First, the only accurate models are the D-25/27 with the Hamilton Standard prop and stub-nosed prop boss; the D-26/28/30 had the Curtiss prop with a distinctive bullet-shaped prop boss. Also the D-30 had a dorsal fin fillet to improve yaw stability, and many other 25's and 28's had it fitted in theatre.

Finally, the size and positioning of the national insignia is incorrect (again IMHO); the wing insignia should be larger and the fuselage insignia further aft. If you look at JK's excellent repaint above, when the supercharger waste gate is open, the star is on the door; in reality only the forward bar was painted on the door.

I sincerely apologise if this sounds like rivet counting and carping, but this is a truly wonderful model that deserves to be as accurately rendered as it can be.

DaveQ

This was a D-30 from the 350th FG based at Pisa, Italy in 1945. So far just a test piece, transferred from the A2A paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Torrid Tessie.jpg  
    Last edited by DaveQ; July 6th, 2018 at 03:57. Reason: Added pic.
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Paul View Post
    I agree 100% with you. It's the reason I did not pick up this one. It's just to distracting to me (I fly in spot view most of the time).

The JF/AH P-47 prop hub looks like the prop blade is missing. I'm talking about the black circle on the prop hub on the JF/AH P-47
    It is a bit of a shame, the same issue as the Vertigo F6F, F8F, P36 and a whole bunch of First Class Simulations models. I wonder if it's patchable, or at least paintable? Still and all, it's a bubble-top Jug and overall it does look great for the price.

Ok Pilots, let us learn by the old book …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcGoc7P1MnA

And btw we get an idea about hub/propeller movements/animation….

Regards

That is indeed a very nice series of period footage on the Jug. Check out this one:

At 11:15, there is a technique for stopping the plane on the runway that must be unique on the P-47. Bootfull of rudder on one side making it turn 180. Only the Jug's wide gear spacing could pull something like this and still stay upright!

I've just upload my first three paints here and on avsim.

Members who have read this thread: 0