X-Plane Screenshots - Page 16
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 689101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Plane Screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Wiki says that the critical altitude of the "E" was around 12000 ft.

And interestingly enough, soviet P-40 drivers say that it was indeed a match for Bf-109s until the later stages of the war.
    A lot of Bf-109 F/G drivers found that out the hard way by getting into a turning fight with a P-40.

You are correct that the critical altitude for a P-40E is around 12,000 ft which is to say that is where the engine can generate max power for that altitude. It is due to the Allison Engine with a single stage supercharger. The Merlin versions (P-40F and P40L) had a critical altitude of around 20,000 ft.

The P-40 service altitude is actually around 29,000 ft. I would not try to dog fight at that altitude. All you can do is dive.

The Allision P-40s were optimized to operate from 11,000 ft to around 16,000 ft. Unfortunately, the air war in Europe and the Med was from 10,000 ft up to 26,000 ft. P-40 drivers oftentimes had to withstand an ambush attack from somebody higher up. If they survived the initial attack, they could out turn and outdive just about anything. (Note: the exception is the Japanese Zero, which could out turn almost anything at speeds under 150 mph.)

Reading the history of the airwar in the Med, the Allied solution was to put up some Spitfire Vc's , IX's or VIII's at much higher altitudes to take care of any would be attackers. That changed everything.

I'm hoping to soon be able to show you some shots of my Brewster Buffalo, being brought to XP11 by Dom Henry. I didn't want to show it to you until it was approaching the final stages of development but I think we're getting there. In the meantime...

VSL He162... not the kind of afterburner you want...too heavy handed on throttle

Khamsin B-17

Khamsin B-25

Matt

Shinden

X-Trident Tornado

Sea Hawk

MLADG Yak3

Matt

WIP.This is the RAF Buffalo. There are USN paints, Dutch paints and now a Finnish paint (Dom posted a shot of that in in the thread "what did you fly today" over on x-plane org). The last build I had had a switch that changed features of the external model between the RAF B339E and USN F2A-2. Dom is now working on an additional switch option for the Finnish paint. I will show some of the others when I get the next build. This is the default repaint...488sq RNZAF, Squadron Leader Noel Sharp, Singapore 1941.

Matt

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Radioman123 View Post
    A lot of Bf-109 F/G drivers found that out the hard way by getting into a turning fight with a P-40.
    Then again a turning fight in a 109 is always in invitation to that.

Are you planning on doing other P-40 models as well?

Quote Originally Posted by MDIvey View Post
    VSL He162... not the kind of afterburner you want...too heavy handed on throttle
    Slow and easy does it.

Save for the horrendous fuel consumption at low level, I found the 162 not really difficult to fly when enough common sense was applied.

Smile P-40 e/f wip

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Then again a turning fight in a 109 is always in invitation to that.

Are you planning on doing other P-40 models as well?

Slow and easy does it.

Save for the horrendous fuel consumption at low level, I found the 162 not really difficult to fly when enough common sense was applied.

At the moment, I am concentrating on getting a high quality model of a P-40 E and a P-40 F. Once that is done, I will look at other variants, most probably a P-40 N. First things first. There is a long way to go on the P-40 E. I have most of the main gear modeled correctly but even that job is not finished as we speak. I still have to get in and do a good job on the 3-D cockpit. Then there are the high quality paints - not started yet.

The 162 looks like fun and frustrating at the same time.
    Last edited by Radioman123; September 22nd, 2020 at 17:54. Reason: spelling

Here are some pre-war USN paints we've done for the Buffalo project...

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Radioman123 View Post
    At the moment, I am concentrating on getting a high quality model of a P-40 E and a P-40 F. Once that is done, I will look at other variants, most probably a P-40 N. First things first. There is a long way to go on the P-40 E. I have most of the main gear modeled correctly but even that job is not finished as we speak. I still have to get in and do a good job on the 3-D cockpit. Then there are the high quality paints - not started yet.
    Rome wasn't build in a day. Take your time.

The 162 looks like fun and frustrating at the same time.
    On my last flight, I ran out of fuel on final and crashed into a lake because that thing doesn't glide. So yes, it's a bit of an adventure.

Buffalo Project

Here are some pre-war USN paints we've done for the Buffalo project...

Matt

Very nice.

I think we maybe closing in on a RLC. Lots of tweaking going on. This week added a Mae West life Vest to the pilot figure.
    lot of corrections to artwork etc. Here are More paints... RAF, Dutch, USN and Fin. I've edited the screenshots to obscure the Swastikas on the Finnish paint. The
    historically accurate insignias will be present, but I will also ask Dom to provide an alternative for those not wanting them.

Matt

The Buffalos Nemesis... MR3D A6M Zero.

Matt

This was only my fourth flight in this wonderful airplane from VSkylabs. Other times, the main gear collapsed, or the engine caught fire (or a combination of the two for the second flight). This He-162 will eat your lunch if you don't fly it "by the book".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X-System 28-09-2020 14_52.jpg  

A Few more Buffalo Shots taken while testing latest build

Modern Roundels available on the Finnish paint as an option now. Requires renaming the textures.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade408 View Post
    This was only my fourth flight in this wonderful airplane from VSkylabs. Other times, the main gear collapsed, or the engine caught fire (or a combination of the two for the second flight). This He-162 will eat your lunch if you don't fly it "by the book".
    Try landing at about 200 km/h with the power on and only use slow throttle movements.

Soon hopefully. I hope you'll enjoy using it as much as I have. Dom's done a great job of bringing this to XP11.

Matt

Freeware Mirage III and Super Etendard

Matt

Buffalo is released... for those interested.

Matt

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

My First Flight

June 1952 KSFO - KOAK - KVUO - KSEA Western Airlines
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails awxdc3 - 2020-10-06 1.39.06 PM.jpg   awxdc3 - 2020-10-06 1.54.33 PM.jpg  

Ki44 Shoki

Khamsin Chipmunk V11.5

Hydroz PBY Catalina

Matt

MLADG Yak 3

Aerobask Fokker DR1

Khamsin Chipmunk

Matt

Pizzagali F15

Freeware Bell 206

VSkyLabs Rutan Long EZ

XTrident Harrier AV8B

Matt

Buffalo is released... for those interested.

Matt
    Just downloaded, and it's a beauty.

Thanks and kudos to those that helped bring this one to X-Plane.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Members who have read this thread: 42