G7-C1AX New Repaints

Thread: G7-C1AX New Repaints

G7-C1AX New Repaints

I was asked by a member to do a repaint of the C1A Trader that was stationed aboard USS Constellation CV-64 in 1978. In the two of us hunting for photos to use for the repaint we found that in 1977 there was a different C1A assigned aboard and we found actually 4 photos of the two different COD's. So, I decided that I would do both of them. Here is the first repaint, 12 December 1978 photo reference. The reg. no. is 146041 and the modex 000. The photo was taken this afternoon using CCP to put the C1A on the deck of the VEH_CV64 which btw (thanks to Motus) is working great for me. You can click on the thumbnail and see the aircraft on deck of the Connie. When I completed the repaint this afternoon I left it off the tail thinking it was not there but it is actually hidden by the horizontal stab. Only 6 digit registration numbers on the tail are visible even from underneath the a/c. This was discovered after maybe looking at 100 C1A photos (not kidding) and only 2 actually did not have a tail number: one at NAS Cubi Point in 1968 and the other VRC-40 at Atsugi, Japan. All the others did and then CV64 Condor found a photo showing a nice side shot like my photo he sent to me so it was a no brainer...tail number. I sent him a corrected file. Will continue this thread for a while with some new and interesting C1A COD repaints that I have found that have not been done by anyone before. (Teaser---like "Cecil" from can ya guess where???)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C1A COD Constellation.jpg   C1A 6041 aboard CV64 CCP.jpg   Pride of The New at NAS North Island.jpg  

USS Constellation C1A Repaint File

You can download the repaint file here in the Warbirds Library.

Next Repaint

Here is the next repaint in the series I expect to do for the Grumman C1A Trader. This is from a photo taken at NAS Patuxent River in 1975. I thought that it was identical to the repaint in the G7-C1AX download but there were a number of differences with the tail and wingtips which I did by hand to my created basic paintkit of the Trader in just all Gray with only NAVY on it.

I have been unable to find an exact date when 146027 was transferred to VRC-40 stationed at NAS Norfolk but there are photos of her taken onboard AVT-16 USS Lexington the training carrier for Naval Aviation Cadets at NAS Pensacola.

Eurostar350 did a repaint for this version in both FSX and FS9 and its available here in the Warbirds library with an update so that the cowls are not black as they are in the thumbnail below. I tried to delete the thumbnail but have not been able to. Sorry Eurostar350. Since you did the final repaint for 146027 I'm going to move onto my next repaint installment which will be at NAS Cecil Field. "Stay tuned to this channel."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C1A 146027 at NAS PAX River 1975.jpg   Grumman_C-1_wings_folded_aboard_USS_Lexington.jpg   146027 vrc40-1.jpg  

New Upload In Warbirds Library

I just uploaded the NAS Patuxent River 1975 texture to the library. I just did a Google and you can also find a few different versions of the air station online MAIW and Flyaway Simulation to name two locations. I am not sure if the MAIW includes Webster NOLF or not.

Love the repaints! I remember that C-1A at Pax River when I was there in the mid-1970s. I was a A-7 Plane Captain, and would see that C-1A taxi out on sorties all the time. Don't remember the NAS Cecil Field C-1A, but I worked on Corsair II's on the other end of Cecil Field when that aircraft was there. Nice! NC

PAX River Fix

I'm looking at the photo I pasted and saw that the wing was not right. Somehow the progressive file was uploaded without the right wing orange panel. In my FSX it is correct but the texture folder I was working on didn't for some reason get the update. Anyway, I have three files that need to be copied into the texture folder if you download it and they are in this dropbox. I apologize. That's what happens when you are repainting on the "mid-watch" when you should have been sleeping like normal people. LOL.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cpuxiorbix...20Fix.zip?dl=0

I Didn't Forget This Thread

Actually, I have been repainting but my results are in a couple different threads. I get sidetracked easily if I get excited about another project. This past weekend I went back to this thread though with a US2A which was not part of the G-7 Projects but actually a predecessor of them. I ran across it by accident actually a Marine version which I also have a couple interesting photos of I will add here later. I spent over 20 years involved with the Navy in the Ninth Naval District which is known for Great Lakes Training Center and also NAS Glenview (now gone except for the Hanger One Museum). I never knew that part of Selfridge AFB outside of Detroit across the lake (Michigan) was also NAF Detroit. From 1976 to 1990 a P3 squadron VP-93 was stationed there. I only was aware of VP-60 and VP-90 which were at Glenview which I was part of in OPCON 7V1. Well, anyway that is the introduction. From two photos I found 136486 and 136504, here is my effort at recreating 504. I couldn't read the nickname of 486 on the nacelle but "The Wolverine" was very clear on 504.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NAF Detroit 504 US2A.jpg  

Brilliant paints. Thanks!
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Paraphrase

I thank you for the compliment. I am going to paraphrase Hannibal of the A-team (those of us old enough to remember) "I love it when a PAINT comes together". I am going to upload this to Warbirds Library to share with ya'all here. You need to download the US2A though from Simviation here:

https://simviation.com/1/search?subm...A.zip&x=10&y=7 this is NOT native FSX so I don't know how the P3D'ers will fare but it works perfectly in FSX Acceleration and the readme of the original says it is FS2004/FSX with a thanks to A.F.Scrub for his modifications to the model. if the P3Ders have a problem a suggestion: it comes with the ST-Tracker Cabinet in the panel so maybe you can sub the panel from from the FSX native G7-C1AX COD available here if you don't have it already and use it in all versions of P3D. If I am correct, the gauges are the kicker in P3D. If I am wrong, I don't have P3D, somebody correct me so I don't put out "bum skinny".

I have a whole folder full of cool US-2A and C1A photos to choose the next one now that I am through with the P-3Cs and the Grumman Goose repaints at least for a while. Who knows I may even get out of the "paint fumes" in the hanger and fly for a while. LOL.

MCAF Kaneohe Bay

Marine Corps Air Station Kaneohe Bay or MCAS Kaneohe Bay is a United States Marine Corps airfield located within the Marine Corps Base Hawaii complex, formerly known as Marine Corps Air Facility Kaneohe Bay or Naval Air Station Kaneohe Bay.

This afternoon I put together a new texture from photos that I had downloaded when this thread started to use later which is NOW.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails US-2A MCAS Kaneohe Bay 1975.jpg   US2A MCAF Kaneohe Bay.jpg  

Marine Corps Air Station Kaneohe Bay or MCAS Kaneohe Bay is a United States Marine Corps airfield located within the Marine Corps Base Hawaii complex, formerly known as Marine Corps Air Facility Kaneohe Bay or Naval Air Station Kaneohe Bay.
    Also, among the Air Wing Marines (Come swing with the wing!) as K-Bay.

I came within a gnat's whisker of getting sent there. Had a whole, big discussion with a S1 Corporal about it. I had 1 year left to discharge, and to go to K-Bay, you have to have 2. He said I was refusing orders, and I said I just wasn't going to extend for a year. We went round and round like that for a few minutes, until the Squadron Legal Officer, a really pretty young Captain I had a few times... AHEM!... Came into the office. I called her over, told her the situation, and asked her advice. Acting like I didn't know her was NOT an easy thing, either...
    Anyway, she told the Corporal to shut up and leave the Sergeant alone, and cut him different orders. He was mad as a wet hen, too. My smug grin didn't help much, either, I guess. So, I got a week to check off the base for an unaccompanied to Beaufort. Jerk.
    He even tried to give me an RE-3.0 code, a bad re-enlistment code that would have prevented my re-enlisting if I had wanted to, in my SRB for refusing orders. Back to the Squadron legal officer we went. With the squadron SgtMaj. A hell of a man, named McDermott. The Corporal got reamed by the Legal Officer, and then SgtMaj McDermott took over. Never raised his voice, but the Corporal was nearly in tears when he got done...
    And there went my RE-3.0 code. The corporal wound up loosing a stripe for his vindictiveness.

So, there's my K-Bay story, for what it's worth.
    Great looking plane, too! Thanks for the paint job.
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

When I was in HI

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Also, among the Air Wing Marines (Come swing with the wing!) as K-Bay.

I came within a gnat's whisker of getting sent there. Had a whole, big discussion with a S1 Corporal about it. I had 1 year left to discharge, and to go to K-Bay, you have to have 2. He said I was refusing orders, and I said I just wasn't going to extend for a year. We went round and round like that for a few minutes, until the Squadron Legal Officer, a really pretty young Captain I had a few times... AHEM!... Came into the office. I called her over, told her the situation, and asked her advice. Acting like I didn't know her was NOT an easy thing, either...
    Anyway, she told the Corporal to shut up and leave the Sergeant alone, and cut him different orders. He was mad as a wet hen, too. My smug grin didn't help much, either, I guess. So, I got a week to check off the base for an unaccompanied to Beaufort. Jerk.
    He even tried to give me an RE-3.0 code, a bad re-enlistment code that would have prevented my re-enlisting if I had wanted to, in my SRB for refusing orders. Back to the Squadron legal officer we went. With the squadron SgtMaj. A hell of a man, named McDermott. The Corporal got reamed by the Legal Officer, and then SgtMaj McDermott took over. Never raised his voice, but the Corporal was nearly in tears when he got done...
    And there went my RE-3.0 code. The corporal wound up loosing a stripe for his vindictiveness.

So, there's my K-Bay story, for what it's worth.
    Great looking plane, too! Thanks for the paint job.
    Pat☺
    After a year of school after RTC Great Lakes, I spent the next 3 years aboard the CVA-66 USS AMERICA now an assault USS AMERICA. After I got back from the second tour in Vietnam on her, I met my wife and we got married. Honeymoon was in HI courtesy of my parents. Being in the active reserve at NAS Glenview, I took us on all kind of base tours including MCAF Kaneohe Bay.

When we were waiting for the tour boat to go out to the Arizona Memorial, a 26' MWB pulled up to the pier and I went over and talked with the coxswain who took my new wife and I personally out to the memorial in the whaleboat. She was impressed! I am glad that you liked the repaint. It doesn't look difficult and I am not bragging at all. I chose it because of the challenge of the tailcode and the nose number both handiwork "not out of the box". I am going to do another you might like, MCAS Cherry Point NC a hop, skip and jump away from home here. My good friend who I used to fly with (he flies with the angels now) daughter married a pilot who is stationed there. We get Osprey's over the house all the time and C-17's time to time from Charleston AFB. I always run out to the front porch and try and catch them. The prettiest site once was a formation of four Ospreys. WOW! Watch the post here for Cherry Point.

Richard
    6 yrs - USN - RD2
    12 yrs - USNSCC - LCDR

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CVA_66_sm.png  

Icon9 MCAS Cherry Point

Here is my repaint for the US2A at MCAS Cherry Point in 1972. The scenery is MAIW Cherry Point Harriers which I did not install the ai for AV8Bs not being there yet according to my sources. They DID come though with a Training Squadron a couple years later. My source was a photo at the "Boneyard" the only one I could find on the whole internet. Always makes me cry when I visit the boneyard all the aircrafts rotting away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails US2A MCAS Cherry Point.jpg  

The basic C-1A / US-2 series was a ubiquitous airplane for Navy / Marine aviation. Not all of them were always kept to be carrier capable (ie, not kept up for carrier use), but frequently used as air station "hacks" in the period where the C-47/C-117 was phased out, waiting for the eventual utility replacement which ultimately was the Beech C-12B.

I doubt there were many station hacks that had pilots that were kept carrier qualified in type. If people or stuff needed to go out to a nearby carrier, a VRC det or ship assigned C-1A did the job.

US-2s were heavily utilized in the Training Command - mult-engine pipeline for advanced phase carrier quals.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    The basic C-1A / US-2 series was a ubiquitous airplane for Navy / Marine aviation. Not all of them were always kept to be carrier capable (ie, not kept up for carrier use), but frequently used as air station "hacks" in the period where the C-47/C-117 was phased out, waiting for the eventual utility replacement which ultimately was the Beech C-12B.

I doubt there were many station hacks that had pilots that were kept carrier qualified in type. If people or stuff needed to go out to a nearby carrier, a VRC det or ship assigned C-1A did the job.

US-2s were heavily utilized in the Training Command - mult-engine pipeline for advanced phase carrier quals.
    Probably had VRC from NAS Norfolk fly down and get what needed to get to the carrier or else the MCAS pilots got flight time flying to Norfolk to get their flight time in for monthly flight pay. Quite a number of our onboard officers were pilots though not squadron assigned on CVA-66 and would take "Miss America" into Danang to get their flight pay hours. I got a few rides back and forth this way in the COD when an LCDR friend of mine in CIC got to fly the mail etc. or pick up a new replacement.

Yes - for a long time, when C-1s were assigned to ships, it was often flown by some of the senior officers in ship's company who were typically S-2 or E-1B squadron types previously. Also, many of the junior ship's company types in Ops or the Air Department were also similarly detailed.

When I was a flight instructor in F-9s, CQ for all the basic /advanced students (jet and prop) occurred monthly. The US-2/TS-2 VT squadrons at Corpus would run down to Beeville and Kingsville, pick up various squadron LSOs and fly them out to the LEX in the Gulf with their trusty TS-Bs / US-2Bs. They were flown by their squadron instructors, who got to bag traps that way.

Got the AI to work

I was scratching my head all night why no AI. I redid the Traffic file that comes with the MAIW so that there were F4s, A4s and C-130s at Cherry Point so that it was in tune for the time of the US2A in the 1960s-1970s but no AI. I remembered a thread at FSDevelopers about not mixing FS9 and FSX Traffic files especially WOAI though one or the other works but not both in the World Scenery so I deleted all the WOAI since I no longer use them in Europe where I once flew in FlybeVA. Lo and behold:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking aft.jpg   Across to the right.jpg  

Where can I find these repaints? Please...
    USAFVET
    12 year USAF veteran , Air Trans
    "Life is like herding cats through a fish market".

Flight Sim ADD

Apologies to all for my being remiss in not uploading these. I have been busy beta testing the GAS Stearman with the GAS team and when not testing I have been bouncing between the B-24D---A26B and C---and a couple of airport sceneries until 1AM for a few nights. I will get them uploaded here. I thought that I uploaded the one for the Constellation's COD but maybe not that one either. I will get to it next week, got a busy weekend with birthday parties Saturday and Sunday.

Flight Sim ADD

Found I've got a little time so I will upload them in a little while after i complete the readme for each of them and add the thumbnails to the texture files.
    I just uploaded them to the Warbirds Library and they will be available for download from the FSX Military Repaints section as soon as an administrator approves them. Enjoy.
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; August 24th, 2018 at 12:36.

Looking forward to your uploads.
    I recently got the SWS Midway add-on - hoping I can learn some basics of carrier ops in this aircraft.

Carrier Quals

Don't forget to download vLSO and install it. You start practicing at FCLP Fields with your vLSO. I think that Carquals were in the T-28 Trojan. You can get Piglets free online or Ant makes a superb payware version as long as you're not flying P3DV4. He has a free download but its an underpowered T28A not a B or C which is what the Navy used. of course you can use the US2A definitely if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Don't forget to download vLSO and install it. You start practicing at FCLP Fields with your vLSO. I think that Carquals were in the T-28 Trojan. You can get Piglets free online or Ant makes a superb payware version as long as you're not flying P3DV4. He has a free download but its an underpowered T28A not a B or C which is what the Navy used. of course you can use the US2A definitely if you want to.
    I point out that in a prop, one difference is that they take a"cut" at the ramp and a "high dip" - yes, even up to the last days of their use. Totally different from a jet landing. The Turboshaft E-2/C-2 do not take a cut and dip - they are flown like a jet. The Mirror/FLOLS had "cut lights" on top for this. They are still maintained (last I knew) for barricade arrestments - you take a cut going into the barricade vice going to full power. Obviously no good idea trying to go around with it wrapped around you --

thank you

Thanks, Mike71. I always appreciate your real life inputs to our flight sim threads. My experience landing on a "flat top" is strictly in the sim though as you know I had 1000's of real landings and takeoffs "over my head" LOL. My jobs were to be sure none of those guys got lost on the way back to the boat until CATCC took over and then Marshall and last deployment in Southeast Asia was keeping CTF 77/Cardiv 2 up to date with everything that was going on. Busy watches!

Members who have read this thread: 1