JF/AH P-47 Thunderbolt is out!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JF/AH P-47 Thunderbolt is out!!

Where is the like button?!

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post

Really?
    Really, but it's horses of courses. It's like there is too much alpha channel and bumps. The non glossy paints are great.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Been loving the Jug.

Anyone working on or planning more repaints? Jankees? dvj?

I'm hoping someone would take an interest in doing "Tallahassee Lassie". Any takers??
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Really, but it's horses of courses. It's like there is too much alpha channel and bumps. The non glossy paints are great.
    Looks like it needs a Environment map with more color and contrast, and more light in the specular file, and slightly less reflection.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Looks like it needs a Environment map with more color and contrast, and more light in the specular file, and slightly less reflection.
    Now where IS that "like" button? The P-47, such an iconic WWII aircraft, deserves it.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Is it fixable?
    -- WH

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Is it fixable?
    Yes. You can replace the environment map or alter it, and the spec file can be darkened (the spec alpha as well if possible). The alpha channel is only active on the interior model so don't waste time trying to edit that for the external. On the restored Dottie Mae the spec metal is white which is why it shines so much.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Yes. You can replace the environment map or alter it, and the spec file can be darkened (the spec alpha as well if possible). The alpha channel is only active on the interior model so don't waste time trying to edit that for the external. On the restored Dottie Mae the spec metal is white which is why it shines so much.

DaveQ
    What stands out most for me are the red and yellow stripes/accents. They seem really washed out and almost semi-transparent.
    -- WH

The point of it all is that there is a paint kit. If people don't like certain aspects of a livery or texture effect, they can change it. It is all subjective. There is no "fix" per se. If you don't like the free liveries, don't download them.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    The point of it all is that there is a paint kit. If people don't like certain aspects of a livery or texture effect, they can change it. It is all subjective. There is no "fix" per se. If you don't like the free liveries, don't download them.
    Exactly. Well said Bazz.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Calm down, guys.

If people don't like certain aspects of a livery or texture effect, they can change it.
    No disagreement here assuming one knows what they're doing. I'm still learning which is why I ask questions.

If you don't like the free liveries, don't download them.
    Who said that?? I missed that post.

For the record, I love the P-47 and appreciate the free liveries and am hoping for more. Just a few, I'm not greedy.
    -- WH

Patience you must have...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Patience you must have...
    Yes, I do.. But sometimes I must raise my hand and get some attention...

It surprises me that after years of folks clamoring for a bubble top Jug, we now have one which is really a great product thanks to Baz and company.

Now that it's here, there is dead silence. Truly baffling.

Hopefully, there are more repaints in the works?

-- WH

As I said, patience. I'm currently on holiday AND uploading about a 1000 repaints that disappeared when aussiex was hacked. I only have an old laptop with me, so no painting, and when I get back, I will have limited time. Not what I would like, but that's life...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    As I said, patience. I'm currently on holiday AND uploading about a 1000 repaints that disappeared when aussiex was hacked. I only have an old laptop with me, so no painting, and when I get back, I will have limited time. Not what I would like, but that's life...
    Yes, I understand. You've been very busy. Guess I need to rephrase my comments.

I'm just surprised there are not more AH P-47D repaints by now from other talented painters.
    -- WH

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Yes, I understand. You've been very busy. Guess I need to rephrase my comments.

I'm just surprised there are not more AH P-47D repaints by now from other talented painters.
    Jankees is one of the most talented and prolific repainter in the community and he will, no doubt, give all the paint jobs we'll ever need! So I would hesitate to even enter the ring on this one. But for my own entertainment I've been working on this since the day it came out, averaging about 3 hours a day. First, the paint kit permits a massive range of shades and wear and tear so finding one that looks right to me is a continuing battle. Also the 4096x4096 single sheet per side format taxes my old rig running CS4.

Second, while the detail is beyond doubt among the best there is, there are flaws and they had to be researched and corrected as best I could. Most notable is the size and positioning of the national insignia; added to this, getting the fuselage insignia right was difficult because the intercooler doors seem (to this amateur eye) a tad too far aft and don't seem to operate as the real thing. I'm on version umpteenth and it still feels slightly wrong!

Third, for me at least, finding suitable subjects that I can do and interest me has taken time. One of the reasons is that, unlike the old A2A models, only the early D-25 has been modelled whereas for me at least, there are more interesting later 9th AAF D-28's and D-30's I would prefer to do.

Anyway this may see the light of day soon - 42-26465 'Rae' flown by Maj. Hal Shook, 506th FS, 404th FG Bretigny, France in August 1944. Lost to flak over Belgium on Boxing Day 1944. I need to chip the paintwork and review the spec for FSX and P3D (they're different) then maybe put out.

I've also done this one, copied over from the A2A version - Maj. Charles Gilbert's 'Torrid Tessie' from the 350th FG but it was a D-30 with dorsal fin fillet and a Curtiss prop.

So WH, all things considered, a lot of effort has to go into producing an accurate repaint for the AH Jug!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Torrid Tessie.jpg  
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Both Rae and Tessie were on my to-do list, so that's a good start!
    I agree on the intercooler doors, the stars and bars are wrong in the paintkit, and moving them did not quite feel right, either the tail was too short, the roundel too large or the doors too far to the rear, I wasn't sure. That was one of the reasons I put the P-47 on hold and started uploading instead..

At last here's 'Rae'. Hope you like it. Taken a long time to get a result I'm happy enough with. Jankees observations about the rear fuselage are right - the most likely thing is that the intercooler doors are slightly too far aft, making it very difficult to get the individual aircraft letter in correctly. I've toned down the shine on the bombs and added detail to the prop though these can be ditched if they don't appeal. Also I found that P3D reacts differently to FSX to the spec files so I've put separate texture folders in for each. Again, either will work in either sim; use which you like best.

Just uploaded here; should be available soon.

I'll now spend some time getting 'Torrid Tessie' up to the same standard before posting.

DaveQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot4.jpg  

At last here's 'Rae'. Hope you like it. Taken a long time to get a result I'm happy enough with. Jankees observations about the rear fuselage are right - the most likely thing is that the intercooler doors are slightly too far aft, making it very difficult to get the individual aircraft letter in correctly. I've toned down the shine on the bombs and added detail to the prop though these can be ditched if they don't appeal. Also I found that P3D reacts differently to FSX to the spec files so I've put separate texture folders in for each. Again, either will work in either sim; use which you like best.

Just uploaded here; should be available soon.

I'll now spend some time getting 'Torrid Tessie' up to the same standard before posting.

DaveQ
    Thanks, Dave. Looks great. I like.
    -- WH

Jankees is one of the most talented and prolific repainter in the community and he will, no doubt, give all the paint jobs we'll ever need! So I would hesitate to even enter the ring on this one. But for my own entertainment I've been working on this since the day it came out, averaging about 3 hours a day. First, the paint kit permits a massive range of shades and wear and tear so finding one that looks right to me is a continuing battle. Also the 4096x4096 single sheet per side format taxes my old rig running CS4.

Second, while the detail is beyond doubt among the best there is, there are flaws and they had to be researched and corrected as best I could. Most notable is the size and positioning of the national insignia; added to this, getting the fuselage insignia right was difficult because the intercooler doors seem (to this amateur eye) a tad too far aft and don't seem to operate as the real thing. I'm on version umpteenth and it still feels slightly wrong!

Third, for me at least, finding suitable subjects that I can do and interest me has taken time. One of the reasons is that, unlike the old A2A models, only the early D-25 has been modelled whereas for me at least, there are more interesting later 9th AAF D-28's and D-30's I would prefer to do.

Anyway this may see the light of day soon - 42-26465 'Rae' flown by Maj. Hal Shook, 506th FS, 404th FG Bretigny, France in August 1944. Lost to flak over Belgium on Boxing Day 1944. I need to chip the paintwork and review the spec for FSX and P3D (they're different) then maybe put out.

I've also done this one, copied over from the A2A version - Maj. Charles Gilbert's 'Torrid Tessie' from the 350th FG but it was a D-30 with dorsal fin fillet and a Curtiss prop.

So WH, all things considered, a lot of effort has to go into producing an accurate repaint for the AH Jug!!

cheers i was pondering about buying this

Having now diverted to another Republic offering, I made time to get 'Tessie' out as promised. Available here when approved by staff. Don't seem able to upload a screenshot atm, or keyboard return...…! DaveQ!

Just FYI but cant resist! P-47D in IL-2 BoB (beauty beast too!!!) from the yesterday's 3.007 patch. This on my desktop's wallpaper from now.

Second: https://i.imgur.com/gU4PHmg.jpg .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by zsoltquack View Post
    Nice BoB Jug! But Ai?
    Zsolt, its flyable for Battle of Bodenplatte, more:
    https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...comment-694176
    + Black Friday for older titles: click. Regards!

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Again! Sorry
    The new for desktop wallpaper... the last .

Members who have read this thread: 2