Battle of the Hudsons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Hudsons

Battle of the Hudsons

Hi Flyers,

I was looking at Lockheed Hudson models last night and I see that both Virtavia and FSAddOns both have FSX compatible Hudson models available. Has anyone used either of these and if so what did you think?

Are there are other FSX/P3D compatible Hudson/Model 14 models out there worth considering?
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

FSAddOn.

More models. More animations. More textures. All for about the same price.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

I have both and would also recommend the FSAddon - not that the Virtavia model is bad, just looks older and, as WarHorse notes, has fewer model and skin options.

I have both and agree with the above. More models and skins with the FS Add On.

Didn't quite escape.
    I think there was a patch to tone down the dayglo green interior of the FSAddon models, which is the only complaint I'd have against them.

As above, I have both and while the paints are possibly better on the Virtavia one, get the FSAddon one for all the extra variants.

Ian P.

I swear Francois is the pilot in his model

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I have the FSAddon Hudson and would highly recommend it.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    I think there was a patch to tone down the dayglo green interior of the FSAddon models, which is the only complaint I'd have against them.

Ian P.
    Any idea where one might find that patch? I find nothing on their website.
    -- WH

Didn't quite escape.
    I thought it was on the FS Addon site... Unless Francois uploaded a new installer with the replacement textures in? Might be worth dropping them a line to find out.

If not, I guess I'd better go apply a desaturation filter and send some new ones!

Ian P.

I thought it was on the FS Addon site... Unless Francois uploaded a new installer with the replacement textures in? Might be worth dropping them a line to find out.

If not, I guess I'd better go apply a desaturation filter and send some new ones!

Ian P.
    Francois is unaware of any such patch. A search of the various download sites came up empty. Get your filter on...
    -- WH

The Virtavia has been half off at pcaviator for ever, but I do like the fact that the FSAddons has civilian variants, but the neon blue on there model 14 looks awful. I found a paint kit but it looks like it’s just for the Hudson
    Joe Cusick

Didn't quite escape.
    I'll have a look at it. It's been ages since I poked at the paint kit, so I may be gone some time while I find it!

Ian P.

I'll have a look at it. It's been ages since I poked at the paint kit, so I may be gone some time while I find it!

Ian P.
    Thanks for taking this on. I'm looking forward to it. The FSAddOn Hudson VC could use a color change and some weathering, if possible.
    -- WH

I do have this elusive update for the FSAddons Hudson/Lodestar package. It was issued by FSAddons.

I purchased the FSAddons Hudson package on 17 August 2012. The update was released in March 2013 by FSAddons Publishing.

It is a very substantial update of models, textures, Aircraft.cfg and the various Airfiles. I would like to share the update (titled FSAD-Hudson-Upd1), but is would appear to be almost the complete product, and as such is copyrighted payware by FSAddons.

I would be willing to provide the update to Francois for re-publishing on his site, assuming it has not been superceded by an updated base install file. I have no idea how to contact Francois at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by llanning08 View Post
    I do have this elusive update for the FSAddons Hudson/Lodestar package. It was issued by FSAddons.

I purchased the FSAddons Hudson package on 17 August 2012. The update was released in March 2013 by FSAddons Publishing.

It is a very substantial update of models, textures, Aircraft.cfg and the various Airfiles. I would like to share the update (titled FSAD-Hudson-Upd1), but is would appear to be almost the complete product, and as such is copyrighted payware by FSAddons.

I would be willing to provide the update to Francois for re-publishing on his site, assuming it has not been superceded by an updated base install file. I have no idea how to contact Francois at this time.
    Go to the FSAddons Publishing web site and there is a link for contacting them (Francois). I think he's a member here at SOH so you can also send him a PM.
    -- WH

Didn't quite escape.
    Francois@[the_company_URL] is the best way to get him.

I can't find the patch now, either, so we could really do with getting it back available again!

Ian P.

Ohh.. this is getting complicated. I purchased the Hudson on March 27, 2013 so I may not need the patch? Need to do some more research.

I thought it was just a patch for the VC textures, but it sounds like a lot more.
    -- WH

The FSAD-Hudson-Upd1 appears to be updating a file named lhb_wing_nacelle.dds for each version and texture folder of the Hudson package. This patch isn't changing any VC textures.

I will be contacting Francois tomorrow. Just after I made my previous post, my cable ISP disappeared and returned less than 30 minutes ago.

Again, if the problem is VC textures, this patch does not deal with the VC textures.

I also have both the FSAddons and Alphasim Hudsons. I think the FSAddons Hudson is a better package (with the whole series modeled) than the Alphasim (only the Mk.V & Mk.VI modeled)
    Last edited by llanning08; June 15th, 2018 at 16:33.

First comes the Hudson base pack, which for P3D is FSAD-SM-ser-Hudson-P3D.exe

Next comes the patch, FSAD-Hudson-Upd1.exe

Finally, the expansion pack with more models, which is HudsonEXP-SCP-wos.exe

They are installed in that order, of course - patch before update, otherwise weirdness results.

I ended up getting the FSAddon's Hudson package, mainly because it had more civilian models but noticed some strange things with some of the textures.

This is the base Model 14, SAA would not be my first choice of liveries and the blue is way oversaturated but its not too bad.

This is the civilian livery for the Mark 3 from the expansion pack, as you can see something is not quite right with the textures.

This is the military livery for the Mark 3, as you can see it has the same problem, the question is it the texture or the model.

This is the texture for the Mk 3 Civilian on the Model for the L-14, it looks much better there and is quite usable, so the problem with the Mk3 model not the texture.
    Joe Cusick

Didn't quite escape.
    Just a guess, but I suspect that the messed up files were converted to DDS but not flipped. Flipping the texture vertically will probably fix that.

Ian P.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Because of this thread and the release of Milton's Harpoon, I decided to reinstall my Hudson pack yesterday, but I don't have your issues:

Might I suggest a reinstall, see if that fixes the problem?

Edit: I don't have an update, I just installed the base pack and the expansion pack.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

I got just the base pack and the expansion, the mk3 is in the expansion only, there is no update, I would have hoped they would have rolled it into the base pack by now. I tried it in both P3D and FSX and I have the same problem.

The interesting thing is that for the civ texture in question it works on one model but not on another, I tried the TWA Lodestar texture with the L-14 and while it did not work perfectly, it did not have the same problem that the Mk3 had. The Mk3 has the problem with both the textures provided for it. Based on what I have seen I think the issue is the Mk3 model and not the textures, I will see if I can figure out how to flip the texture and see what it looks like.
    Joe Cusick

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    I got just the base pack and the expansion, the mk3 is in the expansion only, there is no update, I would have hoped they would have rolled it into the base pack by now. I tried it in both P3D and FSX and I have the same problem.

The interesting thing is that for the civ texture in question it works on one model but not on another, I tried the TWA Lodestar texture with the L-14 and while it did not work perfectly, it did not have the same problem that the Mk3 had. The Mk3 has the problem with both the textures provided for it. Based on what I have seen I think the issue is the Mk3 model and not the textures, I will see if I can figure out how to flip the texture and see what it looks like.
    Hey Joe, if you haven't already it might be worth your while searching back on this forum for the FSAddon Hudson release thread and subsequent update release and repaints. I recall there was a discussion about Aussieman's repaint textures not aligning with the model; and also some problems with the auto-installer for the update not putting files in the right place (manual installing seemed to work).
    If, as you say, the base pack has not been updated, some of these issues may still be lurking around.

Just a guess, but I suspect that the messed up files were converted to DDS but not flipped. Flipping the texture vertically will probably fix that.

Ian P.
    Agree

As Ian said install dxtbmp and
    Open the program file
    Find the texture file drag it across and
    Select the image tab and then
    Select flip image and alpha then finally
    Save as dxt5 dds

Members who have read this thread: 2