Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: JF/AH P-47 Thunderbolt is out!!

JF/AH P-47 Thunderbolt is out!!

Get it while it is hot!!

https://www.justflight.com/product/p...%20Thunderbolt

Cheers,

Priller

Icon9

Hold off downloading the application file. I just downloaded it 3 times & got no joy. Seems as though they have a problem. Downloads OK but it can"t be installed.

I just installed it without any problem. Just haven't flown it yet.

EDIT: flown, works like a charm!

Priller

Thanks for the info.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

LOL "....simpler Easy-Fly flight dynamics for those with less experience of this type of heavy high-performance aircraft"

-d

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    LOL "....simpler Easy-Fly flight dynamics for those with less experience of this type of heavy high-performance aircraft"

-d

It's anything but that. I found it quite challenging to fly.

In fact: how the hell did Gabreski get his kills with this???

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    It's anything but that. I found it quite challenging to fly.

In fact: how the hell did Gabreski get his kills with this???

Priller
    Maybe he selected the "Easy-Fly" option??

Really, no problems here with the download, install or a couple of flights this morning. Nicely done and lots of fun.

Thanks Baz and team, wherever you are...
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Downloaded and flying. long runway required for takeoff. Nice to finally have this model.

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Just wondering if AH modelled functional supercharger, turbo charger waste gate and intercooler controls on their Jug? I like the challenge of real world engine management in the 47.

Visually it looks great!

nice monster!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Now if some repainters could just make "Dottie Mae" Look like the real restored Beauty for this model...we'd be set!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5b309066d5fe8.image.jpg  

And the recently returned to the UK 'Nellie' would be cool too

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P47 Nellie.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by MustangL2W View Post
    Now if some repainters could just make "Dottie Mae" Look like the real restored Beauty for this model...we'd be set!
    Oh you mean these. Coming out on July 3rd before a certain birthday. Just got to write a " how to install liveries " manual. Free downloads, keep an eye on facebook and we'll post in here for the people that dont like facebook.

Restored version and a "barn find" as found version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails restored.jpg   unrestored.jpg  

Might as well throw my choice into the pot...

..at the Flying Heritage Museum - Tallahassee Lassie
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    nice monster!
    OZx seems to be down (for a long time).

Quote Originally Posted by pletheron View Post
    OZx seems to be down (for a long time).
    but the paint is not finished either. I'll let you know where to find it after I finish and upload it somewhere, OK?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post
    ... a "barn find" as found version .
    I’d keep my facemask on too, flying a Jug that crusty. Don’t let the CO see that!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I am finding this "Jug" a lot of Fun to fly. The "Fun" is in the challenge of the main model and the sensitivities it exhibits. I have about 5 hours flying it and maybe 30 Landings, Most to a Full-Stop because we know how Republic products like to eat up Runway rolling out. My Hat is off to AH for this airplane. So far, it was worth the wait!!

P.S. I cannot figure out how to get the Oxygen Mask to work...must not be modeled?? I have scoured the manual too...maybe I'm missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by MustangL2W View Post
    I am finding this "Jug" a lot of Fun to fly. The "Fun" is in the challenge of the main model and the sensitivities it exhibits. I have about 5 hours flying it and maybe 30 Landings, Most to a Full-Stop because we know how Republic products like to eat up Runway rolling out. My Hat is off to AH for this airplane. So far, it was worth the wait!!

P.S. I cannot figure out how to get the Oxygen Mask to work...must not be modeled?? I have scoured the manual too...maybe I'm missing something?
    It's a height based animation... if memory serves it's about 10000 feet, cant be sure as I'm on a different computer. You dont have control over it other than like icarus you fly too high.

Ha Ha Ha Ha...I hope NOT Like Icarus!!

Everything I've ever heard/read about the P-47 relates the flying characteristics to being an extremely smooth and stable flying aircraft, essentially the feeling of flying a jet. Pilots transitioning from flying the narrow-track Spitfire to the wide-track P-47 referred to the Thunderbolt as being a much easier aircraft to land - the P-47 is well known for tracking straight all the way down the runway on landing, as if "on rails".

With regard to the "as found/as recovered from the lake" version of Dottie Mae - when it was recovered, the forward ring around the cowling was almost entirely black, with only little remnants of the yellow paint remaining here and there. That black ring of course was part of the initial "ID" markings applied to all 8th and 9th Air Force P-47's (and P-51's) which included painting the forward ring of the cowling black, and adding black stripes/bands to the tail surfaces and wings. These stripes were later overpainted in different colors when the 8th and 9th AF officially adopted unit colors for the various Groups/Squadrons. Also, the red stripes on the tail surfaces of Dottie Mae had been painted yellow earlier on, and then painted red later, thus when the aircraft was recovered you could see areas of the earlier yellow paint poking through areas of the missing red paint, and black paint through areas of both missing yellow and red paint, since all had been applied over each other - black first, then yellow, and finally red.

Such a stunning restoration (no polishing either, just the same factory-new Alclad finish the metal had when new from the factory in 1944 as well). Note the black circle "period" behind the squadron code letters, which is original to the markings and often overlooked in artwork/depictions. That black circle/period is found in the same location on both sides of the aircraft, and it was part of the squadron codes on some of the other P-47's in the same squadron as well - it is thought that it was a way to differentiate between two different aircraft within the same squadron using the same code letters (like how in the 8th AF, they would underline the individual code letter on an aircraft if it had already been used on another aircraft already in use). They were just recently able to acquire a correct Curtiss-Electric propeller unit for the aircraft, the same type as it had originally, which should be installed in the near future - they are about as rare as hen's teeth, and none could be found in serviceable condition throughout the restoration until just last year. The Curtiss propeller unit of course is the type that had the pointy prop hub. Currently the aircraft is fitted with a Hamilton Standard unit, like all of the other currently operational P-47's (the Hamilton Standard prop unit being the only thing throughout the entire aircraft which isn't accurate to the way it was in 1945, besides lacking the original combat repairs/flak patches - which are planned to be replicated/added at some point as well). The aircraft is fitted with a Spitfire mirror, just as it had been while in service during WWII, functioning period radios and turbocharger. Note the darker panels along the bottom of the fuselage and around the turbo exit duct - on the P-47, much of the belly is covered in sheets of stainless steel, rather than aluminum, due to the heat of the turbo and exhaust ducting that internally runs the length of the belly.

BTW, the little yellow decal above the serial number on the tail is actually a Republic "Thunderbolt" trademark, which is original to the aircraft/as applied by Republic - Republic actually trademarked the name - a detail of which that had long been unknown until it was rediscovered on Dottie Mae. There is one of these decals on each side of the tail, replicated exactly as found (different designs left/right).

Last edited by Bomber_12th; July 2nd, 2018 at 10:16.

P-47 owner John Shoffner has some wonderful pilot POV videos flying his bubbtle-top P-47D "Wicked Wabbit":

Part 1 and Part 2 of flying at the Thunder Over Michigan airshow:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBVj4I3bHik
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CMTboX4OBw

A couple other flights:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppqOMtQtqno
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6o-1DVVQDc

John,
    Are you going to Oshkosh this year??
    I am in the process of completely overhauling my life just to try and make Oshkosh to see "Dottie Mae." It is just an absolute Have-to-See Warbird. The authenticity in this one is mind boggling. I saw John Penney with "Balls Out" there in 2016, and that is a very nice "Jug," but "Dottie Mae" is truly the Belle of the ball. "Sierra Sue II" is another one like that... You walk around them over and over looking at all the little details that just Wow you to death. They keep you coming back to them because they are just that incredible to see.

I think there will be some serious competition for Grand Champion at EAA this year. It is always tough when there are so many amazing restorations there to be judged and only one can be the Grand "Champ." Look at 2015 when you had Yagen's Mosquito, Air Corps' "Sierra Sue II," the Airpower FG-1D and the Muzala P-51B "Berlin Express" all in the running. No way could I have picked a Winner..... Those airplanes all blew my socks off.

Also... have you seen that EAA is getting the Catch-22 "Berlin Express" all painted and ready for the show?? I hope it gets done in time. Reminds me of when you did the "Dumper" and how much fun that project was. Still one of my "Prized" Warbirds that I am forever grateful for!!

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Hum, no Cuban eh?? Guess I'll wait in the Lounge with my Cigar and Rum lol.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Members who have read this thread: 2