Best May 1940 end 1940 aircraft available
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best May 1940 end 1940 aircraft available

Best May 1940 end 1940 aircraft available

I'm sort of redoing the aircraft in all the BoF/Bob mission series I have. Are Clive's BoB versions the best we have for the Emil, Hurricane, and Spitfire? AFAIK no other major LW ac have been updated as of yet?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

I sort of suspect the ETO Emils might be newer. In any case the BOB Emils sound is

[fltsim]
    alias=Bf_109G_6\sound while the ETO one is

[fltsim]
    alias=DR_Engine_Sounds\GR_Daimler_ Benz_DB605\sound\

which seems better; in fact I can't even get the Bf_109G_6\sound even though I have it.

Also, looking at the Emils, Ton Fouteman did a whole lot of standalones based on

Original 3D model: Aeroplane Heaven
    Flight Dynamics: Bill "Spitfrnd" Wilson
    Textures: Foute Man
    Weapons: AvHistory
    Flight testing: Bob "Wulfmann" Ruff
    Version: Mk 2.15

END

and I was wondering whether it's possible either to transfer the textures to the ETO/BoB versions or, on the other hand, transfer the 'pit and maybe update the flight dynamics, etc., to the ASH model.

The same would apply to Foutemans other stand alones, Ju87, Hurricane, and Spitfire.

As for German bombers..............

Emil textures are not transferable James, as for pit models and FM's don't know never tried them?
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Well I've compared the air and CFG files with the ETO_bf_109f_4 and the fs_bf109e_01v2, which is the AH bf109.4 ( the BoB_Bf109E-04 seems to be mostly based on the AH version but with differences in the air and cfg files from both), and there are quite a few differences in both the air and cfg files. The FS?AH one seems to be lighter among other things.

I assume either or both you and or Rob are the FM experts these days, so have you ever looked at these, or more importantly, is the ETO Emil most likely to have the correct FM?

As far as the 'pits go, the problem is I don't believe it has a dynamic reticle for the gr_reticle but That possibly can be swapped for the reticle_gr; or another one for that matter. The 'pit layouts are different but can live with that.

ETO

FS and AH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ETO 109.jpg   fs 109.jpg  

Isn't that the old Aeroplane Heaven model? I think it was one of the first aircraft made for CFS3, so it's pretty long in the tooth. The ETO one (originally released with MAW) is one of the nicest aircraft we have, especially the VC, and it has an AvHistory 4.0 FM. No contest between the two IMO.

Yes it is the old AH model. The issue is that a lot of stand alones were made based on it (the E4) and Clives BoB one seems a mix between that and the DR one. So I am wondering if I can port the cfg and air files from the ETO one to those. Am I correct in thinking thos e are the files crucial to the FM?

The flight model is the .AIR and .CFG files. No others involved.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

SOH-CM-2020
    I've tweaked some of the Bob Emil's to reflect newer stuff. In 2004 Mike Wholaver updated cockpit textures for the Bf109 f4, and I think I may have added some of those textures to the shared files in the Bob install.

I attach some of the notes from the v 2.95 of Fouteman's Emils:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fs_bf109e_cockpit2.gif   fs_bf109e_cockpit1.gif   fs_bf109e_cockpit3.gif  
    Attached Files Attached Files

SOH-CM-2020
    So to summarise my thread above, there are three cockpit versions immediately available for the FS Emils, the latest fs_shared files will have Mike Wholaver's 2004 textures (I should have read the stuff before uploading )

So most of mine are FS 2 version but the odd earlier one (FS15,40,54,55), and then I think 65 up have the new pit. So my question is

-Can the new pit be successful installed into the ones without it? Maybe some name changing in the m3d.

-Can a dynamic reticle be applied as in the BoB and ETO versions?

-I would like to update the old FMs but working how to do that. Might ask Rob to do one for me as an example.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Isn't that the old Aeroplane Heaven model? I think it was one of the first aircraft made for CFS3, so it's pretty long in the tooth. The ETO one (originally released with MAW) is one of the nicest aircraft we have, especially the VC, and it has an AvHistory 4.0 FM. No contest between the two IMO.
    Sounds right. Aren't there some W40 prefixed 109s in ETO, presumably with the v4.0 FM? And good cockpits?

OK I managed to put the ETO me 109e4 pit into the fs109e4 together with parts of the eto xdp to give additional F5 pit pilot views. Means I also have dynamic reticle available. Howver as one can see in the jpg, the is one anomaly; any ideas?

In addition on the BoB109, it seems the reticle is not centred in level flight. Is that likely to be just a x co-ordinate issue?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FS109e with BoB pit.jpg   BoB109e4 reticle.jpg  

That would be what you see when the eyepoint is partially inside the fake 3D pilots head.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    That would be what you see when the eyepoint is partially inside the fake 3D pilots head.

You talking about the reticle position? How is that changed? I note the BoB 109 only has one set of pilot views in the xdp.

BTW anyone else having issues with SOH connectivity?

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    You talking about the reticle position? How is that changed? I note the BoB 109 only has one set of pilot views in the xdp.

BTW anyone else having issues with SOH connectivity?
    It's not the reticle position. I believe it's the x,y,z location defined in the m3d file where your head would be located. All of the views from inside the cockpit are created relative to that spot. If it happens to be inside a hollow object (like a 3D pilots head from the external view) you will see the polygons from the inside out. This is usually not a problem if the polygons are textured on only one side and are defined as invisible from the other side, but at certain angles the edges can occasionally show up.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post

In addition on the BoB109, it seems the reticle is not centred in level flight. Is that likely to be just a x co-ordinate issue?
    When you are in cockpit view, sometimes hitting F6 takes you to a view that aligns with the gunsight. If so it will show up as a separate station in the xdp, I assume? The Firepower Me410 is an example of this setup; there are many other examples.

It's not the reticle position. I believe it's the x,y,z location defined in the m3d file where your head would be located. All of the views from inside the cockpit are created relative to that spot. If it happens to be inside a hollow object (like a 3D pilots head from the external view) you will see the polygons from the inside out. This is usually not a problem if the polygons are textured on only one side and are defined as invisible from the other side, but at certain angles the edges can occasionally show up.
    Ah. I think you are talking about the first jpg where I inserted the ETO pit into the FS 109? I was thinking it was part of some dds file which the original FS m3d would use?

So taking a view using Track IR I could see this as well as nothing in a certain head position. So I'm not sure what it actually is but in any case I'll have a look at the (cockpit?) m3d and see what's there to play with.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FS109e with ETO pit2.jpg  

It's the pilot's leather cap. You get this sometimes when substituting cockpit files that are not positioned the same as the original model.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

And it can't be changed in the xdp? Couldn't see how to do it in the m3d.

I believe you would need the original source files.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

So the best I seem to be able to do with the FS_Bf109E4 pit is to have all based on the oits is some of them; I assume version3; such as in fs_bf109e_65v2_cockpit0. Just change the name to fs_bf109e_01v2_cockpit0, etc.

Then I add the xdp effects line

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="GR_OKL_Revi16D_gunsight" PosX="0.00" PosZ="-0.25" PosY="0.7425" Pitch="90" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>

which give a dynamic reticle.

The problem is I still have a static reticle as the m3d called for gr_reticle ( as in pic1) or if I changed it to fs_reticle (renamed reticle_gr) as in pic 2. I note ETO and w40 Bf109E4 m3d's don't seem to call for a reticle , which is what I need; i.e. the transparent sight for the dynamic reticle. Ideas?

Of course this doesn't solve the FM issue; waiting for a volunteer to do one for me to copy!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FS pit3 w dynam ret2.jpg   FS pit3 w dynam ret3.jpg  

Add gr_reticle.dds to the static section of texturemagic.ini and it should go away.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Thanks Andy; that did the trick! I must remember when updating other old aircraft.

Looking at the BoB_Bf109E-04 dynamic reticle, it's off center; see piv. The effects I used are below

FS Bf109e Cockpit 1 or 2, BoB_BF109E-02, BoB_BF109E-04
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="GR_OKL_Revi16D_gunsight" PosX="0.0325" PosZ="0.0" PosY="0.5625" Pitch="90" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>

as
    ETO Bf109E-4, BoB_Bf109E-26, BoB_Bf109E-77
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="GR_OKL_Revic12d-_gunsight" PosX="0.045" PosZ="-0.15" PosY="0.6825" Pitch="90" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>

makes it disappear!

Assume just change x y positions?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BoB_Bf109E-04.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0