Better fly-by sounds in fs9?

Thread: Better fly-by sounds in fs9?

Better fly-by sounds in fs9?

I would like to have louder fly-by fs9 (tower view) sounds with good doppler effect. The best I have seen (or should I say "heard") is the sound set in the beta of the new Avro Tutor currently under development. An example would be fly-bys for the P-51 Mustang using the sound set in the library here. The sounds. including the distinctive gun-port whistle, are great; but the fly-by is disappointing as there is no change in pitch or volume as the aircraft approaches and passes the tower. Nigel Richards has found the solution for this with his Avro Tutor (beta). Anyone have suggestions?

In doing some research, I discovered a yet-to-be-released P-51 sound set from a Danish developer, Turbine Sound Studios. They have a beta demo on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...nd+set+for+fs9) but its almost two years old and still no release. Anyone know about this?

Hi,
    I just Googled 'doppler effect in FS9' and got this fshotseat.com/aiblast.asp .

It seems a pretty comprehensive site and may help you.

Andy.

fs9 sounds

any thing with nigel Richards name on it has brilliant tower view sounds, he flies in tower view ,I believe. all, barring one, piston payware sounds that I have are not good in tower view ,.most either sound like bees in a tin or wasps In a bag with far too much swish sound and not enough growl. I understand the sound cone in fs10 is not as good fore tower view sounds . in defence of sound makers I only fly em I don't know how they work,
    regards
    greycap

Yes, interesting, that FSHotSeat. Couple of unanswered questions: Says it will run only on Windows 98?! Does that mean compatibility mode? Also there is supposed to be a demo version or mode but I saw no place to download just that. There is a mention of Doppler effect and fly-bys. I do recall running something similar that added a lot of interesting sounds to the cockpit like sheet-metal flexing, brake friction noise, some wind noise, etc. It actually was kind of immersive but I lost track of that program somewhere. It appears this offers enhancements like that.
    Last edited by downwind; June 27th, 2018 at 06:57.

Here is an update for those who might be interested in the above-referenced sound set for the P-51 that was featured in a YouTube video. I received a reply from Turbine Sound Studios saying that their P-51/ fs9 project had been delayed due to the loss of some sound files, but that the project would be released in the near future. This company specializes in payware sound packages for a variety of aircraft, across several sim platforms.

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    I would like to have louder fly-by fs9 (tower view) sounds with good doppler effect. The best I have seen (or should I say "heard") is the sound set in the beta of the new Avro Tutor currently under development. An example would be fly-bys for the P-51 Mustang using the sound set in the library here. The sounds. including the distinctive gun-port whistle, are great; but the fly-by is disappointing as there is no change in pitch or volume as the aircraft approaches and passes the tower. Nigel Richards has found the solution for this with his Avro Tutor (beta). Anyone have suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by greycap View Post
    any thing with nigel Richards name on it has brilliant tower view sounds, he flies in tower view ,I believe. all, barring one, piston payware sounds that I have are not good in tower view ,.most either sound like bees in a tin or wasps In a bag with far too much swish sound and not enough growl. I understand the sound cone in fs10 is not as good fore tower view sounds . in defence of sound makers I only fly em I don't know how they work,
    regards
    greycap
    downwind, greycap et al,

Some very gracious comments Gentlemen, Thanks!

As I'll be around here for a couple of days, I'll try and make myself useful and start a 'Sound Workshop' thread later today. I will attempt to shed some practicle light on soundset creation with the hope of encouraging simmers to experiment with creating their own sound projects.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

I'm always willing to take "sound" advice!

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sounds creation for doppler realism

Just before we go dashing off to dedicated 'sound threads' , let's try and solve downwind's initial question - re acheiving a convincing doppler effect in 'Tower View' mode:

As downwind has already correctly remarked, the doppler effect is only of any relevance to sounds being heard in Tower View where the distance, velocity and attitude of the aircraft relative to the viewer is in constant change.

Four factors influence the effectiveness of realistic doppler sounds in FS9:

1) Sound recording (wav.) file.

2) Soundset cfg.file entry of exterior wav.(s) being played

3) Velocity of Aircraft

4) Aicraft's heading relative to viewer

Sound Recording (wav.)

The reason FS9 stock aircraft fail to sound realistic in Tower View is mainly due to the fact that most, if not all of the sound recordings used in default sounds were originally recorded from STATIC aircraft on the ground. This results in sounds completely different from the same aircraft when heard in the air.

Sound cfg.file

The element which determines the speed a sound wav. file will play at any given throttle setting is the rparam entry (see example 1). This consists of 2 paired sets of numbers. The First pair govern the lowest speed at which the sounds will be played. the second pair determine the maximum speed at which you will hear the specific sound.

Example 1.

[COMBUSTION.1.16]
    filename=xrpm14
    flags=0
    viewpoint=2
    rparams=0.350000,0.600000,0.990000,0.980000
    vparams=0.300000,0.000000,0.350000,89.000000,0.430 000,98.000000,0.500000,198.000000,0.650000,228.000 000,0.700000,398.000000,0.820000,498.000000,0.9300 00,598.000000
    link=COMBUSTION.1.17

Thus: 0.350000, (35% throttle) will play at a speed of 0.600000, (60% of normal wav. speed)

and

0.990000, (99% throttle) will play at a speed of 0.980000 (98% of normal wav speed)

The above example displays almost 40% difference in play speeds between lowest and highest settings and will also enhance the contrast in sounds between a departing or approaching aircraft.

Aircraft Velocity in sim

The built-in velocity enhancement of FS9 will further exaggerate your rparams entry, the faster the aircraft is flying. The balance is found only through trial and error testing and re-editing your rparams until you are satisfied with the results.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Members who have read this thread: 0