DC-3 stuff - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DC-3 stuff

C117 subject of change in the modern panel

Hello everyone, this is my first participation in the forum. My favorite aircraft is the C117, I have a subject of change in the modern panel, I'm sorry if it's difficult, as I do not know programming I have no idea of the difficulty.
    As we have carburetor heat switch on the top panel the control on the console could be used for cowl flaps. In my aircraft I made changes to panel deleted items that are from basler only, already gave a better appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    Great, thanks Alan, see you in the VVC forum. Give me a few days. Have just added altitude callouts...
    its ok if i upload the file to the lib? Sir i only have the p3d v4 sdk right now once i get the fsx one done i can upload it
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

I'll alert Jan to this thread.

We have a long wish list for a V 3.15, and the items mentioned (DC-3 exterior/interior, AP etc) are included. Currently, apart from the occasional minor tweak the project is basically dormant until further notice.

Yes, I noticed the cowl flaps switches are missing in the MVC (modern VC), don't really know where they were in the C-117. We can get the revised 'trail' functionality via the Monitor panel.

That modern virtual cockpit from the C-117D is not really correct for a piston powered DC-3/C-47 or C-117. It was borrowed from the turbo-prop C-47. The V3 C-47 cockpit is already very nice. I'll reiterate, to make it a modern cockpit, the removal of the non-functioning Sperry autopilot and replacing it with a GPS is all that is really necessary.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Hiya,

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    That modern virtual cockpit from the C-117D is not really correct for a piston powered DC-3/C-47 or C-117. It was borrowed from the turbo-prop C-47. The V3 C-47 cockpit is already very nice. I'll reiterate, to make it a modern cockpit, the removal of the non-functioning Sperry autopilot and replacing it with a GPS is all that is really necessary.

Requested this also some time ago to Jan, basicly replace the autopilot area with a seperate VC window entry (1024x1024) were you can add your own gauges. For example modern radio's doesn't even have to be a AP or GPS.

For example to get something like the PH-PBA:

Cheers!

Marcel

Well, there are probably as many layouts as there are operators. I was thinking along the lines of this pic, which shows the final state of an actual C-117, and maybe the bird that we have in our hand is not too unreasonable an approximation, at least while we are waiting for the perfect replica.

I'll reiterate, to make it a modern cockpit, the removal of the non-functioning Sperry autopilot and replacing it with a GPS is all that is really necessary.
    Not sure I totally agree (for reasons I'll explain) - but if we're now talking about alterations to the vintage VC, there are a couple of different variations possible.

My problem with just sticking a GPS into the VVC is that I doubt anybody would just do that and leave the rest of it untouched. But... how about a handheld GPS (the default Garmin 295) that could be stuck on the glareshield and toggled on and off, maybe via a clickspot. A2A does something similar in their GA aircraft and in the T-6. That would give us a fully vintage aircraft with a plausible bit of portable tech stuck in - sort of the way restored warbirds are flown from place to place with a GPS that might come out during the airshow. (A limitation, though - that wouldn't allow use of any of the third-party GPS units, just the default).

Or, there could be a panel-mounted GPS and maybe varying degrees of updates to the panel textures and gauges (e.g. a blue-and-brown attitude indicator). Textures could either stay mostly worn, as in Manfred's C-117 pic (but the panel is clearly newer than everything around it) or wind up very clean, as in the PH-PBA cockpit shot in Marcel's post.

The added advantage of modding the VVC is that there wouldn't be any disconnect between the interior and exterior model. With the C-117 you've got a one-piece windshield in the VC, but of course the C-47 exterior has the two-piece windshield. Not a big deal, but there's a slight immersion glitch when you bolt the two of them together.

I have no idea how much work is involved in any of these suggestions so of course I'm happy to defer to Manfred and Jan about what can actually be done. Just throwing this out here in the spirit of brainstorming. Hope it makes sense.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

I would second the motion for a removable 295 on the glare shield.

Is there any chance the Sperry auto pilot will ever get finished?
    I really enjoy using the vintage autopilots that are out there (A2A Connie, etc.)

I agree with the idea that nobody would install a Garmin GTN 750, and then not touch anything else.

One thing I would question in the OP's cockpit is the size of the display, according to Garmin the 750 has a display size of
    6.25"W x 6.00"H and the one in the pic looks much bigger than that (certainly wider).
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstreak View Post
    I really enjoy using the vintage autopilots that are out there (A2A Connie, etc.)
    I have to say - and this is probably just me - that the A2A Connie has given me a deep and lasting hatred for the Sperry A-3. Fiddly damn thing - you spend the whole flight tweaking the knobs and trying to damp out the hyperactive elevator.

Am much happier with the Sperry A-12 in the PMDG DC-6 (though they've probably made it too reliable) or the Eclipse-Pioneer in the A2A Stratocruiser.

Like I said - just a personal take.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Well, there are probably as many layouts as there are operators.
    Manfred, you never spoke a truer word. I remember a huge discussion, probably at CalClassic, about the merits of various DC3 models, just before yours came on the scene. Someone was demanding a panel "with the standard Douglas layout" and it became very clear that that animal simply did not exist. Even within an airline there were variations. There was a major crash in Egypt, because the airline had added five second-hand DC-3s to its existing five. On those five the carb heat control worked in the opposite direction to the first five. Rather than fix the controls, the airline simply told its crews to be careful of the difference. Sure enough, towards the end of a day-long milk run type of flight, a very experienced pilot who had always used the other type moved the lever forward as he had been doing for take-off for years, but that meant carb heat was on, so detonation set in and the plane lost power and crashed. They were still too near the ground to recover in time.
    Even the inspecting officer thought he was 'checking manually that his mouth was open before inserting toothbrush' when he looked to see if forward meant 'off' as it did on every other DC-3 he had ever seen, but it meant the opposite. So with throttles, prop pitch, mixture and carb heat levers all forward, the plane took off and crashed seconds later.

ATB, looking forward to more of your wonderful work.

MikeW

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus N210MS View Post
    its ok if i upload the file to the lib? Sir i only have the p3d v4 sdk right now once i get the fsx one done i can upload it
    Looking forward to an FSX version...thanks.

Beautiful Russian video

Beautiful Russian video recording checklist, departure and landing with updated cockpit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK_rydNXu5M

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus N210MS View Post
    Okay, I have had some feedback from Jan. We both agree that we cannot give any kind of blanket permission for a package that we are only seeing screenshots of. We understand the GTN is a payware addon, but we don't have it. So, while we don't usually object to repaints or tweaks the responsibility for the integrity and validity of the files including any troubleshooting must rest with the uploader.

To clarify further, if "the file" to be uploaded consists of tweaks to the panel.cfg (for instance), you could post the contents verbatim here (it's done all the time). If, on the other hand, you are making changes to the plane's systems code or planning to include third-party items you would indeed have to get our explicit permission, and we won't give it lightly. Don't mean to be obstructive, but we need to be wary here.

To clarify further, if "the file" to be uploaded consists of tweaks to the panel.cfg (for instance), you could post the contents verbatim here (it's done all the time). If, on the other hand, you are making changes to the plane's systems code or planning to include third-party items you would indeed have to get our explicit permission, and we won't give it lightly. Don't mean to be obstructive, but we need to be wary here.
    https://www.facebook.com/46816386696...5082508601988/
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

Members who have read this thread: 1