X-Plane Screenshots - Page 12
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112131415161718192022 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Plane Screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    I'm really liking that freeware Hurricane too! Nice pics guys! I was just thinking back to my flying days and there were more days with haze than without pretty much all over the Continental US,Mexico and Central America.
    I was thinking the same thing when I saw people complaining about haze. I haven't seen the problem haze in X-Plane myself yet (not that I've gotten close to what I expect my real setup will be). But flying up here in the Northeast, it was a very rare day you could see Mt Washington from Nashua. I had days where it looked like a perfectly blue sky from the ground, but I could barely see the ground from 4500 ft due to the haze that was actually there and I had to scoot on down to below 3000 to get home. So, view has looked as expected to me.

A problem I am having on the PBY Catalina is flickering of the bottom half of the screen in some angles in the virtual cockpit (if I look all the way to the right, it goes away, but if I look left it's still there). I tried turning vsync on and off, no effect. I saw a couple mentions of this being a bug in 11 that can be avoided by turning reflections to the lowest level. This didn't help either. So far, I've only noticed it in the PBY Catalina.
    Last edited by FlyingsCool; April 29th, 2019 at 13:22.

Quote Originally Posted by duktus View Post
    Hello olderndirt
    I like your sky textures. How do you get them?

It's rather cold at Bella Coola.

Beti-X CYBD
    JF PA28 Turbo Arrow
    Bell 429

Those are some INCREDIBLE shots!!!!

A-Pilot's J3 Cub - Rosie the Rocketer

My first repaint for X-Plane, kind of, I used Christopher G. Clawson's "Rosie the Rocketer" repaint for J.E. Narcizo's MSFS PA18_V3.zip as a basis for painting A-Pilot's J3 Cub.I may mute the stitching on the wing spars some (maybe add them to the bump map?). Still need to ask for permission to share it since I used their work as the basis. Yeah, it's not super accurate, it's a J3, not an L-4 (different windows), etc. but, hey, I like it... Here's some pics over Nashua, NH....

A few more screenshots of the repaint (including these) https://imgur.com/gallery/IBVpiGb

Hmm, upon further study of period photos of 53-K, it looks like those are D-Day stripes, despite what some later pictures show. Should the stripes continue over the top of the fuselage?

Blog Entries
    No.. If you examine the photograph, youll see they stop half way up..

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    No.. If you examine the photograph, youll see they stop half way up..
    That's on the wing. I meant on the fuselage. I haven't found any pictures of the top of the plane yet.

I am assuming since they didn't put it on the top of the wing, they likely didn't do the top of the fuselage either.

Chris did give me permission to release it. A few more touchups and I'll put it out.

Blog Entries
    That would be a logical conclusion, but i believe it is an incorrect conclusion. My team ran into this very same issue with the original P-61 and what we found was puzzling. Several P-61s stationed in Europe had invasion stripes. Whats odd is that the P-61 wasnt in Europe for D-Day. More puzzling, the stripes were only on the bottom of the wing, but encircled the empennage. I dont have a clue as to why this was done, but apparently, after the invasion the rules for using stripes changed and we end up with several different aircraft painted in the below schemes.

Heres an example of a half painted empenanage.

Therefore, except for the empirical evidence in the photo, any stripe you paint is correct, but considering that the empannage stripes either fully encircled the empennage or stopped halfway up, I can only conclude that your aircraft had stripes on the bottom of the wing and a fully encircled empennage.
    There is of course one more possibility. Looking closely at the photo, we can see that the empennage stripes are worn off at the top of the empennage, and it appears there are no stripes on the bottom. But this is just my impression.

Rosie the Rocketer

That would be a logical conclusion, but i believe it is an incorrect conclusion. My team ran into this very same issue with the original P-61 and what we found was puzzling. Several P-61s stationed in Europe had invasion stripes. Whats odd is that the P-61 wasnt in Europe for D-Day. More puzzling, the stripes were only on the bottom of the wing, but encircled the empennage. I dont have a clue as to why this was done, but apparently, after the invasion the rules for using stripes changed and we end up with several different aircraft painted in the below schemes.

Therefore, except for the empirical evidence in the photo, any stripe you paint is correct, but considering that the empannage stripes either fully encircled the empennage or stopped halfway up, I can only conclude that your aircraft had stripes on the bottom of the wing and a fully encircled empennage.
    There is of course one more possibility. Looking closely at the photo, we can see that the empennage stripes are worn off at the top of the empennage, and it appears there are no stripes on the bottom. But this is just my impression.
    Bottom pictures I have, It's the top I'm missing....

To muddy the waters further, here's the same pilot and plane without the stripes

A little more research turns out some of the modern pictures are someone's interpretation of the plane on a different airframe in Florida. I haven't found any period pictures using the paint scheme they chose. I'm actually a volunteer for the Collings Foundation, so I'll get some more info on the refit of the actual plane in a couple weeks.

Here's a link to their latest magazine, with a story near the back on this aircraft.... https://issuu.com/collingsfoundation...63074/65926028

Blog Entries
    ::LOL:: Oh dear. That DOES muddy the waters a bit more.. Do me a favor would you?? Walk out to Nine - O - Nines and give her a pat on the snout for me would ya?? Love that old girl something fierce.
    As for the pics. Thats Bazooka Charlie (Mad Major) ( Maj. Charles Carpenter ) and those aint rockets, they're bazooka's ( which is where Charlie got his bickname ) The plane is fabric covered ( Piper L4H cub ) and was used throughout WWII. The image you show above of the plane in flight from below, is a US Army archival image ( Looked it up ), so my guess is, its the original plane in its original paint and the stripes are correct. The last image with Charlie next rto the plane was taken after mofifications ( View improvements and plexiglass wing root ) so we can assume rather safely that those were made later in the war, and the stripes were left off during the repaint.

I do believe that all those improvements were part of the L-4H. You can see the same windscreen in the first photo (with the stripes), as well as the rearview mirror, which I've seen in a bunch of photographs of this and other aircraft. The plane in Florida is an L-4J (as is, incorrectly, the manual page internally in the back storage area in my repaint ... Artistic license, I thought it looked better than my L-4H copy, haha, and I ain't no Rembrandt when it comes to recoloring things).

The X-Plane library is officially kicked off...

Now, if I could just get A-Pilot to add in the L-4 canopy, and somebody could teach me how to create objects so I could add in the bazookas...

Oh, and gotta put some better clothes on that pilot.... A nice used A-2 would be nice with olive drab tie and shirt and pants

P.S. As you can see, I left the D-Day stripes off the top. Figured since it was squared off, plus, they likely flew out of fields close to the lines, they'd want to maintain camo on the top, and that the reason the DC-3 and P-61 had it all the way around was probably due to the fact the fuselage is nearly cylindrical back there...

But the lines are in the PSP8 files I included as layers if anyone wants to turn them on (or turn the black lines and/or stencilling off).

Blog Entries
    Your better than you give yourself credit for.. That looks great..

Your better than you give yourself credit for.. That looks great..
    Thanks
    It's a fun little plane to fly. Ground loops pretty easily on landing, tho, easier than I imagine it would be in real life. Seems like X-Plane could be improved a bit in terms of friction and rolling resistance on the ground. Maybe that's something that could be improved by playing with the acf? But I see it across pretty much all the planes I've flown.

Blog Entries
    Yeahhhhh. X-Planes management of single engine tail draggers is notoriously horrid. even my Skymaster has P factor issues, and its a twin. The best advice I've personally seen is to set a button to toggle yaw dampening ( and use it during take off and landing ), then counter the yaw with rudder trim. It works OK..

Soaring in the Lakes

Captains been on the Rum again.........

Typhoon over the Lakes

Members who have read this thread: 47