Plea for help from @War or CCP guru

Thread: Plea for help from @War or CCP guru

Plea for help from @War or CCP guru

Ok, "plea" might be a little dramatic. Then again, maybe not... I've been trying to troubleshoot this for a couple weeks with no luck, and it's turning into a quixotic sort of a quest lol.

The deal is, FSX@War is partially working for me, and CCP is not, and I suspect (but am not sure) the problems are related. The problems are thwarting my goal of flying @War sorties from a carrier, with an eye towards trying multiplayer ops at some point.

I'll list the relevant points in bullet format to try and avoid a wall of text situation:

-- Win 7 64 pro
    -- FSX-A
    -- Fsx@War 1.2.3
    -- CCP 1.3.4.0
    -- Tacpack 1.4.3.4
    -- FSUIPC 4.x
    -- No additional theaters or packs for @war, just the base pack1.
    -- Tacpack, @War and CCP installers run as admin. @war and CCP programs run as admin.
    -- Antivirus disabled when installing and running.
    -- MIGHT be relevant: a year ago, I moved my FSX install from the default "Program Files (x86)" location to drive F:, a SSD. I created a symlink in windows to this location. FSX and all addons have worked fine since then.
    -- When running CCP and trying to create a convoy or naval task, I see a populated list of vehicles or ships that I have installed, but when I click on one, the error "System.Reflection. TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. -->" results, and CCP closes.
    -- When running @War (with or without CCP installed), I can load a campaign, create a flight with a designated target, AND then fly that flight in FSX. All the @War objects are loaded into the sim, and can then be destroyed (with effects).
    -- HOWEVER, in @War, if I click to select any specific object on the theater map, or choose any object or weapon from the populated lists in the Tactical Reference Editor, the following error is thrown: "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object", and @War closes.

It FEELS to me like this is some sort of permissions error... because in both programs, errors are thrown when it is asked to load an object. I know the objects in question exist (carriers, @war buildings and targets) because they can be loaded into the sim itself by @War, Tacpack etc. It just seems that the @War or CCP GUIs cannot access them?

Other than installing and running as admin, and keeping antivirus disabled, I do not know how else to address a permissions problem. Any suggestions?

Any other ideas would be most welcome. Also, I'm posting this on Sim-Outhouse and the VRS forums because those are the two places I know of where @War users or devs might be likely to see it, now that the @War forums are closed. If anyone knows of another appropriate place to ask, please let me know.

Thanks much for any ideas. I'm well aware that this is all (generously developed) freeware and no one owes me support of any kind, and in the greater scheme it's not important... but I can see the promise here and would like to join the fun. ;-)

This is a tough one.....finding needles in a haystack. It could be a permissions issue, but my guess would be some sort of a registry entry or path issue.
    You could look through your registry and make sure the paths are all pointing to wherever you moved your FSX installation to....but..... you could end up spending the better part of a week trying to track everything down and then trying to fix what you find.

Sometimes the village has to be destroyed in order to save it.

If I were in your shoes, in order to get thins working as quickly as possible, I would do the following:

1. Copy my current FSX installation to a backup location.

2. Uninstall FSX, FSX@War and CCP.....including all their registry entries and associated program folders (within "Program Files", "ProgramData", Users", etc....)

3. Install FSX and then, from your old FSX installation, copy the folders you need/want ("Addon Scenery", "Effects", "Gauges", "SimObjects", etc...)

4. Install FSX@War and CCP.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Thanks Stub, noted. I have considered it. I'm hesitant because I remember that getting all my ORBX stuff playing well together - Vector especially - was a pain I don't want to repeat. Their new style installers are better though, I think....

Can you offer any guidance on which permissions to check out? I may crawl through the registry too... Trying to put off a full new install until I build my new machine... Considering every other addon works normally with the symlink setup, do you think it is likely that the moved sim install is the likely culprit? I was thinking along the lines of a permissions issue failing to allow ccp/@war to follow the symlink, though even installing them within the FSX folder itself on F: doesn't help...

You need to reach out to the VCW-8 virtual wing. They have a mission planner that is working hand in hand with the FSX war guys. They have worked through most issues. There are HUGE problems with FSX@war in its current form. You'll want to talk to "Oz". Don't do anything to your install yet. I don't think that is the issue. But I'm not the expert. Talk to Oz first before you do anything.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    You need to reach out to the VCW-8 virtual wing. They have a mission planner that is working hand in hand with the FSX war guys. They have worked through most issues. There are HUGE problems with FSX@war in its current form. You'll want to talk to "Oz". Don't do anything to your install yet. I don't think that is the issue. But I'm not the expert. Talk to Oz first before you do anything.
    Thanks Rick, I've reached out to them. Whether they can help or not, that seems like a good group with some good resources on their site; thanks for pointing them out to me.

Oz is away from home...for an extended period starting a new job right now... so he probably won't be able to get back to you anytime soon.

FSX@War development has for all intents and purposes stopped. CougarFFW has said that he is planning on creating a new "FSX@War 2.0" sometime in the future, but there is no ETA on that as far as I know.

The newest version of FSX@War doesn't quite have the problems it had in the past, and for single player it works pretty well....though not perfect.
    Multi-player is mainly where it has had issues and although the latest iteration should work better now, Oz and I haven't been able to test the stuff we've been designing with it yet.

The latest version of CCP seems to have an issue with placing aircraft on carrier decks after "start on carrier" is selected. The issue is probably between CCP and Tacpack and how it goes into slew mode.
    To get around this, manually go into slew mode BEFORE connecting the CCP monitor to your FSX/P3D session. This seems to allow it it to properly warp you to the deck. Otherwise CCP appears to work pretty well.

As painful as it is getting things like ORBX to work properly, in the long run, re-installing is the fastest option.
    There are so many things that are dependent on each other that it is almost impossible to fix something that has been broken due to moving a file or folder. Then, if you install something after that point you will risk breaking that trying to fix what you did before.

For me, I have a dedicated SSD drive that has Win7 x64 installed on it.
    On this drive, I have also have:

P3Dv4 installed within the "Program Files" folder (default install)....FSX@War and CCP are installed outside of the "Program Files" folder (within C:\Sim\FSXatWar and C:\Sim\CCP).
    I did not make any adjustments to the permissions.....other than setting FSXatWarEditor.exe and FSXatWarConvoyPlanner_P3D.exe to run as Administrator.

My FSX install is on a different drive (I swap out the drives depending on what I'm testing), but it is set up exactly the same way.

As painful as it is getting things like ORBX and other add-ons to work properly, in the long run, re-installing is the fastest option.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Latest CCP

I had major issues with getting the aircraft on deck. Motus worked personally with me doing change after change until it works perfectly now. Not only can I get on deck, but in JoinFS Navy Chief in P3DV4 can do a follow and get on the carrier with me. The only quirk which we easily worked around was he ends up in the hanger bay and has to adjust altitude to 61 feet and then he is right there on deck. We took screenshots which he posted at the VFA 192 Facebook page of two A-7E Corsair II's VA-192 schemes last week. I am sure that Motus has no problem with me sharing my CCP version which I hope solves your problems with CCP. I have FSX@War but except for looking at it as a single user have not done anything with it. I will post a new reply here with a link to a CCP.zip folder a little later.

CCP Latest Version

Here is the very latest version personally created for us with problems by Motus.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ce8dc4tax27u159/Setup_CCP_1.3.4.1.zip?dl=0

Tgy, thanks much for that link. I will test it out when I'm home this week.

I appreciate all the other input. I recognize that I might end up needing a reinstall eventually, but that's a project that will likely wait until after summer now. In the meantime, I will definitely keep working on it here and there and see if i can get lucky.

Well, no dice with that new installer, Tgy. I appreciate you sharing it though.

OK, here's a more concrete question: when @War and/or CCP are installed, where are they reading the FSX install path from? I see in ASToFra.FSUtils.dll, there is a call for "get_FSXPath", and further down that .dll, (line 1918), the standard FSX install path is stored (c:\program files\microsoft games\flight simulator x). Where is that install path being read from during the @War or CCP install?

My assumption would be the registry. I've tried to modify the reg key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsof t Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\AppPath" key to the actual install location on the F: drive, thus bypassing the symlink... but when I then install @War and view that .dll, it has the same default Microsoft install location. Where is it reading that from?

Thanks...

Members who have read this thread: 1